1 2
bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/18/24 8:15 a.m.

Howdy all, been awhile. I am back with another project.  Since the last time I posted. I had an 06 Audi A4 which I never bothered with making a thread, an 07 Dodge Ram RCSB 6MT V6, and maybe something else?  I dont recall. 

I came to this Focus ST in a random way. Some years back, when I got the Regal - I had gone to pick up a Focus ST. At the lot, the Focus ST was modded and in questionable shape. So I pivoted to a Regal. 

Cue some time later. I had got in the Ram as a need. I picked up a Mazda B2000  that had way too much rust, and needed a daily. My brother had a 2 owner (including him) Ram with 70K. PIcked that up and drove it for awhile. I had plans for a V8 swap, or a Hemi swap, or something - just couldnt afford it the way it needed to be done. So.

One day here at work. I text the dealer wholesale buyer and ask if in the next couple months - can he find me a Focus ST? He texts back in a minute and says how about this? Turns out the sister dealer had a 16 in stock!

So a deal is made. 16 Focus ST ST1 with 73K. Great shape. 

Now, what to do?

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
4/18/24 8:22 a.m.

This interests me, I have been following ST's for a while now, they are starting to get cheap, but the ones that I can afford have to many bad mods and flat brim vape juice all over them. Yours however looks really nice.

bonylad
4/18/24 8:26 a.m.

As with any of my cars. Maintenance. It had just been serviced but it did have some issues.

1. Clutch Master was leaking fluid.

2. Stock 73K spark plugs (these cars as I have found out, eat plugs - need to swap every 10-15K)

3.Stripes peeling on the roof

4. Little things here and there.

First thing was speak to the dealer, and they agreed to pay for the CMC. Which works out great. Ford has an OEM part which included the CMC and a new pedal assembly. That worked out well - as the clutch pedal was missing the brushed accent. That was replaced. During that time it was discovered the battery box mounting points were broken. A replacement is here now, but I haven't installed it yet. Need to plan a day to clean under hood and replace the box. 

So second thing I did was swap plugs.  Two of the four had ground straps were worn nearly away and one had a chip missing on the strap. Swapped with SP550X plugs, which are stock heat range and what not. 

Car runs so much better. I had an occasional stumble in a third gear pull. Thats gone now, and it feels peppier. Given how they looked, I can see how. 

Next I upgraded the side mirror turn signal. Little mod, but they turn the clear lights, into a black sequential turn signal. 

Before......

The parts.

And after....

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Dork
4/18/24 8:28 a.m.

Nice! These are very fun cars. I had one for 2 years that I bought through these forums and it was arguably one of the best cars I've owned.

what are your power plans? I ended up full bolt on with e30 and it was surprisingly quick 

bonylad
4/18/24 8:31 a.m.

I have also gotten into RC cars. Current rig is a 1/5 scale 32 CC Losi DBXL 2.0 which I am having way too much fun with. 

Have had -

Traxxas Blast BOAT

Traxxas Slash modded

Arrma Infraction 3S

Arrma Typhon 3S modded

Traxxas T Maxx modded

The T MAXX should get its own thread. LOL

bonylad
4/18/24 8:32 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Thank you! It was stock. I do vape - though I do my best to not fall in the stereotype. They were asking 16K, got it for 13K as I am an employee. New brakes, new tires, new battery, etc...

bonylad
4/18/24 8:35 a.m.

In reply to Cooper_Tired :

Not too much? Its honestly deceiving how quick it is. Rip out third and you don't realize how far over the limit you are. Smooth and torquey. I really don't know if I will do any real power mods? Im getting older and car that's quick and reliable with some creature comforts is more appealing to me. 

bonylad
4/18/24 8:36 a.m.

One thing I plan to do, that I just remembered. I removed the AC belt. The belt had jumped over and was rubbing on the serpentine belt. So I ordered new ones. Need to slap them on today. Getting warmer and AC IS nice......

bonylad
4/21/24 9:53 a.m.

Belts replaced. Everything is quiet and working great. I may check the Freon level at work to be sure. It it feels good, but could be better?

Slapped in the black spoiler. Feel it really ties the car together. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
4/21/24 10:25 a.m.
bonylad said:

In reply to trigun7469 :

They were asking 16K, got it for 13K as I am an employee. 

$13? Are those RS's really that low?

Doh, I read it wrong that it's an ST (do the Homer Simpson voice)

bonylad
4/21/24 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

lol. If this was an RS for this price.....I'd be doing cartwheels!

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/24 10:25 p.m.

