1 2
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/19/22 8:54 p.m.

Interesting listing that I just stumbled across.  No explanation but thought provoking execution

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
4/19/22 9:15 p.m.

Looks like a dirt track build.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/19/22 10:28 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

That's kind of what I had in mind at the 'Gambler 500' end of the spectrum. I already concluded that this car is too nice to do that to. I don't think I'm going to do the 100% back to stock restoration, but I am going to start seriously shopping for a new, correct headlight for it tomorrow. I like the lines and any cheap headlight that I'd adapt to it would look out of place - Like someone had a nice car and was too cheap to fix it. I'd have to bring the whole rest of the car down to make it work aesthetically.

A sunset drive this evening to get a feel for it:

4/21/22 1:50 p.m.

I'm not patient. Finding a right side headlight for these is not easy. I searched Car-Part.com and found what looked like good prospects. When I called, phones are disconnected. I put out three requests for quotes, but no response. There are a few asking $500 for a used headlight, but most are only offering the "Ballast and Bulb". I found one online Honda parts dealer that shows it in stock for about $490. The others I checked show it as "Currently Unavailable". I am really tempted to buy the new one, but the left side one is faded enough that it will not be a good match. Not a deal killer, because I should give it a good polish anyway.

I said: ... I like the lines and any cheap headlight that I'd adapt to it would look out of place - Like someone had a nice car and was too cheap to fix it. I'd have to bring the whole rest of the car down to make it work aesthetically. ...

The fact is that I am that guy who is too cheap to fix it 'right'. It's only an awsome deal if I don't pay Thousands to fix it. Might as well buy a nice non-salvage car if I'm spending the money. I'm still hoping to get a decent quote on the correct headlight, but meanwhile I'm looking at buying an alternative matching pair of headlights that will fit. Acura TL and TSX lights might be plug and play, but the fitment looks too far off. I'm looking at 2011 Civic Si lights and they are the closest fit so far.

4/21/22 3:03 p.m.

Radio Code: The 12V battery was dead when the car was delivered and I gave it about 36 hours on a 1.5A charger to bring it back to life. The dead battery put the radio into security mode, requiring a five digit code to unlock it. Normally there is a card in the owner's manual that has the radio code. In this case, there was no manual and no code written in any of the normal hiding places. In all my cars, I put a label with the code in at least two places: Side of glove box, Battery holder, on the radio itself if I remove it. On some Greman cars, I've found it written on the options label.

Honda has a web page where owners can retreive the code: Honda Radio / Navigation Code Retrieval and Reset Instructions. Enter the VIN, Device Serial Number, Your Zip Code, Phone Number, and Email. When submitted, it immediately provides a list of codes. I retrieved about 20 codes. The sixth one worked (62462 for my future reference and in case anyone manages to steal the radio and doesn't have time to get the code from Honda.).

Nice sound quality and rumbly bass. In my Boxsters I love to just hear the engine. In this car... not so much.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/21/22 5:54 p.m.

The car looks great in those pictures above. If you think you might not keep it, and it's legal, I might recommend selling it, as is. 

Sell the dream. The dream that someone else can fix it as they get the more money.  Fix as they go. 

The "mpg car" market is crazy right now. Someone's looking for "a bargain" to offset their 4x4 truck commute. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/21/22 6:13 p.m.
Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/21/22 6:19 p.m.

Make an offer on this one? 

Is yours HID?

4/21/22 6:48 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Done. Thanks! I don't know how that didn't come up earlier in my eBay searches.

Slippery
4/21/22 6:58 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

yes

4/21/22 7:05 p.m.

I had seen that headlight on car-part but "cracked housing" with no good pics at $250 plus shipping. Lots of detailed pics on eBay.

I'm probably going to check on fenders with some of the ones John Linked from Craigslist.

4/22/22 9:31 a.m.

So... Pretty much the same thing as a Z51, without all that extra back end tacked on.

4/30/22 10:19 p.m.

The headlight arrived and I loaded parts and tools in the CR-Z and drove it to work for a few nights, thinking I'd get some work done at work. The first couple nights I was busy actually working.

Accident scenes can be pretty surreal. We often land to a nearby fire department or other established LZ, but when it's bad enough to shut down a highway, we land right at the accident. I don't have a job to do on the ground. I wait. Two guys near the aircraft are joking lightheartedly, ten yards away a firefighter is on his knees, head down. Another one gently putting his hand on his shoulder. Just beyond, there are others covering the cab of the truck with a sheet - extracting the body of the driver is no longer urgent. People on the side of the road holding IV bags up, children lay below. More ambulances are coming. I pick up some leaf springs from the middle of the road and make a small gathering of debris at the curb. I have a lot of respect for the people who put their hands on the patients. I'm just a witness.

Last night I did some plastic welding with a Polyvance kit to seal some cracks in the salvage headlight that I bought and fix a few trim pieces. It's basically a soldering iron with a thermostat that has specific heat ranges marked off to show the range to use on certain materials. The headlight is PP and PC, bumper covers are usually ABS. The kit has filler rods to use with each type of material.

I had most of it done before we had a call for a routine transfer and installed the headlight and some of the trim around midnight after we were back.

Today I took Mrs AAZCD for her first ride in it. When I told her that we were going to use it for an hour long drive to visit family she said, "Are you kidding? Is that car even safe yet?" I assured her that it was, then quickly went out to clean it up and put her favorite air freshener in. First impressions are important. I made sure that the radio knew all of her favorite songs. It was a good drive and she likes it. "A nice car for a road trip."

It's still not fully repaired. The fender is pretty ugly, but generally all in the right place. It has moved along enough that I can comfortably use it while I search for good opportunities for the fender and a couple other small parts. If I find a good deal on another CR-Z in the process, I may pick it up and sell the lesser of the two. I like it as a car to get around town and do an occasional trip when a Boxster or SUV isn't the best choice.

Slippery
4/30/22 10:28 p.m.

Looking good. 

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/30/22 10:38 p.m.

Well done Jon!

8/7/23 7:50 p.m.
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) said:

Well done Jon!

I miss Barry/Hasbro.

Anyway, the CR-Z is up for sale priced at $2,800 for a quick sale. It's on FB market and will probably sell quick locally, but here's the description if anyone is interested. Located in Northeast Oklahoma.

2011 Honda CRZ. Great commuter car. Runs and drives well. 141,000 mile, repairs have been done to the right front fender area and 'check airbag' light is on for front right sensor. The only trade I'm interested in is a *nice* car hauler trailer.

8/9/23 5:29 p.m.

Sold. It has been a good car. Great for comfortable economy on long drives. If it had been manual transmission I would have kept it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3ESHMylLLPwhVoyd7yoTQhJYgjN7vumr3YNPjqiXnDUkWdKoYO65v4byDbomuQKr