1 2
jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
12/13/20 8:44 p.m.

Hello Everyone,  In 1967 my family moved from Woodstock,NY to Orange, CA.  I was going into 5th grade.  My dad took me to a Can AM race at Riverside raceway.  We sat on a hill and watched the race.  The Can AM cars were no rules (I think), run what you brung cars.  I fell in love with them that day. 

In the early 70's I saw a movie called "Gone in 60 seconds".  In it was car that looked very much like those cars. Especially the ones built by McLaren.  I found the it was a kit car called the Manta Mirage.  It had a Chevy small block engine hooked up to a Corvair trans axle. To use the Corvair trans axle in mid engine configuration it had been flipped over.  The car used VW bug front suspension.

I've built a car from a kit and a number of cars from scratch.  One of them was my Cheetah inspired build that I've posted on this forum.  I'm going to be 65.  My 5 kids are gone and I'm retired.  I needed something to do!  I started to look for a Manta body.  I wanted to build one with a Chevy LS engine and with Corvette suspension.  Unbelievably last week I found an un built kit.  The gentleman that started it had grafted C5 Corvette rear suspension at the rear and tubular front suspension based on the Mustang 2.  I bought it immediately.  I'm taking possession in a couple of weeks. 

I have a C4 front suspension in my garage.  If it will fit I think that I'll remove the Mustang parts and install the Vette front.  I'll also evaluate the frame.  I'm not sure if I'll use it as is, modify it, or build one from scratch. 

Attached are couple of pictures of finished cars and of the parts that I'm getting. Having fun. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/13/20 8:46 p.m.

Wow beautiful  

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/13/20 8:57 p.m.

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
12/13/20 9:01 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

smiley  The Coyote was a modified Montage which was a kit by the same company.  If my memory serves me. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
12/13/20 9:18 p.m.

Might be able to fit an LS with Porsche G-50 in it? Just flip the LS intake 180 degrees. Search Factory Five GTM.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/20 9:24 p.m.

Oh man, I think that's one of the Dobbertin C5 rear setups, whittled from a chunk of billet. Very cool!

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
12/13/20 9:30 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

Might be able to fit an LS with Porsche G-50 in it? Just flip the LS intake 180 degrees. Search Factory Five GTM.

Thank you for the suggestion.  It just so happens that I have a fresh LS1.  I purchased it about 15 years ago out of a wrecked Camaro. It's just been sitting in my garage.  A couple of months ago I had it gone through, machined and reassembled with lots of new parts.  With the exception of a mild cam upgrade it's stock.  I plan to put it in the Manta. I may run the stock intake in reverse.  But, I'ld love ITB's. 

I'm looking at Trans Axle options.  I'm leaning toward the 6speed from a Boxter S.  There is a company (Renegade)  that swaps LS engines in Boxters and claim that the trans is good for 500lb.  I'm not racing it so I'm thinking it should be good.  The fact that the Boxter is mid engine and uses cable shifting makes the installation easier.  I'm calling Kennedy tomorrow to price out the parts to adapt it.  

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
12/13/20 9:36 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Oh man, I think that's one of the Dobbertin C5 rear setups, whittled from a chunk of billet. Very cool!

That is one of the Dobbrertin C5 rear setups.  I haven't seen it in person but it does look cool.  I've built a couple of cars using C5 suspension.  I actually have a jig for it and a frame in my shop set up for C5.  

I'm getting a lot of parts included with what I purchased.  The full Body. The frame. Windshield and side window glazing. C5 rear suspension complete with axles.  The Tubular front suspension with steering. Original snap in interior.  The Dobbertin C5 rear set up.  Side pod fuel cells. Vette ZR1 wheels with brand new tires.   I feel lucky!

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/20 10:14 p.m.

Awesome! Paint it Papaya Orange!

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/13/20 10:21 p.m.

Exciting!

I was big into kit cars in the 80's. I like both the Mirage and the Montage.

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
12/13/20 10:30 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

This is the car from the movie.   I think that I will paint it Papaya Orange. The Mclaren team car colors starting in 1968 I believe. 

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
12/30/20 7:27 a.m.

My son and I picked up the Manta yesterday.  I was like a 4yr old on Christmas morning.  This is an original kit that has never been completed.  Everything looks great.  My son is 6' 2" tall.  I am as well.  I was surprised that we fit in the car well.  Having fun!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/20 9:14 a.m.

