1 2 3
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/2/17 9:41 a.m.

Hmmm...Kentucky, eh?

I'm going with a 76 chevrolet Monza 2+2.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/2/17 9:54 a.m.
Homework wrote: Fun Fact (hint): This car was available with 10 different engines across 4 different engine architectures, ranging from 140-425hp.

Or maybe an elky or c10.

barefootskater
barefootskater New Reader
8/2/17 10:04 a.m.

Hauls bodies but not ass... Guzzles unleaded... Handles like a motorhome... Suburban?

Homework
Homework New Reader
8/2/17 10:21 a.m.

I should clarify that this car was available with all 10 engines in the same model year.

The 153ci 4 in the Chevy II was rated at 90hp in '62.

The only Corvette that this car has a chance against are the early Blue Flame Six / Powerglide cars, and they'll still out-handle it.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/2/17 10:26 a.m.

Ok...engines must be I6 or v6, SBC, BBC and Diesel?

Some kinda Oldsmobubble?

Homework
Homework New Reader
8/2/17 10:44 a.m.

Monza 2+2: Quite rare up here, unless it's been back-halved.

Elky/C10/Suburban: When I began my search I was pushed towards a truck, but I wanted a trunk(unless I found a wagon, but wagons are just as expensive as factory big block cars now).

Homework
Homework New Reader
8/2/17 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_ and_Flem:

No V6, no diesel.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/2/17 12:25 p.m.

Ok...last guess, then I'm done.

1970ish mustang. Came with I6, small block v8 302/351 Windsor and Cleveland, and BB 390/427/428. by my count 4 engine architectures, 10 different engine tunes with varying 2 bbl/4 bbl carbs, cam, displacement configurations.

My guess is I6 with slush box.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
8/2/17 12:26 p.m.

1980 Corvette with California spec 305 of 180 hp?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/2/17 12:42 p.m.

Came here for 2 pages worth of new build thread. Leaving disappointed. Dangit I only have so much time to waste on the internet!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/2/17 12:44 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau:

Agreed...move on, nothing to see here

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
8/2/17 12:53 p.m.

Yeah, come on, spill teh beans! And there had better be PICS!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
8/2/17 1:41 p.m.

Is it bad that I'm actually glad the vehicle of choice hasn't been revealed yet?

You have my attention, now don't fail me when it comes to the big reveal!

I'm thinking late A-body GM, something like this? Although you said no v6 and there's no way this car came with an inline six. And it also may have come with a diesel.

Regardless of what it is good luck and I commend you on autocrossing it. It's a great way to have fun/familiarize yourself with a car.

Homework
Homework New Reader
8/2/17 5:36 p.m.

Sorry for how late this is. The suspense that has been generated is much greater than the coolness of the car it's about, so prepare to be disappointed if you weren't already.

Without further ado:

1965 Chevrolet Bel Air

283 2bbl, 195hp 285lb-ft(gross)

Powerglide, 3.08 rear

Power steering, radio delete, old Sears brand under-dash A/C unit.

When I got it, it had cheap chrome valve covers with the '90s bowtie and block letters and an Edelbrock raised-base air cleaner that was about 6" wide, both pitted beyond repair. I'm happy with these, but I may eventually get some OEM pieces.

A plethora of gauges at my disposal.

Gravel driveway + windows down 99% of the time = dusty dash

The compressor was in the trunk when I got it, so I'll probably take the rest out so I can use the holes to temporarily mount some gauges to monitor the engine for awhile. After that I'll go through the whole system and re-install it.

It's about 90% original, and had a little over 72,000 miles on it when I bought it on March 18. My father and I did some catch-up maintenance and got it officially on the road on June 20. Since then, I've put 1,000 miles on it and it hasn't skipped a beat. Now that it's on the road and out of the garage, I plan to get a Chilton/Haynes manual and do most(if not all) of the maintenance myself.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/2/17 5:40 p.m.

Homework
Homework New Reader
8/2/17 6:10 p.m.

Forgot to mention that when I got this, I also had the opportunity to buy an all-original late 2nd-gen Z28, a mildly built slant 6 Duster, and an just-shy-of-perfect XJS that was owned by a Jaguar mechanic(I absolutely love Jags). I will still take this car over everything else.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/2/17 6:13 p.m.

Seriously cool....worth the wait. Love the steelies and dog dishes.

But I only count 3 engine platform/archtectures. I6, SBC and BBC

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/2/17 6:22 p.m.

And if you repaint that car you should be excommunicated from GRM

Homework
Homework New Reader
8/2/17 6:24 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_ and_Flem:

1965 was the transition year between the Mark I "W-Motor" big blocks(409 in this case) and the Mark IV big blocks(396, the 427 would not arrive until '66).

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/2/17 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Homework:

Gotcha...so what's the story on where you found it?

Homework
Homework New Reader
8/2/17 6:30 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

If I was going to paint this car, I wouldnt have bought it in the first place. The car that got me into cars was an all-original 1960 Impala 4-door "sport sedan". Black with red houndstooth interior, 283/Powerglide.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/2/17 6:35 p.m.

I didn't think I was old enough to think of Dirty Mary,Crazy Larry when I saw this, but apparently I am.

Homework
Homework New Reader
8/2/17 6:45 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

Craigslist, actually. It was in a small town outside of Indianapolis. Owner was a cool guy, he had bought it about a decade ago and hadn't really done anything to it except replace the cross shaft on the driver's side UCA. It hadn't been driven in awhile, and he didn't want it to sit, so he put it up for sale. Found the original order form amidst the paperwork, did a search, and according to the internet the original owner is 109 years old now.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/2/17 7:01 p.m.

Hard to believe that car is 52 years old...damn I'm getting old.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
8/2/17 7:16 p.m.

Cool car! I love big 4 doors from the 60s

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k8W0y5skxe05Hh12rNeOGmGB74i61TTtSxzgGMg4FPFJZFETiMHogcZHGEnPPU3I