TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
7/20/24 4:24 p.m.

Waiting in the que after the SVO was my youngest son's 40th Anniversary edition Pontiac Grand Prix (it was my Mom' car) . It was hit by someone with out of state tags, license etc. and it ended up they had expired insurance (even though it was deemed her fault they tried to file a claim against my insurance for their car).  Of course it was "totaled" even though it was driven home. Thankfully I had uninsured motorist and I received the value of the car minus a $200 buy back. Finding a hood was a challenge (not even used was available) ....finally  one was on Rockauto and it showed up with minor shipping damage....no way I was going to return it since they seem to be unobtainium ( I think old cars are easier to get parts for than a twenty year old one!) We spray bombed the bumper cover and will do the hood that way .....(used color matched Automotivetouchup.com with 2K clear).

Thankfully it will not have a "salvage" title etc. because MD and my insurance do not do that :)

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
7/20/24 4:39 p.m.

Guess how old my son is.....

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
8/25/24 1:15 p.m.

About done ....

Lessons learned:

- Aftermarket bumper cover & headlights do not fit like OEM

- Rattle cans randomly decide to spatter 

- Sometimes good enough is good enough! (It's a 20 footer ..... )

- You can't have too much light when painting! Even though I bought more lights it wasn't enough as I have a couple of runs to fix in the clear coat because the light wasn't good enough! (That's why the scoops aren't back in yet.)

- My body work skills aren't horrible as the shipping damage dent and bent corner I repaired are not there anymore.

It was great to work on it with my son! And it is back on the road for about 1K.

Now I can concentrate on Lotus stuff!

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
9/8/24 6:46 p.m.

Sanded and buffed .... looks like I should have wiped the dust off before taking a pic ...

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/9/24 9:24 a.m.

even though it was deemed her fault they tried to file a claim against my insurance for their car

That's a pretty bold move.

Good job on the repair, it looks good as new. I'm not sure how many people would have put in the effort to fix the car, so hats off to you.

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
9/9/24 11:13 a.m.

Thumbs up for the turquoise Festiva!!  :)

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
9/9/24 5:45 p.m.

It was my Mom's car and she gave it to my son :) 

I need to give the Festiva some attention soon! I actually miss driving the darn thing!

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
9/9/24 7:39 p.m.
TurboFource said:

Guess how old my son is.....

15?

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
9/9/24 7:41 p.m.

Would you believe 23?

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
9/23/24 7:53 a.m.

Had a piece of trim that needed reattached .... creative clamping at work ... door alignment shims for more pressure on the ends as they wanted to curl out ...

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
9/23/24 8:27 a.m.

Backing up a minute, the bumper and hood were painted with spray cans??   They look amazing

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
9/23/24 12:33 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

They were!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QUcaSCUExetclpt88FzPecqOlZoXssVnhzHPBCaczxnwPmqgc0hpeY5JmPNrArVI