In reply to jmc14 :

That is stunningly beautiful!

It's amazing to see a kit car company nail the styling, since so many of them miss it by this > < much...or are just plain ugly. 

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
12/30/20 9:57 a.m.

In reply to jmc14 :

Looks awesome! Looking forward to following the build.

Aaah, the things of my boyhood dreams. I'll be living vicariously.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/30/20 11:36 a.m.

I want one. Can they start making these kits again? Are the original molds lying around in somebody's backyard somewhere. 

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
12/30/20 2:20 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to jmc14 :

That is stunningly beautiful!

It's amazing to see a kit car company nail the styling, since so many of them miss it by this > < much...or are just plain ugly. 

I've been told that the guys that created the Manta were making the bodies for the Mclaren race team.  They had molds for those cars and modified a body to create their kit.  I do not know if that is true or not.  

I have searched for bodies and molds for this car for some time.  I've read that the molds were sold a long time ago to a gentleman in TN.  I don't know if that is true.  

I'm going to eliminate the pop up headlights and mold in recessed double stacked light mounts. I'll have Polycarbonate covers for them.  After I finish the body I may make molds.  With LS power and Vette suspenison this will be my Mid Engine Vette.  Shooting for 1900lbs.

I have molds for my Cheetah and frame jigs.  My son just graduated from college with a Mechanical Engineering degree.  He has a strong interest in my cars and racing.  Maybe kits for my cars will be part of his future.  

I off loaded the Manta into my garage today.  I need to get finish a project that's in my shop. Then I can get started on the Manta. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
12/30/20 2:41 p.m.

Proud  of you for finishing a Kit Car :)

So few ever get done......

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
1/11/21 7:28 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Thank you.  :)  I''m not great at what I do.  Just persistent.  The other 2 cars in the shop I built from scratch.  Bodies and frames.  Building my cars is my hobby and what keeps me sane.  I can't seem to stop.

I have a 34 inch inseam.  I found that the leg room was a little short for me to be completely comfortable.  There is room on the frame to move the front suspension forward by 5 inches.  I cut out the front of the molded cockpit tub and slid the suspension forward by the 5 inches. If I do this i would fit very comfortable.  I'm going to switch the Mustang style front suspension to C4.  The upper control width of the Mustang is the same as the C4. But, the C4 lower control arm width is a few inches wider.  This would create more room in the foot box and eliminate the need to run wheel spacers. 

I moved the front body clip forward by 5 inches today to see how the car looked.   I did the same with the upped and lower doors then used duct tape to fill in the gaps.  I like the extended look.  I will have to cut and move the dash rearward. And, cut and lengthen the side pods.  The rear suspension cradle can be moved rearward by an inch. This would better center the rear tire and give a little more clearance between the engine and cockpit bulkhead.  This would put the wheel base at 100 inches.

Note that the suspension is just mocked up. 

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
1/11/21 9:20 p.m.

Besides more work, that change has win all over it

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
1/11/21 9:34 p.m.

Wow. This is awesome. I've always wanted a Coyote X replica.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
1/12/21 1:01 a.m.
jmc14 said:
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

This is the car from the movie.   I think that I will paint it Papaya Orange. The Mclaren team car colors starting in 1968 I believe. 

bet this guy had alot of gold  chains around his neck

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/12/21 1:17 a.m.
jimbob_racing said:

Wow. This is awesome. I've always wanted a Coyote X replica.

I was a young man when Hardcasthe and McCormac came out, and although being a old school hot rodder at the time, I REALLY dug that car!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/12/21 1:22 a.m.

In reply to jmc14 :

Although its not something I would ever be able to afford, I would love to see your son follow up on y'alls kit car ideas! Such cool stuff. I looked into moving to FL in the early 80's, and would have been looking to join in on some of the kit car companies there at the time. But by the time I actually looked into finding one (only a few years later, really) they wer all out of business. Guess it worked out for the best, but it woulda been kinda cool to have been a part of all that.

mke
mke HalfDork
1/12/21 12:46 p.m.

Ok, I'll admit that I had a info pack for this kit in the 80's and every now and then still search them just in case there is a cheap one near by looking for a home.  Looking forward to seeing it come together!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7qJiPxzwi4zTIZnpZ7bIQF7XKhO1OoO4S0yBd6l8Gva4pwOuytSZaSmtBTGKnWxx