1 2 3 4 5
hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/20/22 12:04 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Barrina lights for the win. Zip tie to the rafters and be done. They come with a switched power cord so you could also plug into an outlet and leave the single overhead as your entry/exit light.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/22 1:12 p.m.
hobiercr said:

In reply to yupididit :

Barrina lights for the win. Zip tie to the rafters and be done. They come with a switched power cord so you could also plug into an outlet and leave the single overhead as your entry/exit light.

i had one of the Barrina switches melt down on me.  The switch got pretty hot.  Not sure if it would have initiated a more serious thermal event, but something to be aware of.  That's my only complaint with Barrina lighting.  They're great for a flexible installation.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/20/22 3:28 p.m.

I'm looking for some cheap clk lightweight wheels if anyone comes across any!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/22 5:01 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Adapt to 5x120 and I'll make you a smoking deal on some 17x9.5 ET56:

I'm talking "thank you for your service" smoking deal here. 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
9/20/22 5:39 p.m.

We see lightweights here and there. I've got 7 of them with my car. Better off finding them in a junkyard where they don't know the true value!

I like those AREs! Would look right at home on the w108.

yupididit
9/20/22 5:49 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I would love those but 17x9.5 might be too big for this car. If I had some adapters on hand I'd love to test fit them front/rear.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/20/22 6:07 p.m.
yupididit said:

I'm looking for some cheap clk lightweight wheels if anyone comes across any!

Look at Jegs  I'm not sure what bolt pattern but 15X10 was as low as $138 each with discounts they offered including free shipping  

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
9/20/22 9:14 p.m.
buzzboy said:

We see lightweights here and there. I've got 7 of them with my car. Better off finding them in a junkyard where they don't know the true value!

I like those AREs! Would look right at home on the w108.

Junkyards are the way, they just think they are an unloved odd size Mercedes wheel.

yupididit
9/20/22 9:26 p.m.

When am I ever going to have time to hit a junkyard crying

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/22 9:56 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I saw this one Sunday:

yupididit
9/21/22 7:12 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

The build thread for that one is on our forum by Macie Here

yupididit
10/2/22 4:22 p.m.

Looking to get the m272 v6 out of Iammclovin804's GLK. Need to source a 716.667 trans and research the fuel and requirements. And research if I can get a tuner to get the ecu to run without all the car specific pre-start requirements or I'll just go standalone. 

Until then, I'm going to try and get the motor that's in it running. The lift pump is no good so either find an used oem ($$$) or do a Carter pump retrofit ($100 + random bits). 

yupididit
10/10/22 8:53 p.m.

Finally cleaned the interior. Removed the steering wheel cover that must've been on there for decades. When I removed it the steering wheel smelled like toe-jam. It was disgusting. I did my best to clean it off and scrubbed inside the grooves with a rubber brush. I'm not sure how to fix the discoloration. Any advice is welcomed. Hopefully it can be brought back to its original color. If so, then I'll be able to sell the wheel on eBay and get a Nardi to replace it. 

I also installed the exterior door handles and trunk lock. Doorcards and interior door handles + window cranks later this week. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/10/22 9:37 p.m.

Baking soda? 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/11/22 11:32 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I can tell you what I've learned about stand alone ECU's.   Megasquirt will take your MB sensor inputs and start and run your car.  Then you can fine tune it with a lap top to run however you want it to.  
   I finally found a source who just made the hook ups and did that on a Jaguar V12. 
         If you want then you can add turbo chargers, E85, camshafts  etc without even opening up the engine.   
   The increased end gap on rings  needed for turbo's is accounted for by the wear after 75.000-100,000 miles or so.  Plus with E85 you won't need as much end gap. 
  If you'd like more information  go to NIVLAC57. On U Tube. And watch some of his video's.   ( he's our Calvin Nelson ) 
     It's cheap to test out go buy a Megasquirt 3 pro. And the required wiring.  On DIY tune. 
hook up a stock one using gasoline once it's running smoothly and sorted a bit make your changes.  
 You can test and tune at a local drag strip if you feel comfortable enough.  Alpha V6 will guide you for a reasonable fee  or you can take it to a chassis Dyno to sort it out.  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/11/22 11:49 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Thanks, I've MegaSquirted a few cars before. The current engine is mech inh which is easy to convert to MS but I'm not going to be using this engine for my future goals. And the engine that I have in mind, m272, may or may not get a standalone ecu. It depends on how hackable the stock stuff is (still doing my research). If I do go standalone, I might use MS because I'm familiar with it but not set in stone.

obsolete
obsolete HalfDork
10/11/22 12:20 p.m.

Maybe this would work on the wheel? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retr0bright

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/11/22 1:43 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Thanks, I've MegaSquirted a few cars before. The current engine is d-jet which is easy to convert to MS but I'm not going to be using this engine for my future goals. And the engine that I have in mind, m272, may or may not get a standalone ecu. It depends on how hackable the stock stuff is (still doing my research). If I do go standalone, I might use MS because I'm familiar with it but not set in stone.

I would think that depending on how far you want to go, even if  the current stuff can be hacked it might be a whole lot simpler to go Mega Squirt. 
    Calvin gives a pretty fair assessment of several stand alone ECU's .  That's  why I suggested the Mega Squirt pro 3 because it seems to be his go-to unit.  He  spoke about  the Holley unit and  another one ( escapes me at the moment) and mega squirt gold box and  others.  
       The reason I like Calvin's work is like me he stays as basic as he can.  Yet managed to get 824 horsepower ( stock 270) out of a stock bottom end Atlas engine.   Without taking the head off.  
    So basically he tripled the power    For a tiny investment.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/22 2:39 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I think you and yupididit should have a work weekend together. He could maybe get your XJS further along and you could do his MS for him. 

yupididit
10/11/22 2:43 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Please dont...lol. I dont really know what or who he is talking about anymore, this is why I'm not replying.

yupididit
10/11/22 4:52 p.m.

In reply to obsolete :

Thanks, that looks promising. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/22 4:08 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to frenchyd :

I think you and yupididit should have a work weekend together. He could maybe get your XJS further along and you could do his MS for him. 

This is the crossover episode the forum needs.

yupididit
10/12/22 6:09 p.m.

I gave my xjs to a fellow GRM'r who is putting the v12 into an old Chevy truck if I remember correctly

thomiriana
thomiriana GRM+ Member
10/13/22 9:12 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

The DC market is a bear. Keep looking and networking. Patience iss the key. Nice project as well. I love the creativity. 

yupididit
1/8/23 11:03 a.m.

The car is in its new home. 

I was able to get the engine to turn over but the mechanical fuel pump is shot. I'm not paying for a used one or to get this one fixed, they're super expensive. I ordered a Carter pump from Amazon. I saw that some folks retrofitted these pumps to their w113 with success. 

Where are we getting our fuel lines these days? 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0pEhZwslKpF34PR94BgvYWZVFwQZRfkIB0NqdyyoUlk3nooSb0S3VlahSb3gkUFa