Any bad torque steer? I read the later ones did much better in that department. I remember the eLSD fighting the steering in one I drive when they were released. 

bonylad
5/8/24 7:53 a.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

No not really. Granted if you turn off the nannies you can get some, if you drive aggressive.  I don't really beat on it too much. I may occasionally do a hard third gear pull near to redline. At that point, nope. :)

bonylad
5/8/24 8:02 a.m.

So, the wife had surgery for a gall bladder. She had some weight reduction. I took the time over a long weekend to tend to some things. 

One. I installed the Symposer delete. Removed that whole thing and blocked it off. I now have a place for a vac fitting, if I want to run a future blow off valve or something to true vacuum.

Two. I replaced the jacked up battery box. IDK what happened. But it was broke, and I wanted a new one. So I did.  Also cleaned the terminals and applied protectant to the leads.

Three.  Degreased and pressure washed the bay. Came out very nice. I intend to get the underside when I change the oil soon. Also replaced a coolant overflow line, that I may or may not have broken pulling the box out. Coolant refilled with OEM Ford.

Before......

After.....

bonylad
5/20/24 8:39 a.m.

Nothing huge to report. 

I had not planned to tune the car, though I came across an interesting option.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-14204-FSTA

A factory tune, that makes the car more aggresive in normal driving, and gives 90 lbft more torque. A factory option, that does all that, for $300?  Yeah sounds a good deal.

Still want to upgrade the intercooler, as its horrid from stock. 

In other news, I prematurely did an oil change. I wasnt sure what oil the dealer I got the car from - used.  So I changed it to a a factory filter and some GF6 (designed to combat LSPI) Mobil 1.  Im sure its my imagination, but it does drive better.

In a treat, my brother from another mother stopped by.  Yes I know I need to do some lawn care, havent had the time lately. 

In a Polaris Slingshot R.  Now thats a ride.  It had the 203HP four in it, very fun.  I did get to drive it, and I did not send it (as it was his rental and I was unfamiliar), but boy howdy! I could see one of those in my future as a toy.  Turns out it was in a nanny mode as it was tuned, my bro was told this later and how to get out of it. Super fun. 

bonylad
6/3/24 8:40 a.m.

Installed a MRT Resonator delete. Nice piece. Gives the exhaust some nice tone and noise - though still perfectly reasonable for daily use. Makes the exhaust maybe 15 percent louder and aggresive. Perhaps? 

Either way.....weight savings?

Was under the hood, and heard a hissing noise. Found a leaking line from the Vac pump to the diverter valve solenoid. IDK if it helped anyting, but it needed sorting.

bonylad
6/10/24 8:19 a.m.

Did some mods, rather a mod.  The stock intercooler on these cars are horrid. One or two runs and they are heat soaked. Even without a good run the intake temps are rather high. This can contribute to engine damages as well, assuming LSPI is factored in, incorrect oil type, and substandard fuel.  I have taken that in account, and run the correct oil and 93 as well with some octane boost (whether that helps or not IDK, but figure it cant hurt).

Another benefit is the active grill assembly is removed. Lowering engine oil temps as well.  Between that and the IC upgrade (which keeps intake temps around ambient), its a good deal. Its a DEPO intercooler BTW.

Removed and getting ready to install.

Before and after pic of the IC.

Of course you know I had to clean.

Its a brand new IC, but you can see my shy guy I put on the IC, then removed as I am too old for that E36 M3 now.......

Great quality as well.

First impressions?  Not huge, but seems to maintain that first pull feeling, the entire time.  Very nice, and a piece for the future. 

I ran it on the hwy with cruise, 95 degrees yesterday with a/c on with wife and kid. Car felt lively. Very happy.

bonylad
7/29/24 8:36 a.m.

Did some things. 

I had not planned on a tune, though with the SCT X4 - I could get a little bump and turn off annoying things such as the Active Grill Shutters (already deleted but setting a code), the Symposer (already deleted), the shift ECO guide (hate it) and get another 23 hp and 30 ft lbs.  Not a huge gain, but I have options to get a custom tune down the road, and can tweak throttle response, launch control, etc. Nice mod, that gives me some flexibility for the future. IDK I am a sucker for SCT. Cobb is the defacto tuner for these cars, but I like being the odd one. 

Also installed some NGK 6510 (1 heat range colder) plugs @ .028mm gap. Apparently these cars eat plugs - these have maybe 4K on them?

Also replaced my worn center console arm rest. Hard to see, but the leather was cracked/peeling and looks like a repair had been made.

Before 

After

Not pictured are the solid shifter bushings for the cables, nice mod. Took alot of slop outta the shifts.  Also replaced the hose clamps on the IC with T bolt clamps. I wasnt really feeling the fitment with the stock clamps on the IC. The stock piece has a plastic end tank with ridges to grip the piping. The uprated one, does not. Never really felt like it was really biting down.

