1 2 3
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/16 4:13 p.m.

I would. It would be a little nerve wracking, because I would be rebuilding the entire thing in my mind during the first flight trying to figure out if I missed something.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
1/22/16 4:46 p.m.

make mine Spad please....... maybe.....

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
1/22/16 4:59 p.m.

Maybe something dirt simple, like an ultralight, if somebody who isn't me tigged up the frame, and I have a parachute.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
1/22/16 5:39 p.m.

At one time I was helping an old man rebuild a WW II Naval tail dragger that was used for training. He kept talking about us flying in it when it was done. I said "Hell no! The parts in this old thing are waaaay to old for me to consider leaving the ground in it." Taxiing the runway was my limit. He was in pretty rough shape then (20 years ago) dunno if he lived long enough to finish it.

I'd build an all new plane and fly it (if I knew how). I was a test pilot for an experimental human powered helicopter (think about that for a moment). Probably the first human powered helicopter pilot at Sikorsky. Wrecked it twice due to things beyond my control.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
1/22/16 6:05 p.m.
NOT A TA wrote: At one time I was helping an old man rebuild a WW II Naval tail dragger that was used for training. He kept talking about us flying in it when it was done. I said "Hell no! The parts in this old thing are waaaay to old for me to consider leaving the ground in it." Taxiing the runway was my limit. He was in pretty rough shape then (20 years ago) dunno if he lived long enough to finish it. I'd build an all new plane and fly it (if I knew how). I was a test pilot for an experimental human powered helicopter (think about that for a moment). Probably the first human powered helicopter pilot at Sikorsky. Wrecked it twice due to things beyond my control.

Going to guess that since you are on the south side of the border you pedaled for Team Gamera? I seem to recall that U of T cashed the $250,000 prize check.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/syJq10EQkog?list=PLzuLE7b8wlYU-507EZd3q6aU4ereBpWKx

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
1/22/16 6:54 p.m.

I took the A&P course at atlanta tech in the 80's,worked at a small airport for awhile,my younger brother took same and still works for Delta. not only do I want to build an aircraft I think about my design Daily, now if anyone out there wants to build a 5/6 passenger Quad-copter I will stop fooling with race cars or challenge cars NOW. PS ultra-lites are the most dangerous aircraft availible. I love the mini mustang and saw pics of one with a big block chevy for an engine. I guess I would have to fly the thing I don't know anyone else that crazy/stupid.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
1/22/16 11:03 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote: The real advantage to a homebuilt airplane is that you can have a new airplane for a fraction of the cost of a certified aircraft. Also the maintenance costs are significantly lower since you don't always have to pay a certified mechanic to do the work.

I came to this realization about 15 years ago. Fortunately for me, I had young kids, and no funds or free time for such a project. I say "fortunately" because before I could build and fly a plane, I came to another realization: I don't take very good care of the cars I drive and pretty much only drive them because nobody else can limp junk along the way I can (basically, taking advantage of my "mechanical sympathy"). The 3rd dimension would surely not be so forgiving.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
1/23/16 1:58 a.m.

In reply to GTXVette:

Agreed, ultra lights are going to be the most wind sensitive and easiest to crash for a new pilot.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
1/23/16 6:43 a.m.

An Example... while in School(A&P) we would hear on a regular basis of folks getting Killed in ultra lights,one student went ahead and built one,several succesful flights later he encountered a 5 mabey 10 MPH head wind It Knocked him out of the Air,for him just broke both legs, but I have heard of wings breaking Off for the same reason while the aircraft was in a turn,at that point the Wings are stressed already and just could not handle the extra Loading. The Mini Mustang However will go close to 300mph YE HAW. I wanted a BD-5, Oddly with several different engine combo's many crashed on take off due to the engine leaning out. wiki the BD. Cool As Can Be. Lots to be said for staying on the Ground.

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
1/24/16 9:05 a.m.

Two of my friends' fathers recently built their own planes. Neither are mechanical geniuses, but they went slow and triple checked everything. Both now have several hundred flight hours in their homebuilt aircraft. It seems to me that the difference between working on a car and working on a plane is one of attention to detail. On a car you can say "eh, it's probably good enough." On a plane that same logic will get you killed. Would I try my hand at airplane building? Probably one day, but at this stage in the hobby I feel like I don't quite have the aptitude yet. Ask me again in 10 years.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/24/16 1:24 p.m.

