1 ... 57 58 59 60 61
Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/13/24 2:41 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Yeah, getting to run the hill a bunch to hone skills would be fantastic. But I'm not sure how someone goes about doing that.  

Lof8 - Andy
8/14/24 3:47 p.m.

Sxs races this weekend.  And scca Rallycross nationals is allowing UTV class this year!  Registration opens this evening. 

Lof8 - Andy
8/17/24 12:08 p.m.

'Bout due for another Crown Vic race at the Freedom Factory.  I haven't run there since getting the cheater ecu tune.  (That everyone else was already running)

Lof8 - Andy
8/18/24 8:59 p.m.

The UTV short course race on Saturday was pretty awesome!  It was at North Florida Speedway in Lake City, an old dirt circle track that I'd never been to before. It's a significantly bigger track than the Bullring, where I've done short course stuff before.  The day was hot and the track was very dusty.  Throughout the evening they ran water tracks that turned the surface more slick and muddy.  The course used 3 separate detours from the oval into the infield, with 1 small jump.  

the races were all run from a standing start, which is kind of unusual but pretty cool.  The YXZ can launch hard!  In the heat race, I got the hole shot and led 6 laps before a caution.  I flubbed the restart and dropped to 3rd. I was able to pass 1 guy and finished 2nd. 

normally the heat race finish would determine starting order for the main, but apparently not the case here.  I was eating a cheeseburger in the stands and heard the call for "Amateur NA" class. E36 M3!  This wasn't the order they had posted!  I sprinted down to my car and lined up, nearly at the back of the class line. This put me in the 2nd row of 3 cars wide.  I lined up way low on the track, so I was not directly behind the guy in front of me and could shoot to jump the start a hair and make up some ground.  

The plan worked fairly well and I was up to 3rd into the first corner.  I picked off 2nd place a few corners later.  1st place was a pretty equally prepped YXZ and we battled hard and close the entire race. He'd occasionally open the door for me to do an over-under pass, I'd get beside him, but then he'd have the line on the next corner.  It was a good clean battle with almost no contact.  The whole time, I was getting pelted with his roost, visor caked with dirt.  

on the last corner of the last lap, I entered way outside.  He took a defensive inside entry and pushed out just enough for me dive inside him. My Chinese all terrain tires hooked up well and I pulled just enough on him to take the lead and the checker!!  🤘🤘🏁

My GoPro failed me, but that was one of the most wildly fun races I've ever done!  There were some drones flying, so I'm hoping some race footage gets posted.  

after the race, in the pits, several other racers came up to congratulate me and commented how awesome the race was to watch. It felt great! 

Lof8 - Andy
8/18/24 10:04 p.m.

Well, my recollection of the start to the main was a bit off.  Looks like I had the lead after turn 1, but the white/blue YXZ got into my rear and pushed me sideways, ultimately back to 3rd to start the race.  

Lof8 - Andy
8/19/24 10:04 a.m.

Dude in the Spyder Facebook group posted this pic.  It's the only kart I've seen other than mine.  He says he's planning to bring it to the $2k challenge! 🤔

he's also 2zz swapped, but has the 6 speed and says nitrous is in the plans  :)

Lof8 - Andy
8/19/24 5:36 p.m.

I grossly underestimated the forces applied at the clutch master cylinder. 

but I was able to straighten the bracket and add some bracing without disassembling everything.  She's good and solid now.  Motion feels smooth. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/19/24 5:47 p.m.

All the bracing!

Lof8 - Andy
8/22/24 6:51 p.m.

Mechanical systems done!  Wiring left to do. 

also need to do exhaust.  Will be a single pipe on the right side, leaving transaxle exposed.  Hoping to fit a resonator and another "flowmonster" like I used on the Spyder.  

Lof8 - Andy
8/24/24 1:38 p.m.

factory dirt/dust cover over the brake master cylinder area needed a little modification to clear the clutch master and coolant hoses.  Pretty pleased with the result.  I'm anticipating the radiator fans kicking up a bit of debris, so the guard is a nice idea imo.  

Lof8 - Andy
8/28/24 7:33 p.m.

There's a bit of interesting drama happening in the FL Crown Vic racing world this week. Freedom Factory (Bradenton) and Auburndale (Lakeland) are only about an hour and a half apart and both are hosting Crown Vic races Saturday, September 7.   These 2 tracks have worked together in the past to not host the same classes on the same night.  

Auburndale's Facebook page started the day with a post that Sept 7 will be a "double points" night, to deter any of their regulars, hunting for a points championship, from going to FF.  