Really all I need now is a solid rear motor mount and I thing the car is where I want it to be. 

bonylad
8/9/24 12:44 p.m.

Cars running great. No mods done lately, though I do have one coming. 

OBX apparently is going out of business. I had looked at one point for a downpipe but decided against due to cost versus gains. 

Boredom hit and one day I stumbled on this. 

Its a OBX resonated (catless) down pipe for $33 bucks!?

Cant be real, right? Worth a risk?  So I ordered it and posted up in the group on FB. Several others ordered it and it's legit!  Waiting on mine, due Tuesday. I mean. A 330 buck down pipe for 33 bucks shipping has gotta be a deal?

I sourced some vids of what it will sound like, and to my relief. It will sound just like my GTI did. Stock muffler with catless DP and resonator delete. Quiet but aggressive as it's needed. 

Will update. Other than that I need to do some paint repair to the bumper and just maintain it. I think this weekend, I will change the trans fluid and add some Liqui Moly Ceratec, as is the recommended fluid the guys use on the group. Stay tuned!

bonylad
8/18/24 1:08 p.m.

My downpipe came in. I will install it and at the same time, make sure my wastegate is not out of adjustment. Apparently you can tweak the to hit and hold boost quicker and longer. A mod or maintenance? Idk but it's free so I am down. One guy with a draggy shaved several tenths off his 1/4 time just by adjusting it and all things stayed the same. 

Either way. That's another post. 

For now, met a cool guy with a Focus RS. Super nice guy and car. Wish I had one, but goals. Idk. I still have a hard on for a Golf R. 

I wanted to "try" a drop in filter. I've been told they run better on stock tunes with a stock filter. I am tuned and figure with the ECM having revised targets a filter may help. May also get the RS lid as well. We will see, but for now I reinstalled the stock lid. 

Compared to stock. 

And installed. 

bonylad
8/25/24 11:20 a.m.

Today's adventure was two fold. Adjust the preload in the wastegate actuator, and install  the resonated downpipe. 

First the adjustment. Doing this allows the turbo to hit and hold boost quicker and longer. Most people go four turns on the adjustment. As always. I am conservative. So I did three. 

Didn't do a before and after as I was installing the downpipe. 

The downpipe. 

Compared to stock. Which I found out somebody had been in this car and done something. The hanger was installed with the hangers pushed through the wrong holes. Sigh. Fixed that. 

With the sensors installed and a spacer for the secondary. We will see if it does what it needs to do. 

Impressions? I did a KAM reset and on initial drive I had the usual smoking from oils and new pieces breaking in. 

In WOT I had initial black smoke out of the exhaust where it was relearning. Impressions are, hits faster and longer with a nice gain. I can see the 15 hp some claim. Not as loud as I hoped as it's resonated. With the stock muffler, this and the resonator delete it has a very nice tone, somewhat louder but not obnoxious. You can tell it's not stock. 

Very happy!

bonylad
9/1/24 8:08 p.m.

Did some maintenance today. Replaced the oil and filter. 3K interval. Helps to prevent LSPI. So I've been told. People with more mods and more miles do so, so it can't be a bad thing. 

Also replaced the transmission fluid. Funny thing is a lot of people run DCTF. Which is thin. A bunch of people on the groups run 75W90 synthetic with some additive. I did the same. Initial thoughts are it's great. Need to drive it further, but so far. I'm a fan. 

Old nasty stuff.

New stuff going in. 

Also fixed a exhaust rattle. My hanger for the downpipe was tweaked. Didn't realize it, till I found it was sitting too close to the subframe. Tweaked and repaired. 

Also.  Started a DIY catch can. Will update. 

By the way? Anyone reading this stuff? 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/1/24 9:10 p.m.

In reply to bonylad :

I've been following along. I still miss my 17 FiST, I would love a beater FoST or another FiST at some point. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/2/24 8:14 a.m.
bonylad said:

By the way? Anyone reading this stuff? 

I wonder if the EPA put the catless downpipe maker out of business. 

Mrfurzzy1
Mrfurzzy1 New Reader
9/2/24 8:19 a.m.

In reply to bonylad :

Yes, and thank you for the OBX tip! I was able to order a manifold for my AW11 for only $80 shipped. I have been unable to log into my account for the past couple weeks and ended up having to make a new account to log in

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vYqmftbL0kqHaFlq3CsZUVU185aiGMDnfV5cRc98FPtJMDa5eiOPVUqZi782dncO