1 2 3 4
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
9/4/19 8:59 p.m.
Stampie said:

Why is the torque converter still attached to the flexplate?  

This is why:

Turns out, the buyer ( a co-worker of mine) also wanted the torque converter, so I had to pull it after all.

I got the first two ( of three) out without too much grief. Because it's easier to get at them with the tranny out. But the last one, NOPE. 15mm hex head just rounded off.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
9/4/19 9:09 p.m.

So I got out the sawz-all and death wheel and cut the flex-plate and ring gear.....

Then, just as in a cheesy movie, where the villain spouts off some monologue at the Hero while taking his last breath,  Humpie revealed (post-mortem) that the stripped Hex Bolt also had an internal Hex key.

And of course, it was a size I had a socket for......

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/19 9:10 p.m.

Btdt.  I’ll put a flexplate on your pile, please put the front cv shafts in mine after they’re out.  I have a really iffy idea.  Once the garage is bigger I need to do some measuring and testing.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/4/19 9:27 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Is it too soon to ask if the two you had already removed had an internal hex also?  

Edit I do commend you on your destructive powers. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
9/4/19 9:40 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Is it too soon to ask if the two you had already removed had an internal hex also?  

Edit I do commend you on your destructive powers. 

Hindsight is just like next year: 2020.

and yes, after the destruction, I noticed that all three bolts had the internal hex.  Sigh.

I really have grown to hate Humpie, and I'm glad he's being dismantled and will be sent off for scrap.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
9/5/19 5:48 a.m.
Patrick said:

Btdt.  I’ll put a flexplate on your pile, please put the front cv shafts in mine after they’re out.  I have a really iffy idea.  Once the garage is bigger I need to do some measuring and testing.  

Check. Front CV shafts going in your pile.  Be aware one of the CV boots is torn.

Thanks for the offer on the flexplate, however, I'm going manual transmission.  Got a flywheel?

Patrick
9/5/19 7:27 a.m.

Nope unfortunately but now I know to look for one

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/5/19 7:35 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

So I got out the sawz-all and death wheel and cut the flex-plate and ring gear.....

Then, just as in a cheesy movie, where the villain spouts off some monologue at the Hero while taking his last breath,  Humpie revealed (post-mortem) that the stripped Hex Bolt also had an internal Hex key.

And of course, it was a size I had a socket for......

Just toss that in the "released anger" pile. Maybe you should be thanking Humpie?

When's this going in the Triumph?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
9/5/19 8:18 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

That chunk of flywheel is getting sent off to the poor victim of the next round of "New Years Gift Exchange"

Engine is getting pulled after the challenge and the carcass will be scrapped before the end of the year.  Then it'll be time to shoe-horn the LS into the TR4.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/5/19 8:26 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to AxeHealey :

That chunk of flywheel is getting sent off to the poor victim of the next round of "New Years Gift Exchange"

Engine is getting pulled after the challenge and the carcass will be scrapped before the end of the year.  Then it'll be time to shoe-horn the LS into the TR4.

I approve all of that. Can't wait to see the TR4 come together. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
11/9/19 5:46 p.m.

This happened today.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/19 5:48 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Nice!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
11/9/19 6:14 p.m.

Not using this fan, so Berk it & cut it off.

And because Patrick doesn't need the entire half shafts, & pulling them would be a pain in the arse:

Stampie
11/9/19 7:02 p.m.

For a second there I was amazed at how quick you grew a goatee then realized it was a reflection. You zero out Humpie yet?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
11/9/19 9:10 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

No goatee.

Yes, it's not too difficult to zero out a $350 truck. Real world budget, I've been paid $50 to accept this LS engine. yes

Patrick
11/9/19 9:19 p.m.

When you're out there next time snap me a picture of the rpo code sticker(likely in glovebox or console) so i know what ratio the diff has

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
11/10/19 9:09 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Will do.

Here's where we ended up at around 10:00 last night.  It was the first time the boys ever pulled an engine.  They were very helpful and happy!

And here are some progress pics:

And this is what Humpie looks like the day after donating his heart:

Stampie
11/10/19 9:57 a.m.

Remember if you use the master cylinder  or booster for the TR4 you can then replace them with brand new no budget hit. Or trade the shell for a transmission and throw in free delivery to the junkyard of their choice. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
11/10/19 12:23 p.m.
Patrick said:

When you're out there next time snap me a picture of the rpo code sticker(likely in glovebox or console) so i know what ratio the diff has

John Brown (Forum Supporter)
John Brown (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/20 7:07 p.m.

GU6, 3:42:1 devil

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aYP44NPmEpm6OYOLkPYPlO6JxOCt3isPa9klh5gwDdVSETtaT49el8dVLKyHwRI2