914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/28/24 12:46 p.m.

BMC (Binghamton Machine Company) lost a lot of work as WWII came to a close so they made pedal cars until orders for something came in.  In the early 1950s though, Murray bought up and pretty much cornered the market on pedal cars, tractors etc.  

BMCs are unique in that they don't pedal with push rods but with a chain and gears like a bicycle.  Got this one at a garage sale.  The exhaust in back is just a bit of tubing, the the solid bar in the center is framed in like a draw-tite hitch and I made a removable solid bar so you can push the thing along.  The blanket/seat is well cushioned and removable for washing, as are the dingle balls.  The patina has more class than I could ever give with a can of paint, so it stays.

More pics later when the wheels are done.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/14/24 12:25 p.m.

Followup:

The new wheels finally came in, time to try it out.  Sidney's got on his "Car Show Shirt "  and beaming with the pedal car.   The detachable push rod helps Dad's back!

The detachable handle.

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter Reader
7/15/24 6:51 p.m.

That is awesome!

Are there supposed to be actual pedals on the cranks?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
7/16/24 7:42 a.m.

Custom steering wheel upgrade too. I remember being jealous of a neighbor who had one of these when I was Sydney's age. It would flat run away from all the other kids' Murrays and later even my Giordani which didn't arrive until most of the Murrays were trashed. The flat street at the end of the block had a pretty steady "pick up" race going most nice afternoons. I still have a one owner Giordani Indianapolis which also needed a new steering wheel by the time I outgrew it. Dad mane made with a stainless core and tape wrapped plywood rim when the original plastic one failed.

Excess roll stiffness made it understeer a lot, not so obvious from this photo, but this is "the" corner I learned on, and todays tire wear proves both! I sure would have liked the push bar myself this pic is at the bottom of a 100 yard hill I pushed it up many times...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/16/24 8:05 a.m.

In reply to RandolphCarter :

Yes.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/29/24 8:24 a.m.

Well, the 2nd one is finally finished.  It's a Murray that reminds me of a late 50s Mercury.  The paint is a GM color, seat material is from my old 1952 Dodge.  There's a TON of suppliers for pedal car parts!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
7/29/24 8:56 a.m.

Adjustable pedal position on the Murray is something my Giordani lacks. Sydney is far too short to push in the Giordani as built.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/29/24 9:48 a.m.

Well dang. Today I realized I need to get an old-school pedal car for my kid.

All of these are way cool.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
7/29/24 10:15 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Be warned! All of these will with enough incline attain speeds far in excess of their chassis capabilities. Prior to the Giordani I still have I totaled a Murray Jeep against the phone pole in front of my house. Dr. said the toy helmet that was also destroyed prevented skull fracture. It speed wobbled on landing from the 2" flugplatz in the sidewalk. None have precise steering for very long from new. Replica Giordanis and Murrays have been available for seemingly forever.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KfakOFdGTbrfqwUxNSN5POB64owvMvI4SAPini1X9vJW8CxC2iuPXdsteoYJHsT6