1 2
chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
4/18/14 11:42 a.m.

Ok, having some issues with the horn. I think I may have found the problem:

This is the back plate of my steering wheel hub - looks like they (previous owners) never bothered to find where the horn gets attached. So I have a few questions - does anybody know where the wires for the horn are and what are these:

I have a feeling the black one (3 prong) is for the cruise control but the yellow one (2 prong) I have no idea. With the key off there is no voltage to the yellow one but with the ignition in accessory there is about 3VDC to it. The 3 prong has 12VDC on one of the three.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/18/14 12:55 p.m.

Yellow pigs/harness are for the SRS system, in this case the steering wheel airbag.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
6/22/14 7:41 p.m.

I jacked the car up to change the oil and start tracing wires for the horn. I really wanted my button to come off the OEM wiring and relays but after tearing the car apart SWMBO broke her foot so I had to get my car back on the road as I couldn't tie up her Exploder driving to work (due to security where I work she can't drive me, either). That led me to simply running a wire from the horn to a spot in the dash. After running a hot wire from the lighter up to the horn button I have a horn!
I went with the smallest momentary push button I could find. The fact it was only $6 was pretty sweet. Amazon FTW!

I admit it looks pretty ghetto while the bumper is off getting some work done but it'll have to do for now.

At least the horn works now!

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
7/6/14 9:12 p.m.

You may have noticed in some of the pictures that I did end up replacing the wheels. TireRack was running a special on Axis Sport Xcites in 17x7.5" for $99 apiece. I am not real thrilled with the wheels but at that price I couldn't pass them up as I knew I wouldn't find anything else for a better price. I knew I was going to be tracking the car and I wanted something that would wear hard so I went back to my old Sumitomos and ordered some HTRZ's. Luckily for me TireRack was running a special on these also - $76 apiece! Total price mounted, balanced and delivered to my door was $808.

Yep, I am running 235's on there and they don't stick out from the fenders like the last set!

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
7/6/14 9:46 p.m.

Some of you that are aware of my past vehicles may know that this is my third SVT Contour. Many years ago I had purchased a Mirko splitter for one of my earlier Contours but never had the chance to get it installed. I sold it to a friend of mine that has taken very good care of it.

Fast forward a few years and I purchase a second splitter during a group buy with the intention of installing it on my X-Type.

Unfortunately that plan never came to fruition and the splitter sat in wait for a few more years. Luckily since moving to the Lehigh Valley Area I've met some pretty cool dudes, one of which is pretty good with body work. They do mostly Harley's but do not turn down work, especially for friends. Happily, after almost ten years I finally have a Mirko splitter installed! The car still needs some body work done but I am not sure how in depth or costly I want to get as this will most likely end up a track toy only. It's just in too rough a shape to be a nice daily driver.

Backing it out of the shop after install:

I apologize for the crappy pictures but all I had was my cell and I was pretty excited.

Trying to get out of my driveway:

Some scenic shots:

Next up is I have to get this thing on a dyno and try to see what's up with the CEL. Also figure out what's up with the side skirts. Do I want to have something custom made up or try to find some OEM jackpoint covers and have them molded over so they don't come out? Also looking at some aero for the back and extending the splitter for some more downforce in the front. I still haven't tackled the seat install but since I'm taking a break from college I should have a bit more time.
She's coming along. Not as quick as I would like but these things take time and money.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
7/7/14 3:21 p.m.

Damn, that looks good.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
7/8/14 5:48 a.m.

In reply to Powar:

Thanks! Hopefully it'll start looking a lot better here soon when the safety bits get bolted to it. I'm really looking forward to getting a cage in here.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab New Reader
7/8/14 7:18 a.m.

This makes we want to get a Jaguar X-Type... Has to be the AWD tho

Powar
Powar SuperDork
7/8/14 7:30 a.m.
NordicSaab wrote: This makes we want to get a Jaguar X-Type... Has to be the AWD tho

Resist the urge. That's one of the only cars I've ever said 'never' to.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
7/8/14 9:01 a.m.

Oh no, I disagree. I miss my Jaguar terribly and I am hoping to take a look at one this weekend if it is still available. Manual transmission, too. I will admit it was one of the more expensive vehicles I've owned for maintenance but it WAS a great car. Very much looking forward to my next one.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/8/14 5:49 p.m.
Sold it for what I owed, then bought a '98 Maxima SE. The Nissan was superior in almost all aspects... more horsepower, great sounds from the VQ engine, excellent transmission, more brakes, way better interior room & ergonomics. Everything except for handling.

Being that this is GRM Forums, we will file your pro- 4th gen maxima comments in this convenient black hole. Done!

I think i kind of came to the same conclusion about Contour SVTs without actually owning one. Is that a good thing? Probably not, since i never bought a contour SVT. People can say what they will about them in retrospect but i doubt many people regret EVER owning them.

I still suffer the urge for the 'right' X-type, though.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
7/11/14 10:14 a.m.

Aaaah! I had hoped to be able to make an offer on an X-Type this weekend but it doesn't look like it's in the budget. :( 2004 2.5L black with a manual transmission. $2500 or best offer if somebody else wants to take a look at it in the Lehigh Valley area. I would have loved to park that next to the SVT.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
7/13/14 5:46 p.m.

