1 2
Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
2/16/22 5:08 p.m.

We purchased a used AiM Digital dash system for a reasonable price. We decided to get the local expert on AiM . All installed including software . Another hurdle accomplished.now onto getting her fired up- finish the oil and PCV lines and finish the electrical.

After discussing the proposed front suspension with those 8n the know, we decided to stay with the McPherson strut suspension and the custom strut rod I installed about 20 years ago. Still going with the the 6 piston calipers and 4 piston calipers in the rear.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
2/16/22 7:30 p.m.

In reply to Racerjiggs :

Where do you race that car, Gerald ? The only road course I can recall down there is Atlantic Motorsports Park or whatever it may be called these days.

105egary
105egary New Reader
2/18/22 6:03 p.m.

Nice work there, I am looking for the same engine to swap into my Anglia. 

Could you load some pictures of the suspension changes that you made.

Good Luck with the rest of the swap.

sir_mike
sir_mike New Reader
2/19/22 9:36 a.m.

Hi Gerald..love the article.Great seeing the Cortina coming along.Hope you are doing well.Mike in York

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
2/19/22 9:47 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to Racerjiggs :

Where do you race that car, Gerald ? The only road course I can recall down there is Atlantic Motorsports Park or whatever it may be called these days.

Looks like AMP, it's still the only road course east of the Quebec boarder. 

Any 2.3 go fast parts left over from the blown motor? I'm local. 

damarble
damarble Reader
2/19/22 12:59 p.m.

This is the way!

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
2/20/22 7:28 p.m.

A top view of the 2.3 EcoBoost Install in the Cortina

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
2/20/22 7:29 p.m.

Another top view photo

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
2/28/22 3:17 p.m.

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
2/28/22 3:18 p.m.

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
3/15/22 11:00 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

That's right AMP- Atlantic Motorsport Park - in Shubenacadie, NS.  Before AMP I raced her in Pennfield, NB and Debert,NS

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
3/15/22 11:06 a.m.

In reply to 105egary :

See below. Just received a new set of SPAX adjustable strut inserts , ordering a new set of coilover kits. Have yet to decide what front and rear spring rates to go for as the aero setup will be adding lots of down force. Biggest problem is the rack and pinion for as she stands now we only have 1 1/2" clearance from the ground. We will have to raise her and find a way to protect the rack.

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
3/15/22 11:20 a.m.

The next photo was taken on Sunday at our race shop here in Nova Scotia. we have pretty much completed the plumbing for the turbo and air intake system, the dual PCV System, the oil pressure system- engine to remote filter to cooler and back to the engine, and the oil scavenge system- dry sump to oil tank and return. Exhaust (turbo downpipe) designed and being fabricated- 2 1/2" to 3" exhaust pipe already installed- use springs to hold the the 2 lengths together

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
3/15/22 11:33 a.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Emailed you a list. come and get the free block and crank. Might even have an oval port head. Did you race FV at AMP? Anyways you are more than welcome to visit the shop here in Enfield, about 5 minutes from the Big Stop.    Gerald Elliott

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
3/15/22 11:43 a.m.

In reply to 105egary :

I mentioned some of the front suspension changes we made in another posting . There some photos in following postings.

One of the weak points is where the strut and spindle come together- solved problem by putting a 2"ID x 3/8 wall down over the strut all the way down , doing some grinding for clearance then welded it in place with extra welding to stop spindle assembly from bending in. The top of the 2"ID tube serves as the mounting surface for the coil 0ver sleeves

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
3/31/22 3:30 p.m.

To continue with the front suspension I developed for the Cortina, as the OEM control arm was totally unsuitable for road racing- non replaceable ball joint and sway bar inserted in rubber bushings. Bought  lower control arms from AFCO, cut off the ball joint ring, drilled and tapped the outer end for a 3/4 rod end. The inner end was tapped for a 3/8 rod end and attached to the cross member with a grade 8 bolt and spacers. Now I needed  a setup for the female part of the ball joint.

Removed the steering arm from the bottom of the strut, milled the inner surface to take a 3/4" bolt head, and  welded the bolt into the steering arm, facing down- the male part of the ball joint. We have been running this set up for the past 20 years with no failure and now on its 2nd set of rod ends.

See photos above. 

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
3/31/22 3:43 p.m.

This is the IMSA rear wing we obtained from a crashed LMP3 in 2019. It was extensively damaged  but fortunately we have an excellent composite repair person on the team (sort of). He also does beautiful machining and TIG welding . The wing uprights were purchased online, but what you don't see is the under the trunk lid work we did to attach it all to he rear roll cage . our next step is to complete the upright extension to obtain the correct height fot the wing. Will provide more photos shortly.

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
3/31/22 3:45 p.m.

Many, many thanks for GrassRoots Motorsport magazine including a team and Cortina Race Car photo and caption in the latest issue.

Most appreciated.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
3/31/22 8:11 p.m.

Sorry I did not receive an email about the Lima parts. I'll give you a call tomorrow if I get the chance. 
I did not race at shubie but have lots of friends who do and have. I need to help a friend put a Lima motor together for his vintage hydroplane...I won't derail your thread. 

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
12/28/22 2:27 p.m.

https://YouTu.be/7MkOy1ynw9m

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
12/28/22 2:33 p.m.

I have been trying to insert a YouTube video into the form showing the Cortina in an in-car video racing a Datsun 510. I have tried 3 Possible methods using the video URL- inserting, embedding, media? But nothing works.  Any body  out there help me get this video posted?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/22 2:45 p.m.

Failed to fetch contents for the pasted URL

IDK what that means. Also, I found your channel by searching YouTube for "EcoBoost cortina", and I wanted to say that y'all build cool stuff and make nice videos. Subscribed!

12/28/22 2:53 p.m.
12/28/22 2:55 p.m.

So, media embed isn't broken. Must be something wrong with the URL or the upload

EDIT: pasting that URL into my browser, I get - a YouTube error "That video isn't available"

maybe you've got it marked private?

sir_mike
sir_mike Reader
1/8/23 11:05 p.m.

Hi Gerald...just saw the startup video...great job to your crew.Also saw you come in towards the end.Should have been there sooner...just kidding....Mike in York

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XfeDGmUC97aH2FDdfDjUmKpzxVMDTyL0Jlw2zqkUqlj90S5g92uq8OCcsOVIWK6r