1 2 3
t25torx
t25torx Dork
9/15/16 6:53 a.m.

Work started yesterday with me laying out and cutting the wood for the back wall using the measurements from my plans.

Once it was all cut, I assembled it according to plan. Having an air nailer really made this go fast.

The back wall went up and was held in place by some temporary side braces once I had it level.

Then I did the rinse and repeat for the two sides.

Pretty soon I had something resembling a framed up building.

The front wall was a little tricky with the door opening and making sure it was square. But pretty soon it was up also.

I than added the support for the window. This came out of the old shed and needs a thorough cleaning before final installation.

I was losing the sun by this point so I made most of my cuts for the door pieces after I had to rework the design a little and remeasure it all. This will all get slapped together into doors today.

Hopefully I can get the doors built pretty quick and then start work on the roof trusses and get all the framing done, ready for metal work by the weekend.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/15/16 7:51 a.m.

No pics again

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/15/16 7:58 a.m.

I can see the pics.
Looking forward to your door construction.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
9/15/16 8:46 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: No pics again

Should be fixed. Google Photos strikes again.. I need a new photo hosting solution I think.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/15/16 9:18 a.m.

In reply to t25torx:

Imgur works really well. Now that you are "settled" into your new place email me your address, I have something to send to you.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/15/16 2:40 p.m.
t25torx wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: No pics again
Should be fixed. Google Photos strikes again.. I need a new photo hosting solution I think.

Yeah I've had that issue too. I don't see what was wrong with Picasso that needed changing. Works now

t25torx
t25torx Dork
9/16/16 9:04 p.m.

So when last I left, I had a pile of lumber ready to be made into doors waiting on me. I still needed to cut my cross braces but that would be easier once I had the doors partially assembled and squared up. So that's what I did.

Now I had measurements for the cross braces on the SketchUp model, but somethings are just easier to do by tracing. So with my frames built I just laid them on top of the crossbrace 2x4 I had marked down the centerline, then traced the angle cuts needed.

I repeated this step three more times and slotted them into place. I marked the locations of the hinges I was going to use and then hung the doors.

They even fit pretty good. I did have to trim the header panel a little due to a warped 2x4 in it.

Up next were the trusses. The end trusses were easy, they just have flat bottoms, I used my measurements from the sketch to get those correct. Then I did the ends that would be in the middle trusses. These were a little more time consuming due to the stair step design. I had copied the measurements onto paper for getting my template right. It came out pretty good. So I used this in conjunction with a tracing I had made of the first truss on the shed floor to get the angles all matching.

I used the back 2x4 of the shed as a template stop to help line everything up.

Once I had all my pieces cut I then used my mini-sledge to hammer on some mending plates. They say on them that they aren't for trusses, well you can't tell me what to do Mr. Mending plate, your not my dad! (The old shed trusses had these exact style plates on it)

Repeated this about seven times and I had all my trusses finally.

Time to throw these guys up on top! My retired neighbor pitched in to help me do this part (guess I looked like I needed help) with the ends on I braced them with some more 2x4's and then put the middle trusses in place. Tying all them together where the 1x4's all the way across.

And there it is! All ready for metal work next week. I'll go pick it up this weekend if possible and get a bunch of rubber washer screws and exterior calk.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/16/16 9:49 p.m.

That's a jaunty roofline. I like it!

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
9/16/16 9:52 p.m.

Looks like a good critter house under the shed. That a concern in your hood?

t25torx
t25torx Dork
9/16/16 10:24 p.m.

It's called a Saltbox roofline, I had a shed like it at the house before we moved to FL and liked the design so much I decided to make this one like it.

NOHOME wrote: Looks like a good critter house under the shed. That a concern in your hood?

With two cats of our own and the occasional neighbor cat I don't have any worries about critters under there. But with the height it is, getting under there to clean it out won't be that hard either should something decide to hang out.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
9/17/16 7:54 a.m.

Cats are useless against anything bigger than a mouse (except another cat).

A raccoon, possum, or a skunk comes around and all 3 of the E36 M3s who demand food from me are up on the bed cowering.

I guess I feed them too often.....

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
9/21/16 6:39 a.m.

canoe with useful information?

I like the shed. I'd love to build one so I can clear out the undergrosh and my main garage. buut. my neighborhood requires the shed or any out building match the house, which means at least vinyl siding or hardiboard and it'd have to look like cedar to match my house. (or be brick.)...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/21/16 8:20 a.m.

Learn masonry, build a brick shed. That would be incredible to read about. You have the best ideas Mad.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
9/21/16 8:52 a.m.

I know masonry somewhat, you sponsor me and I'll build it out of brick. :P

t25torx
t25torx Dork
9/26/16 9:30 a.m.

Update from last week. I had to take a couple days off building for other things around the house, and also had to drive out and get the metal for the shed. I got a pretty smokin' deal though. Found an ad for scratch and dent metal roofing on Craigslist and decided to check it out. I got Galvalum for the roof at $1.00 a linear foot, and barn red for the walls at $1.15 a foot. Trim was like 6 bucks a piece. I think I ended up spending about $300 for all of it together. The most expensive piece was the polycarb section for the skylight at $4 a foot.

Got started on it Friday and got the whole roof done.

Stuff is pretty easy to mess with, I cut it down with my 4.5 inch angle grinder and a cutoff wheel.

