1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 ... 119
TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
9/10/23 6:35 p.m.

Show off :)

mke
mke Dork
9/16/23 5:48 p.m.

Thought I'd pull the engine today....but didn't get past the coolant tank, it didn't look so good so I figured best to paint it now so it's got a fee months to dry.  And that is why I never finish anything.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/23 6:35 p.m.

In reply to mke :

That is a beautiful torque curve!

Starts high... and keeps pulling stronger, enticing more more MORE REVS

mke
mke Dork
9/17/23 7:55 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Yes, but remember its still just output from the simulator but also that it is a pretty big engine at 332ci and as the saying goes "there is no replacement for displacement".

I think the simulator is over estimating a bit below about 3000rpm  and down at 1000 its probably closer to 200ft-lbs than the 300 shown, still a solid number though.  The little bit I've driven it it feels quite good down low and is perfectly happy at 1000rpm rolling along at 1000rpm.  Hitting the throttle in the burnout video I was at 1589rpm then the tach jumps almost instantly to about 6500 which is about the torque peak according to the simulator so that kind of tracks.  I haven't driven it above the 6500 yet but it free revs to 9000+ in the blink of an eye.

Hopefully in the spring I can get it on a dyno and be done guessing.

mke
mke Dork
9/17/23 5:36 p.m.

There was an F1 race to watch and I was assigned a few chores so only got about 1/2 with the engine pull, the rear and most of the left side cleared 

It was running pretty rich....I need a better O2 sensor solution

And 3 of the 4 CV boots are torn.  WTF? I just replaced those 23 years ago.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
9/18/23 9:12 a.m.

And 3 of the 4 CV boots are torn.  WTF? I just replaced those 23 years ago.

Great!  Wait till you see how fast the new ones fail. You won't get 5 or 6...

mke
mke Dork
9/19/23 8:24 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Yeah, these had age but only had about 15k miles on them because of the stupid V12 project so I'm not so sure they were very good new.  Good rubber is very hard to make.  The place I work makes the rubber stoppers for injectable drug bottles and out of 10k employees there are only a handful of people who have the actual rubber formula...i think even asking is a firing offesnse.   When we 1st started selling in China they were like "you need to build a plant"

yeah, no to that. 

What?

No.

I suspect the CV boots people did the same.  It's easy to copy dimensions, chemistry is more than a bit harder..I can barely even say the word with turning white with fear surprise

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/23 10:02 p.m.

I don't think German hose manufacturers ever figured out how to make vacuum hoses that didn't crumble or turn to goo after three or four years.

mke
mke Dork
11/17/23 5:26 p.m.

I've made no progress but here's a project car alert.  While out on house project errands today I'm pretty sure I saw a very sad 308 of the side of the road in Bristol, PA.  It was about 1/2 mile before I turned left to head to the highway, sitting back on the left with a few other vehicles....very faded red with a blue tarp in the middle so its probably a GTS.   Good hunting!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
11/17/23 5:51 p.m.

In reply to mke :

I have to drive by there Monday morning on a delivery run for HPVE. I'll try for more detail, but I am not a player myself. I think the time has come to try to save some pretty rough ones , if it is still square, it should be saved.

mke
mke Dork
11/18/23 9:02 a.m.

I had to make another run out there this morning, not a great pic but the best I could do in motion with an overloaded trailer

This is the spot, yesterday's map was a little off, its right near the corner of 13 and beaver dam rd, there is a burger king and DD  just across the intersection.

mke
mke Dork
11/18/23 9:06 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to mke :

I think the time has come to try to save some pretty rough ones , if it is still square, it should be saved.

They have definitely gone up in value but parts prices are a killer.  They say the most expensive ferrari you can buy is a cheap ferrari...every little thing takes a bite.  My son was "lets get it for a track car" ...hmmmm....NO! I already have a broken 308, I don't need 2.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
11/18/23 9:10 a.m.

