1 2 3 4
dextervw
dextervw New Reader
12/9/20 9:25 a.m.

Hows progress?

notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork Reader
12/9/20 5:12 p.m.

Stopped work on the Mini. Even though I found the correct VIN turns out that there is no way to get it titled here in Massachusetts without documentation that I simple don't have. It's sitting and waiting for Spring when I'll toss it up for sale. Possibly someone in New Hampshire or Maine might want to own it as those state don't require anything more than a Bill of Sale to title and register a car.

dextervw
dextervw New Reader
12/10/20 8:20 a.m.

In reply to notsafeforwork :

Shame.   Don't discount RI either.  How much would you be looking to get for it?  Can you post some pictures?  I know a few people looking for minis. 

Dave

notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork Reader
12/10/20 4:35 p.m.

Rhode Island is locked up as tight as Massachusetts . . . going to shift my time/money/energy over to the Fiat 600, just park the Mini in  the garage until Spring/Summer. Might honestly  need more than a few parts off of it for the Fiat.

autocomman
autocomman New Reader
12/11/20 11:58 a.m.

Its pretty stupid states dont have a way to get it registered.  I went through this with a Corvair rampside recently in CA that had fallen out of the system.  Multiple trips to the DMV, CHP for VIN verification etc etc.  I was able to finally get it titled again.  My mini is registered as a 73, and I bought it cause it had current registration and a title.  How legit that year is?  Not gonna say, but its a mini and its California titled.  One day it will get a build thread as its on a rotisiree right now.  But yeah, minis espically since they wernt sold here since 67 everything after that is grey market/imported.  With cali smog laws a lot were re VIN numbered.  So who knows on a lot of em.  So far as I know the mini only had the tag under the hood for the VIN.  Sucks to see a project go by like that, but what are ya gonna do

dextervw
dextervw New Reader
12/11/20 1:53 p.m.

In reply to autocomman :

We don't seem to have an issue here in RI,  I've reg'ed things without paperwork even.  Just takes a little time and effort and the ability to roll with the punches. 

notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork Reader
12/11/20 2:49 p.m.

Things must have changed since you did that, they now longer register on a Bill of Sale. When was the last time that you put a car on the road or applied for a title. My Buddy got shut down last month (or maybe two months ago) because he didn't have a title or a previous registration. Connecticut evidently just fell in line with Massachusetts just a few weeks ago. 

"How legit that year is?  Not gonna say," that's a risky option should you get into an accident though. Repairs estimated for an early Mini won't match up with the costs to repair an newer Mini. Parts won't exactly fit and such. Opens the door for insurance fraud, especially if they're paying out for a total with the value of early models exceeding those of the later cars. Nothing that I'd be willing to take on.

"So far as I know the mini only had the tag under the hood for the VIN" Beginning in the 80's (or later 70's) they also had the VIN stamped on the scuttle, usually hidden under the engine bay rubber seal. That's where I found the VIN on my car. It had been previously registered based on the Mark I VIN plate in the front. It's a Mark V.

Thinking that, after I pull everything that I need from the Mini, I'm gonna chop it up into bite sized pieces and make a video of it all for You Tube . . . ought to a LOT of fun and make for one HELL of a vid. Something to kick off the Spring—

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/11/20 3:03 p.m.

In reply to notsafeforwork :

Race cars do not need registration. They are almost always sold on Bill of sale. A lot of guys would love to buy the beginnings of a race car and will pay you a whole lot more than scrap metal prices. 

Coder
Coder GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/11/20 3:16 p.m.

Have you checked with your DMV to see if a bonded title is an option?  I don't know about your state, but here in Missouri, you can have the VIN ran and as long as it doesn't come back as stolen, you can get a "bonded title" for it.  This title is just like a normal title, except you are agreeing that should the car be reported stolen, you will take responsibility and the car will be returned to the proper owner.  After 3 years you can file to have the bonded title converted into a standard title.  Just a thought!  Sorry you ran into so much trouble!

notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork Reader
12/11/20 4:11 p.m.

"Have you checked with your DMV to see if a bonded title is an option? "

Not here in Massachusetts.

There are no open doors nor avenues to getting this registered and titled here in Massachusetts; it's a big black hole full of taxes and idiots !

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gDnGX2MuHuxUdZGphg537OtUXwceRX4GDmsDhDFWP9ReEAIMMtfuA8oVzcd9uNqG