1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17
AwDang
AwDang New Reader
7/18/13 5:33 p.m.
v8exocet wrote: yeah, this is super impressive. First chassis off the line, first turbo kit on one, all the extra cool stuff and work. I worked like 10-12 hours a day for two weeks to get mine driving and running. You guys are doing it in like a 1/4 the time and then going to beat the E36 M3 out of a bunch of other cars. Just goes to show you the level of engineering precision and dedication these guys have. Cant go wrong!

a turbo car was built about 5 weeks ago for a private party.

thestig
thestig New Reader
7/18/13 6:04 p.m.

In reply to AwDang:

The turbo car built awhile back was at the roller phase. To my knowledge it has still not been completed.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/18/13 7:06 p.m.

Running. Sounds unbelievable. I'm sitting in the hotseat as I type this. Videos impending.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/18/13 7:06 p.m.

Woohoo!

thestig
thestig New Reader
7/18/13 7:52 p.m.

Awesome! Looking for a donor.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/18/13 8:01 p.m.

Just drove it for a little bit after pressurizing the coolant system and doing one last bolt check.

It's pretty quick. Hit 60 in what felt like 100ft. Never went above 7-8lbs.

Keith, Bill, and Jeremy: phenomenal turbo kit. Started right up first try. AFRs look great. Pulls like a goddamn freight train at 8lbs. We'll dial it up to 12 tomorrow. Loading it up now.

Holy E36 M3. Turbo Exocet in 4 days.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/18/13 8:08 p.m.

I didn't want to hand the keys over to Kevin, but he forced my hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jetDVAuKJJQ&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhz2JAw-_FQ&feature=youtu.be

I was content with a mini shakedown and a little sidewaysing, he has a little less restraint in the outright speed department.

thestig
thestig New Reader
7/18/13 8:17 p.m.

That thing sounds awesome! Turn up the boost.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
7/18/13 8:32 p.m.

Bonus points for wingless front meaning it's currently got shin height spikes.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/18/13 8:50 p.m.

Lol at the ecstatic giggles of an overworked crew seeing it come to life. Awesome work. I am impressed. Looks damn good sans bodywork.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
7/18/13 9:09 p.m.
Warren v wrote: I didn't want to hand the keys over to Kevin, but he forced my hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jetDVAuKJJQ&feature=youtu.be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhz2JAw-_FQ&feature=youtu.be

Man that is just... just..... wow......

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica New Reader
7/18/13 9:11 p.m.

What a great noise that thing makes!

unk577
unk577 Reader
7/18/13 9:12 p.m.

Please keep the updates coming through out the weekend

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
7/18/13 9:31 p.m.

Looks and sound great. Congratulations. Have a great weekend.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/18/13 9:33 p.m.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dxos2MnVxe-c

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/18/13 9:58 p.m.

YYYYYAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/13 10:59 p.m.

So awesome. Bed those brakes, guys, you're going to need them...

Good luck at UTCC.

thestig
thestig New Reader
7/18/13 11:00 p.m.

Who is driving the car for the utcc? Will you have go pros? I am very interested and will be in Atlanta in November. I will give you a call to check out your shop when the time comes.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
7/18/13 11:00 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: It's Alive!

FTFY

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/13 11:21 p.m.

I spoke to Warren today as the car was being loaded on the trailer. He was remarkably coherent. Giddy, but coherent. Pretty impressive considering the last week.

ApacheXMD
ApacheXMD New Reader
7/18/13 11:42 p.m.

Wow that is awesome. Congrats on getting it running so fast. Did you guys have time for an alignment?

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
7/19/13 12:14 a.m.

berkeleying epic.

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/19/13 1:03 a.m.

haha hahahhahh hahahahhaahah

that is so awesome. Good luck guys.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/19/13 1:31 a.m.

In reply to ApacheXMD:

We have a garage at VIR and a spec Miata team ready to align the sucker up there. Right now we're driving through Gaffney, SC.

The car felt effortlessly good even with an assload of camber, front toe out, and rear toe in. Those two hours I spent lovingly depowering the rack were well worth it. I want to depower my DD rack now.

I can't wait to have this thing nicely sorted. We'll get a start at UTCC, but playing with spring rates, damper settings, and the hydra is going to be my new favorite thing. I'm excited to see what the wizards at FM can do with theirs.

Again, I can't overstate how impressed I am with the FM2 kit. The only confusion came from not knowing we had been upgraded to the hard oil line. Once we got the harness adapter, I checked sensors on the Hydra, checked the wideband, pressure tested the fuel system, primed the turbo, and then it fired right up. I have no real turbo experience, just a lot of reading. The FM2 really works as advertised. The noise, my god, the noises... As the mighty car mod guys would say, we got that choo-choo.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/19/13 3:02 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I spoke to Warren today as the car was being loaded on the trailer. He was remarkably coherent. Giddy, but coherent. Pretty impressive considering the last week.

It's much easier to be in FSAE-mode when you don't have finals and term projects to worry about. Also, the guys from Reddit/r/Miata and MX5ATL made this possible! (I'm Dutchbag on both sites)

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XLLSdtyIqeXgZxKFcdELC109puak4d5p7wz7gkBVKWdZnksLcbwX4qvdn1RMWKbv