In reply to mke :

This is for a beginner with stars in their eyes, and, wait for it...Deep pockets. I might know just that person.

mke
mke Dork
11/20/23 1:54 p.m.

I called, it's a Fiero, sorry for the false alarm.  It MIGHT be for sale, the guy said his brother wants to fix it but he seemed to have no confidence that he ever will and offered to call to try and get a price.  It's  at Bristol auto repair, 267 812 5196

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
11/20/23 8:33 p.m.

I got schedule bumped and went by in the dark ,so no loss. Glad I didn't fight for a later start on that account!

johndej
johndej SuperDork
11/21/23 4:49 p.m.
mke
mke Dork
12/10/23 8:45 p.m.

House projects seem to never end so I've started working in the shop nights, after work and house work so I have a shot at driving in the spring.  I tried to pull the engine tonight but the ram in my lift died.  Harbor Freight has one I could grab tomorrow $80 but Amazon will bring it to me Tuesday for $70 so engine out Wednesday I guess because I'm pretty cheap and $10 is $10.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/23 1:32 p.m.
mke said:

The cutter for the valve stems also came.  It's a reverse counter bore and kind of cool if you haven't seen one, it's designed so the shaft goes through the hole then the cutter installs on the back side.

So first get the wheel and right angle head to both fit and indicated in...head aligned with table travel and centered in the existing hole, and wheel indicated so the existing c'bore face is square....the cut and check... perfect.  3 more to cut and touch up the paint.

quoted this post for one-off wheel pr0n, and because i have a question for mke:

i'm working on a prototype vehicle and we need a source for some unique wheels.  could you share the contact info for the wheel manufacturer you used, or for their US rep?  PM is OK, or just email to my GRM username at gmail dot com.  Thanks!!!

mke
mke Dork
12/13/23 7:10 p.m.

Every time this goes in or out I kind of marvel at the size

I got a better look at the trans and it looks fine.  As do the bearings up at the clutch shaft.  I'm now wondering if the failure was caused more by a bearing walking out of its place and rubbing than the oil level issue.....either way it will get redesigned

mke
mke Dork
12/14/23 8:44 p.m.

It turns out the replacement drop gear set I got a screaming deal on iis a 2V set and not exactly the same as a QV drop gear set.  The idler and trans gear (which I run on the clutch) match and are fine.  The clutch gear though had a larger OD spline, 36.5mm v 35mm.  This matters because the QV 35mm fits through a very common 35mm bearing with an OD of 72mm, which is the size bearing I setup the trans drop gear case to accept so using a 35x72 bearing is basically a drop in.  to do that will mean not fully engaging the splines on this new gear....but I think that will be ok so I'm kind of settling in on that being the plan as the other option is buy an $800-$1000 QV/328 clutch gear.  I may call a salvage yard or 2 and see it I can swap them (+a small fee) my 2V gear for a QV/328 as that would be better, if not I proceed I think.

12/14/23 9:46 p.m.

In reply to mke :

Can you give me contact info for the company that made your wheels?

mke
mke Dork
12/15/23 7:12 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Sure,

Steven Liao steven@brwheel.com

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
12/15/23 7:41 a.m.
mke said:

Every time this goes in or out I kind of marvel at the size

I apologized in advance, but my inner 14 year old couldn't help himself:

12/15/23 9:53 a.m.

In reply to mke :

IDK when you added the index and links to the custom wheel discussion pages to the first post, but i definitely appreciate them.  and thanks for the contact info!

mke
mke Dork
12/15/23 1:17 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I don't recall either, but probably some time before the forum pissed me off and I mostly stopped reading/using it.  I just tried to add the contact to the index info but the old stuff is locked now and no longer editable.

If you need to reach me  mark@gemellocattivo.com

1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 ... 119

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DI4Pl618taxfGs7f2QrMY96Z5mfY9GU3vLtI7nXoifUdCRm9XPEwwmW3Uyfehwk9