GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
4/2/19 2:20 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Thanks 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
4/2/19 5:28 p.m.

Looks great man - a little "arts and crafts", but still better than before. Have you considered flocking? You could flock over the work you've done and I bet it would be a perfect finished look.

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
4/2/19 6:23 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

I did consider the flock and I think you are right about it covering the blems. This month marks my 3 year ownership milestone (and the end of the “break bond” title period) and the total amount I have actually driven this car is only a couple months. am at a good place with the look of the dash and ready to just drive around some, shake it down really. I have new tires, wheels and struts with 0 miles on them. 

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
4/6/19 1:19 p.m.

Ran some errands in the Fiat. Tires  and struts have made a huge difference! The car is much more fun and less terrifying to drive. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/6/19 6:41 p.m.

Edited because my post should say something. Not sure how the empty space happened.

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
7/27/19 1:53 p.m.

Almost an update:

I have been not working on the Fiat and just buzzing around on errands when it’s nice out. Gave it some gas today and enjoyed some sunshine.  

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/27/19 2:12 p.m.

So awesome!

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
11/29/19 12:58 p.m.

Here in MT the weather has become unsuitable for driving around in the Fiat. This morning I put it into hibernation. It really deserves to stay in the garage, but that space is required for something else for a while. 

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
3/1/20 7:33 p.m.

Spring is coming. Today was nice enough to have me wishing I was driving the Fiat. Maybe soon

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
4/5/20 1:08 p.m.

Because I spent some time playing musical chairs with cars yesterday, today this got to happen:

yep. A beautiful morning with a mandatory trip for groceries. The frunk did its thing.

This car has a magical ability to transform boring errands into borderline criminal levels of fun. I had forgotten over the past months just how much I enjoy this car as a parts runner. 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/5/20 1:25 p.m.

This, I like.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/5/20 6:13 p.m.

I like the looks you get from the other shoppers when you put the groceries in the frunksurprise

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/5/20 6:39 p.m.

Good to see it out on the road!

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
8/24/20 8:04 p.m.

Today I drove the Fiat back to work after lunch. Usually I ride my bike, but today the air is so smoky I figured that I’d treat myself. It worked out perfectly, since the high school kid that works part time brought in two turbos that his stepdad was disposing of. Free turbos? Yes please. 

The bottom one is allegedly from a Supercoupe and says “air research” and does not spin well. The top one says “Garett t17” and has some shaft play but spins free. It is also oil and water cooled. Hmmmm.... seems reasonably well suited to a DOHC neon engine. 

I am not planning to make anything happen in the near future, but when the boost fairy brings free turbos I take them home.  Since the sale of my turbo truck I have a serious lack of spooling noise in my fleet. Perhaps that can be addressed this winter? 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/25/20 6:28 a.m.

10/10 do recommend forced induction. 

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
9/13/20 9:55 p.m.

Today: Costco run in the Fiat. Best grocery getter I have ever had. Driving this car always puts me in a good mood. I also brought a tube and some tools down to the pump track so my kid could fix his bike. I threw on the rack and my DJ bike and rode a few laps myself. It really puts the Fiat into perspective compared to the bike and rack. 

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
11/12/20 9:57 p.m.

Up here in Montana we are solidly into winter and the Fiat is tucked safe and sound into the garage at our new house. 

I have some fun electronic bits on the way and am looking forward to some additional modifications. I’m pretty sure that I want to turbocharge this x1/9. The question is: turbo the neon 420a OR re-do some of the swap and go to a 2.4 turbo from a PTGT/srt4? 

Voice of experience here-I'd say mod what you got. You're going to end up modding a SRT/$/PTGT exhaust so much, you might as well start from scratch. The turbo built into the manifold really wants to live/exit into your rear crossmember.

Always good to see this come up to the top.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/20 2:26 p.m.
GoLucky said:

Up here in Montana we are solidly into winter and the Fiat is tucked safe and sound into the garage at our new house. 

I have some fun electronic bits on the way and am looking forward to some additional modifications. I’m pretty sure that I want to turbocharge this x1/9. The question is: turbo the neon 420a OR re-do some of the swap and go to a 2.4 turbo from a PTGT/srt4? 

Probably just need a Mexican Stratus R/T manifold, but given the tight confines of the engine bay, a shorty NA cast manifold with a turbo inlet on the end might be a better option.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/13/20 2:49 p.m.

Glad to see this come up in the list again. Will be fun to see it with  a turbo in the future. Now that it is in the garage, we should see  more progress pics coming soon smiley

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/13/20 5:17 p.m.
GoLucky said:

If it's a dohc a pt/srt turbo will bolt right up. 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/20 5:20 p.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:
GoLucky said:

As was described earlier, it likely won't fit due to the nature of the manifold being part of the turbo.

The exhaust valves might be different (sodium filled) and you'll need oil/water inlet and return lines.

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
11/17/20 11:37 a.m.

This is exciting for me. 

This is a Speeduino, an arduino based ECU that I will assemble and use to run my engine. That sentence is far more confident than the reality of the situation. Full disclosure: I have no idea how most of this is going to work out. I am embarking on a series of new challenges. It’s officially sink or swim in the deep end for me. 

Why am I doing this? For the hardcore points.  The sum total of my ownership of aftermarket EFI consists of the uber-user friendly ultimate LS kit from FITECH. That was fun, but the “hard work” was purchased (by the fellow who sold me the unfinished project) with money,  not sweat equity. The Speeduino is inexpensive, >$200, and has an impressive feature list. I’m looking to stretch my abilities and this seems like a good way to do that. Something like the butterfly struggling to emerge from the cocoon maybe? 

Please feel free to offer any tips or advise; I learn a lot from the talent pool on this forum. My pcb holder is on the way so hopefully I will be soldering soon. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/17/20 1:31 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:
GoLucky said:

As was described earlier, it likely won't fit due to the nature of the manifold being part of the turbo.

The exhaust valves might be different (sodium filled) and you'll need oil/water inlet and return lines.

I mean, many people make plenty of power on stock steel valves. The feed and return lines will almost completely bolt up, very easy. 

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
11/18/20 9:20 a.m.

Pleasantly enough,  the kit I bought comes with each component bagged.  Each bag is labeled with the position on the PCB for that particular component. The PCB has printed labels on it. For example:  r1, r17 would be 2 resistors destined for the spots on the board labeled r1 and r17. 

Since I still don’t have the PCB holder I used the shipping box and started the first step; resistors. It is pretty    straightforward. Also enjoyable if you also like to solder

Working through the resistors. I’m placing each one in the order listed on the bag then soldering the batch. Empty bags go into the box.   I stopped for the evening with one bag of resistors remaining. Having a good time with this. 

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ElteKBIT2YQEOq4xmmZMy5vTN7afc2OJ4x8ukD1K6FtJQLJxTOUyQ5ZC9UEzy7X3