I had the first piece up and was figuring out how to do the skylight, when I realized I would need a couple more furring strips to hold up the overlapping edges, thankfully I remembered seeing some wood the previous owners had left behind in the garage. I went and checked, and sure enough I had 2 8 foot 1x4's that I needed in there. Huzzah.

With those strips screwed into place I cut the poly section in half to make it 6 foot, this would have a 2 foot section of metal above and below it in the 10ft run.

This was the longest part, just getting everything lined up and screwed together. But pretty soon I had a skylight in place. I went with the translucent panels instead of the full clear panel, figured the light would difuse better with these and provide better indoor lighting overall.

With the last sheet in place I had about 2 inches in overlap, so I trimmed that off with the cutoff wheel.

I started on the front next, lining up the ridges with the back panels. I cutt all the pieces for the front at one time, which made it go a lot faster.

Pretty soon I had a new roof. Once the walls go up I can get my trim cut and in place and get the roof cap on.

This week should see it completed.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
9/26/16 10:22 a.m.

Looking good!

crewperson
crewperson New Reader
9/26/16 11:14 a.m.

What's the plan for ridge cap?

t25torx
t25torx Dork
9/26/16 4:53 p.m.
crewperson wrote: What's the plan for ridge cap?

Just the standard metal cap. I may do some ridge vent later on, or leave it and do side vents, haven't decided.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/26/16 8:12 p.m.

Nothing like screwing steel on to reveal whether you built the frame square. Looks good.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
9/29/16 8:52 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Nothing like screwing steel on to reveal whether you built the frame square. Looks good.

Yeah I must have done a pretty decent job, most all my metal edges lined up and all my cuts are on parallel with the factory cuts.

Now for the work on the shed these past couple of days.

I started prepping for the sides going on by installing the rat guard lower trim, This will keep rodents out of the building, I'll also probably still shoot some expanding foam in behind the ridges from the inside later though as it's not really bug tight.

I measured and snapped a chalk line to keep the install level and even.

The fun part was doing the 45's for the corners, here's on of my better ones.

Once all the rat-guard was up I measured and cut my first piece. Did a test fit and all seemed good, so then I cut 3 more to that length and installed them.

I made sure to run the ridges inline with the roof ridges to make the tops butt up closer together. I will shoot some expanding foam here on the inside also to seal the gaps.

The back wall went pretty fast, the sides took quite a bit more time. I had to screw the metal on then trace the roofline onto the back of the panel, then remove, cut and reinstall fully. Took about 30 minutes per piece.

Once I had my rough line I used my straight edge to make a more consistent line for cutting.

Then after a little while longer I had all that side cut and installed, the other side went about the same.

That took all the day Monday, so Tuesday I started on the front, it would be slow going for that also. Lots of trimming and holes to cut.

But in the end I had a fully skinned shed.

Roof trim went next, and was also very time consuming.

At the end of the day I had this thing!

I need to get some deeper hinges for the doors, the ones I used for mock up are just standard door hinges and don't stick out form the doors far enough to clear the J-Trim around the opening. Then I can skin my doors and install the lock/handle and call her done.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/29/16 9:54 a.m.

Very cool. I've been looking at metal siding and roof panels to build some temporary garages or to replace the failing cover on my Shelter Logic garage. Got a link to the ones you used? Thanks.

Having done both a pure diy build, and from a kit, going with a kit is definitely faster. Granted, I had a lot more help when I built the kit (at my ex's house).

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/29/16 12:54 p.m.

Looks great - Any provisions for a vent? All that foam will make it fairly air tight (fairly), and could be ridiculously hot in the summer.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/29/16 2:26 p.m.
Scooter wrote: Awesome work so far. One great thing about my new house is that it has a size able shed out back that's water tight and in great shape. Without a shed, your garage is a shed.

After many years I've become tired of this simple truth. Either the garage or my basement (since I have a walkout) is the shed.

I really need a shed.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
9/29/16 2:53 p.m.

Looks great! The large translucent panels are a nice touch.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
9/30/16 11:25 a.m.

Alright gents. Shed is like 99.5% done at this point. Still trying to figure out what type of door lock I want and need to build a ramp now.

The last bit of issues all related to getting the doors back on and skinned.

With the old hinges I didn't have enough area for the hinge to screw down to fully when they were pushed out to go over the j-trim.

Everywhere I looked local didn't have the extra wide throw hinges I needed and the ones online where very expensive. So I did what any GRMer would do. I built my own. I got some security hinges since I don't want the pins being popped out and having it broke into. Then took some regular hinges, and removed the pin, split them up and welded them onto the ends of the security hinge, cut the barrels off and smoothed them all out.

Here's the homemade hinges in place, you can see how they give the extra room for the door skin and the j-trim.

After that I skinned the doors with the parts cut from the door hole. And then I had a couple working doors

It needs a bath, along with a lock and I also need to seal it all up to keep wasps and stuff out.

I'm also trying to figure out what to do about this seam between the doors. I need to find a super thin piece of u-channel to slip over the edge or something, any ideas would be appreciated.

When I get the ramp built I'll just put a piece of flashing over this to tie the ramp and floor together and cover those open ridges.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u2n8hHECcXJZB9coG0ts3rtWaxYQZop6O1aQN5fqquO1Nt6oCMm2COFWr1pqWVBX