Griff
Griff
11/13/20 6:08 p.m.

Long story on my 1990 Acura Integra GS... a short time ago I scratched a cam journal removing the intake cam. I posted on here and a few other places and I was told to just sand it down lightly to remove any burrs and it would be fine. 

I did that and slapped it all back together hoping I wouldn't have any further issues.

Well today I pulled it apart to adjust valves and check the journal and I found something concerning to me. I have driven it about 2-300 miles since slapping it all back together. When I pulled the journal it all looked fine until I notices a small metal flake wedged in between the head and cam inside the journal. 

I found 2 - 3 little flakes (pictured bellow on cloth, it's that small flake on the oil spot) and when I tightened the cap back on metallic oil was pushed out from where the bolt is (also pictured). I also have pictures of what the cam and journal looked like today (no scratches that could catch my finger nail and they look pretty much the same as when I put it together as far as I can tell). 

What does everyone think? Could these metallic specs just be some kind of result of the used cam I put it breaking into the head? Or could the metallic flakes just be the previous journal damage wearing off and it will go away and not cause an issue once worn? Or am I SOL and need a new head/machine work?

Here are pictures in order of the initial damage, and then what it looked like after I sanded it. 

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/13/20 6:12 p.m.

I can't comment on where the flakes came from, but from here that journal looks good to me. 

Griff
Griff New Reader
11/13/20 10:13 p.m.

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

The cam and cap journal both feel fine to me. Someone on another forum mentioned that possibly I didn't get all the burrs out from the cap and running it simply took those off, resulting in some metallic flakes. 

I will probably do an oil and filter change with some T5 soon here and recheck it, but hoping someone says it's no biggie to put my mind to rest. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/20 5:49 a.m.

In reply to Griff :

The cam/journals looked worse on my DSM looked worse than yours & the general consensus was they were ok. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GVIR2EAKsDxkDbYdo5mSFyAu0Qd9F2tOvfFe61ypWOPdTAq6qsnxFyxwkH572Q0Z