FF/Cleetus followed up later in the day with a post with $1000 for their winner, $150 for every driver who enters the race and free pit entry for drivers (usually about $25).   Apparently the Auburndale owner, Rex, doesn't care much for FF and Cleetus ain't scared to retaliate. 

the FB posts on both pages are going crazy!  A local David vs Goliath battle.  Personally, I want all local tracks to thrive as long as possible and the beef seems pretty silly.  

Lof8 - Andy
8/29/24 6:16 a.m.

Auburndale responds with $2000 purse. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
8/29/24 8:21 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Yikes.  Almost like a real world Weaber Valley post. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
8/29/24 1:52 p.m.

This is the story of short track promotion nationwide, and has been since the invention of auto racing.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/24 2:03 p.m.

The shield/cover looks great!

Lof8 - Andy
8/30/24 10:39 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

This is the story of short track promotion nationwide, and has been since the invention of auto racing.

I'm sure it's fairly common but I've been peripherally involved in Florida circle track racing for 5 or 6 years and not seen it displayed so publicly until now.  It has kind of an "old school" feel that is entertaining.  

Lof8 - Andy
8/30/24 10:42 a.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

I was not aware of the Weaber Valley page until now. 😂😂 good stuff!  "B main Boyz" is another good one. 

Lof8 - Andy
8/31/24 9:37 a.m.

Trailer got a bath in preparation for the Crown Vic race next weekend.  Pretty satisfying. 

im not used to a flywheel being this exposed.   Anybody have any thoughts?

built an exhaust.  Not my prettiest welds, but functional.  Vibrant resonator, Magnaflow muffler, and eBay mandrel bent kit.  All 3" and built for under $300. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/1/24 9:41 a.m.

How hard would it be to make a simple sheet metal cover that bolts to the transmission adapter to mostly cover that? With it facing forward it seems like at some point debris will get up in there. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/1/24 10:29 a.m.

In reply to adam525i :

If those socket head screws aren't proud of the adapter, that's exactly what I'd do. I assume they are not but if they are, simple spacers where the shield bolts in would do also.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
9/1/24 11:36 a.m.

Cover it somehow, it will collect the wrong trash for sure.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
9/3/24 3:51 p.m.

I'm looking at a possible 914 roller tomorrow in hopes to start a similar build. Curious how you are doing the harness and ECU stuff. I really loved the Haltech Elite 1500 on my FRS k swap and think it might be my go to again. The E throttle makes tuning SOOOO much easier if you end up not caring for the cable actuation. Also you'll be thankful you stayed with the k24 oil pump setup. It took a considerable amount of effort to get the FRS closer to OEM vibes with the k20 oil pump. I was under the impression you didn't need a baffle with the k24 oil pump though maybe that's in stock FWD layout?

Lof8 - Andy
9/3/24 4:11 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

hell ya!  I'd be very excited to see another one.   There are a million opportunities to solve problems on the project and I'd like to see someone else's take on it.  I spent a fortune at Wiring Specialties for their custom harness, haltech 1500 and IC-7 display, and a wideband kit.  I had to find the switched power and starter signal wires near the car's key switch and the rest of the harness install should be plug and play.   I'll have to make a couple of wires related to the battery/starter/alternator etc, but hopefully not too difficult.   

I'm far from a pro with wiring, so I'm taking it very slowly.  I thought I was going to have to ship the harness back when I found a missing plug for the "vtec pressure switch", but I got off the phone with them an hour ago and apparently, thats not needed with an aftermarket ecu, so I plan to push forward this afternoon.

I kind of wish I'd gone e-pedal.  There was quite a bit of work to make the cable work.   As for oil pan baffle, I don't know for sure.  I'd just rather be safe than sorry.

I filled the cooling system over the weekend and found 2 leaks - both at different ebay/chinese/aluminum adapter components that are a struggle to get to now that the engine is in the car.  But I was able to disassemble them and goop them up with sealant, so hopefully that issue is solved.  I'll keep an eye out for your 914 thread :)

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
9/3/24 4:32 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Yeah I think the oil switch ends up doing dual duty which is how mine was setup. IIRC it had to use a specific Bosch switch that came with the K Power swap kit.

We will see if this deal ends up working out or not. Hoping there's no hidden rust. What I've seen so far looks really good near the hell hole and if the longs look anything like that area I will be happy. It's just a roller but since I want to re-power that's not a deal breaker.

Also I don't have the budget I did with my FRS so I'm curious what the transaxle adapter stuff cost if you don't mind sharing.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
9/3/24 8:52 p.m.

Also don't know if you've read it yet but these can be a pain in the ass to bleed the coolant system. Depending on how you did plumbing at the thermostat and back of head lines it can make a huge difference. 

1 ... 57 58 59 60 61

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DsoDS1WL4MYYQtlVBxCQEORJgMTH9kFVnNL2e4dNq5rWcfZchadMRb6KxnlALk1u