My buddy owns a Seawind seaplane with retractable gear.

He didn't build it but it is an experimental plane and he has done a ton of major work on it himself. We actually rebuilt the nose gear mount in my shop out of stainless as the original was really flimsy. Very fun plane to fly in. Fast, seats 4 easily and comfortable in flight. Of course I wasn't with him the day the gear wouldn't go down and he had to belly land it on the grass next to a runway .

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
1/24/16 2:58 p.m.

Not when a Cessna can be bought with papers for 15K. I trust myself to build something that floats in the air for a bit and might even get to the ground but why reinvent the wheel.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
1/24/16 3:24 p.m.

RV6 The airplane equivalent of a Super 7 (Locost)

Bring me an RV6A kit and you can watch me build it and fly it.

But I get to keep it... :^)

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
1/24/16 4:24 p.m.

Considering I've torn apart helicopters, repaired/replaced major structures, put it back together and flown it, the answer would be yes I would. I'm also a licensed A&P. Thought about but figured out cars are cheaper.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
1/24/16 4:32 p.m.

What I find telling about the "Homemade" aircraft industry is the number of planes that are actually built by third party craftsmen. The FAA seems somehow willing to turn a "blind eye" to this.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie New Reader
1/24/16 6:23 p.m.

I've been an A&P for 22 years, so yes, I would without reservation.

I will tell you though, airplane mechanics aren't any special cut of cloth. Just guys who pay real close attention to details and double check their work as needed. Someone mentioned leaving a bolt loose. There is no reason whatsoever for that worry if you're detail minded and pay attention. If you can't trust yourself to install a bolt and properly secure it, airplane mechanics just aren't your thing.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/24/16 7:44 p.m.

Was inspired to dream about it from a young age from a movie I liked. Thats the plane that always made me dream.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
1/24/16 9:30 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
NOT A TA wrote: At one time I was helping an old man rebuild a WW II Naval tail dragger that was used for training. He kept talking about us flying in it when it was done. I said "Hell no! The parts in this old thing are waaaay to old for me to consider leaving the ground in it." Taxiing the runway was my limit. He was in pretty rough shape then (20 years ago) dunno if he lived long enough to finish it. I'd build an all new plane and fly it (if I knew how). I was a test pilot for an experimental human powered helicopter (think about that for a moment). Probably the first human powered helicopter pilot at Sikorsky. Wrecked it twice due to things beyond my control.
Going to guess that since you are on the south side of the border you pedaled for Team Gamera? I seem to recall that U of T cashed the $250,000 prize check. https://www.youtube.com/embed/syJq10EQkog?list=PLzuLE7b8wlYU-507EZd3q6aU4ereBpWKx

This is a bit on the helicopter I was involved with after the designer (composites engineer) moved to CT to work for Sikorsky. We made the span bigger than described below and did change the transmission. Total weight was 182 with me in it if I remember. I have a few pics somewhere from 88-89 I had promised not to let go public till the contest was over. Never knew it'd been won till now. Mike Brace is the only one who has video of me in it.

w.HumanPoweredHelicopters.org Project: Monarch

The Monarch project was active in 1986 and 1987. The project leader was probably Michael Brace. Based on the references below, we know that: The rotor diameter was 28 ft. The pilot weight was 150 lbs. The empty weight went from 65 lbs, in 1986, to 45 lbs, in 1987.

A 1986 article in the IHPVA journal reports that:

"(...), an engineer for a Santa Ana, California plastics firm is working on his own human powered helicopter design for the competition. Michael Brace says he's gotten his helicopter to "hop" but he's working on a new transmission to see if he can get his idea off the ground. "I want to show it can be done," Brace told the Los Angeles Times. "My goal is to have this machine wind up in the Smithsonian as one of the first of its kind." Brace has received assistance from his firm which has donated most the material used on his design, including the 14 foot blades. So far the helicopter has cost the company $100,000. His machine currently weighs 65 pounds and carries a pilot weighing up to 150."