Breaking (braking?) News!
I took an X-Type for a spin today. 2004 with manual transmission and the 2.5L. Car rode well and was pretty solid overall. Reminded me how much I miss my old X (and how great a shape it was in). Advertised price was $2500 OBO. 111k miles with a fresh clutch. Found out when I got there the vehicle has an R title from flood damage from 2005. The car has been on the road since then and was in pretty good shape but the interior smell gave it away. I was looking for a few reasons. I know I want to make the SVT my track rat and I need something more reliable (I am fully aware of the irony in the statement that I am looking at an X-Type as my reliable DD, thank you). I have not made an offer yet because I'm not prepared to go over $1500 for it and he said he had three offers already.

So I'm taking my SVT out for a spin this evening and I notice the shifting is getting a bit more difficult. Before it was just shifting into second and I'm worried about syncros and clutch but now it's difficult getting into any gear, whether shifting up or down. It seemed to go to fourth ok (slower speeds and RPM) so I'm thinking syncros. I figure I better take it easy and just go for a leisurely drive but she has other plans. About a mile and a half later I can't shift into ANY gear with the car running. She shifts ok with the engine off. Luckily I was only a mile from the house (I was running a loop, unintentionally) and limped it home by matching revs. Looks like the clutch is completely gone. I get back in my garage and check the fluid level and it's at or just below the Min level. I top it off and it shifts better but you can hear the clutch spinning on the pressure plate (I'm guessing here??) and it smells pretty bad. I'm thinking the fluid was a little for a while and I just missed it. Verdict? I'm guessing clutch is completely gone. I don't know how much time I have left on it.

So now on a limited budget do I look for another DD or look to fix the clutch? Hmm...

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
8/30/14 11:14 a.m.

Yeah, so this happened.

I know it has been awhile since I've made an update but I'm in a bit over my head and limited by funds. All in all this has not been a fun job because the wife and I have been limited to one vehicle. I am torn between just getting it back on the road and driving it through the winter (it's actually in pretty good shape and I'd rather not expose it to the elements) or picking up a beater and rebuilding this over the winter. I have never been this deep into a car on my own before so I admit I am a bit intimidated.

Most of my information has been coming from All Data DIY and I'm not real thrilled with the information on there. I need to pick up a couple good books soon.
Yeah, slow going. 2.3L duratecs can be had near me for about $750 - close enough I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. Who makes decent turbo kits for those engines?

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
6/29/15 9:03 p.m.

Made it in the magazine!

Haven't made it off the jackstands. Longest. Clutch. Install. Ever.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
6/30/15 6:59 p.m.

Awesome looking car!

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
6/30/15 8:57 p.m.

Thanks! I hope to get back in the garage this week and get some more work done. I had plans for some custom exhaust work but due to lack of funds I may have to wait on that in lieu of getting the dang thing on the road.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
12/24/15 2:14 p.m.

So time for an update and a small request for advice.

Where she sits now:

If you're thinking I haven't made it very far you would be correct. Long story short it got REALLY cold in my garage last winter (no heat and a damn cold winter on record makes for nasty wrenching - did I mention I hate the cold?) so I didn't make much progress. Before winter ended I decided to go back to college full time (graduated a couple weeks ago with my Bachelor's of Science in Business) so that took up a bunch of my time and my wife ran into a few health snags. So now that the degree is here and my wife's cancer is gone (wasn't really ready for that one, but then again nobody really ever is I guess) I figured I might actually get some time to work on it!

Problem is I'm having issues with the subframe - specifically one of the carriage bolts (that is what they are called, right?) just spins around in the frame. I can hear whatever it is supposed to bolt into spinning inside the frame so I am assuming that is where the problem is coming from. What can I do about that? Cantankerous bolt in question:

In an unrelated story if anybody wants to buy a GRM Challenge-priced SVT Contour from me for helping me fix one, lmk. We are moving to warmer climates in the Spring and I need to shed myself of projects - 1986 LX Fox body roller, 2005 Saab 9-5 with blown engine and possibly the Contour - haven't made up my mind on that one yet.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
12/24/15 9:26 p.m.

Carefully plot the location of the nut plate inside the car.

Holesaw an access hole so you can install washers and locknuts in place of the nutplate.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/25/15 9:29 a.m.
chknhwk wrote: one of the carriage bolts (that is what they are called, right?) just spins around in the frame. I can hear whatever it is supposed to bolt into spinning inside the frame so I am assuming that is where the problem is coming from. What can I do about that? Cantankerous bolt in question:

Maybe, if you pry down on the washer at the head of that bolt, it will make the nut "bite"enough that you can tighten (loosen?) It. Of course, an impact would greatly help. Can you borrow a cordless/electric one? Maybe affordable at Harbor Freight? Barring that, drill a hole 90 degrees from the bolt centerline into that cavity, and hold with a junk screwdriver? Best of luck. Cool project.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
12/25/15 11:52 a.m.

Going in from the side will weaken the structure more than a hole from the top.

Get your new clutch here

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
12/25/15 6:46 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench:

Looks like a mell of a Hess to go in from the top. I second a hole from the side, check the other bolt to get an idea where the nut is and put a hole there, if op is worried about strength he can weld a plate over it after he welds the nut down for next time.

floatingdoc
floatingdoc GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/26/15 9:12 p.m.

I've always liked these cars. They're really cheap now, but hard to find unabused.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
12/26/15 9:59 p.m.

Such a good looking car, especially with the blacked out vibe I wish it was easier to find a nice one where I live.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jEIcFH39mr1HEAUY7w6fXOse1Py1w0S08XCira3wWA41APpEU42Lu4aH6ZYRItUm