1 ... 14 15 16 17
TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
3/30/24 7:25 p.m.

Picked up a Renault NG3 5 speed transaxle and an adapter for some Toyota bolt pattern from another forum member (Thanks!) . The challenge is to find something to fit the 23 spline male output shafts .... I found something :)  

This probably won't go in the Europa .... but something else turned mid-engine

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
3/30/24 7:26 p.m.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/30/24 11:05 p.m.

Glad it made it to you in piece, excited to see where it ends up!

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
3/31/24 7:19 a.m.

Gixx,

I am looking forward to completion of your Europa!

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
4/1/24 3:38 p.m.

Hanging out under the dash today ….  :help: Speedo cable, oil pressure gauge line and pedals installed.

They call this the "Lotus position" ....

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
4/22/24 5:05 p.m.

The struggle resumes … unfortunately I do mean struggle  :-\
The Europa specific radiator hoses I bought didn’t work, the bottom one needed cut and spun because the bend orientation to each other was wrong and the bend was larger so I had to trim some fiberglass to get it on the coolant tube. The upper one needed cut and spun to reorient the bends and shortened almost 2 inches  :(.  Adding two pieces of aluminum tubing and 4 more hoses clamps is not “simplify”. The clutch cable abutment bracket holes did not line up with the original hole spacing and were closer together so I made a threaded plate to spread the load….why does everything have to be a challenge  :confused:

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
5/4/24 9:38 p.m.

Went to a British car show today because the featured marque was Lotus ….ironically the
damp gloomy English weather kept the cars away …. ???

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
5/6/24 4:10 p.m.

Made an adjustable pedal stop so I can easily adjust how close the pedals are to me…

I was able to salvage the passenger seat track to use on the drivers seat because it’s set was fairly dissolved from water like the original pedal set was …. so much to my dismay but also logical, the seat foam absorbed that water like a sponge and lightened the seat far more than I anticipated   :-\

Is there a seat drawing available ?  

What are seat options? Thought I was past the fabrication stage ….  :o :( …

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/6/24 4:15 p.m.

Yikes!  On the plus side, the construction appears to be basic sheet metal and might not be too hard to fix? 

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
5/6/24 4:17 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) : I can fix it ..... everything being a challenge is slowly getting to me .....

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/6/24 4:19 p.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

I can totally understand/relate to that.  

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
5/9/24 9:13 p.m.

May have found some original seats that will save me from going down the unwanted path of rusty seat rebuild hell !

gixxeropa
5/10/24 8:21 a.m.

Just be aware that twin cam and s2 seats are different (lean back angle and mounting points), some people sell replacements as one size fits all

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
5/10/24 3:12 p.m.

Gixx,

I am aware of that, I have been offered both styles.

Thanks for the reminder!

gixxeropa
5/10/24 3:24 p.m.

Even Europa engineering/Banks is guilty of this on some of their products. I think I also saw some people using GT40 kit car seats as an alternative in their Europas. Not sure on the specifics

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
5/10/24 10:25 p.m.

The GT40 seats at least look period correct in a Europa!

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
6/15/24 6:51 p.m.

Solid seats should be headed my way from California any day now! 

Met a guy in Antigua last week that has been racing Ford  E.s.c.o.r.t.s (why won't it take this model?) since the '70s .....met him while on vacation, very nice fellow who's daily driver is an Aston Martin DB11 8)

His BDG Ford E.s.c.o.r.t on builders site in Wales: https://www.walesmotorsport.co.uk/rally-cars/v/54-ron-morgan-historic-Ford Econobox-mk2/

Racing in New Zealand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGnFLeqzv4

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
6/17/24 3:55 p.m.

Back at it!

- Routed turbo coolant hoses, oil pressure gauge line etc.

I think this thing is like building a ship in a bottle using only one hand most of the time!

There is a lot going on around the turbo and minimal space!

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
6/18/24 1:55 p.m.

Bean can starter heat shield ….there is a bit of air gap on both sides. I even painted the can with high heat paint.

“Bush’s beats the heat!”  ::)

I also added nylon sheet to coolant tubes to prevent parking brake "U" from wearing into them...much easier to say than do!

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve HalfDork
6/19/24 11:08 p.m.

I love it, finding tidy solutions to tight problems is always so satisfying, even secondhand

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
6/20/24 6:33 a.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

I have been wondering if anyone is following this :)

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/20/24 7:58 a.m.

Yes.  Yes, we are!

I am excited to see this thing rip!  It's quite cool!

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
6/20/24 8:50 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr : Thanx!

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
6/20/24 8:57 a.m.

English sports cars with  flimsy chassis construction, ludicrous power to weight ratios, and questionable fiberglass? 

Of course I'm following this!

gixxeropa
6/20/24 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

flimsy chassis? are you doubting the integrity of a thin backbone made of rusty 16 gauge sheet metal?

1 ... 14 15 16 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pad7FpMOq0WSNy3Xln13auRh2RcfJ6KxSyzRgcA5E8EkNlgqOFTEfKapRq2dMOXd