Then again in a 1987 edition of the IHPVA journal:

"Mike Brace, of Reynolds & Taylor, Inc., has designed an HP helicopter called "Monarch", and is going to try for the AHS prize. According to MACHINE DESIGN, the firm specializes in plastic fabrication, and company president Roger R. Reynolds thought that the helicopter would be a great way to demonstrate the company's skills in advanced composites. The rotor diameter is 8.5m (28 ft) and the overall weight is just over 20 kg (45 lbs). To win the prize the helicopter must rise at least ten feet and hover for 60 seconds."

This project is also mentioned in a 2001 article by Matthew Lechliter

Any other information (especially photos!) on this project would be greatly welcome.

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
1/25/16 10:46 a.m.

I would absolutely fly a plane I built. I've been a pilot for almost 20 years and I have looked seriously at building something like a Lancair when they were offering 4 seat kits. If I'm flying, I want to get somewhere.

There is more than putting it together and taking it to an airport to crash. The FAA has Designated Airworthiness Representatives(DAR)that will go over the craft with a fine tooth comb before you are allowed to try to kill yourself in it. They are familiar with the kits, the person that comes out has probably seen whatever you built before. They look at the basics and work from there as they see how the details are handled. Inspection could be a couple hours to most of a day depending on what they are seeing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/16 11:21 a.m.
Petrolburner wrote:

Okay, that's the first time I've thought I might want an airplane.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
1/25/16 11:50 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Was inspired to dream about it from a young age from a movie I liked. Thats the plane that always made me dream.

"Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" GREAT movie... wonderful all-star cast...

The plane you show was the "Frenchmens" entry. Brigot... and her many look-a-likes

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/25/16 12:03 p.m.

Yes-- done it, with my Dad.

Then there was the one I assembled myself before I graduated from school. It's a little more terrifying looking. Mine was silver. Looked like it was made from velcro, saran-wrap and tinfoil. Unlike the Glasair, however, it was not assembled using dixie cups and popsicle sticks.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
1/25/16 12:12 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I've learned over time that aircraft mechanics are certainly not super heroes. I teach automotive and I even have a former military jet engine mechanic going through my class on GI bill right now. I wouldnt trust him to build me a plane any more than i trust myself. On a related note, i never seem to fully 'trust' a car until i've done major surgery on it and been familiarized with its workings. I would trust a plane i built more than one that any other single dude built unless i had spent as much time seeing that other guy's work as just building the plane. I won't go skydiving because i dont want to spend the time verifying that the people who packed my chute are worth a E36 M3. I don't ride travelling carnival rides because i dont know the guys who take them apart and put them together 15 times/year. One of my instructor coworkers used to work on rides at a theme park and had a coworker tear his finger off doing something obviously stupid. I have a friend who works for Boeing Seattle and i hear a lot from him. My mother used to do payroll for plane mechanics down here at Port of San Antonio. I know too much about the people who build planes to assume they are any better than i am. I would be just as comfortable flying a plane i built as any other low-production hand-built plane.

This. I've met several plane mechanics and a lot of the time they know what they're doing and stick to strict procedures/checklists and welcome having their work checked over. Also when you have to safety wire all the things it helps you're forced to double/triple check things. I've helped work on my father's planes and wouldn't hesitate to hop in and fly. They're both home built/experimentals. I built a tail section for a Vans RV-8 and would 100% trust it. Because I did it in a class with lots of instruction and guidance

Graystang
Graystang New Reader
6/19/17 2:33 p.m.

[URL=http://s158.photobucket.com/user/graystang88/media/100_2916.jpg.html][/URL]

Sure why not...I reassembled this cessna 150 from boxes large and small...of course wings and fuselage were still skinned and intact. Its not rocket science, and there are tons of checks/tests before you for leave the ground with 1.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/19/17 3:00 p.m.

I kinda wanna fart around with a powered hang glider...which I would think could qualify as DIY.

I figure if the Jetman can do it, so can I

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sjPK6Jw9ipWRztbLS3BOlAdm46BgQrkVg2ZIpilu9YMKjHpTVZi2Efqglr0v9hHV