1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Obioban
Obioban New Reader
12/17/18 1:33 p.m.

Got some new toys coming in the mail that I'm super excited about 

Obioban
Obioban New Reader
12/17/18 1:33 p.m.

Bought some corner balancing scales, though I haven’t used them for that yet.

I’m a bit disappointed. The truck/semi weight station had told me the car weighted 3071 lbs, but it would seem that was optimistic. 3112 lbs with a 3/4 tank. Pretty sure that means I’m not going to be able to get it under 3000 lbs with a full interior and quiet (stock weight) muffler 

On the other hand, 52.6% front, 47.4% rear is better than I was expecting! 52.1% front with me in the car.

My winter projects will likely get it just under 3100 lbs.

Obioban
Obioban Reader
12/17/18 1:34 p.m.

Should be useful on track (running on my head unit):

Only needs these little sensors on the valve stems:

Obioban
Obioban Reader

I’m very pleased with the stock look of the avin3, and all the functionality it’s enabled (not to mention the ~50 lbs of weight saving)!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork

So this is a one-owner, daily-driven, all-weather driven, BMW M3 that has been extensively modified to make it more awesome than the awesome stock car that has 120,000+ miles on it, including autocross and track days, and it still looks like a show-car?  

Obioban
Obioban Reader
12/17/18 1:41 p.m.

Lol, I guess that's accurate. Though 150,000+ miles at this point, of which >10,000 are track miles laugh

It has been retired from DD status, though-- I now DD an M3 converted e46 wagon (full mechanical and electronic conversion, but stock M sport body work-- so it has M3 engine/trans/diff/subframes/suspensions/bushings/brakes/seats/cluster/ecu/steering wheel/exhaust). The M5 is my wife's DD now. 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
12/17/18 1:52 p.m.

Wow, I don't know how I missed this build before but this is absolutely amazing. This is pretty much my exact image of the perfect all around e46 m3.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
12/17/18 2:08 p.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

Wow, I don't know how I missed this build before but this is absolutely amazing. This is pretty much my exact image of the perfect all around e46 m3.

You didn't miss it - he posted ALL FIVE PAGES starting today, sourced from his BMW forum posts.

Obioban
Obioban Reader
12/17/18 2:10 p.m.

In reply to RedGT :

Slow day at work indecision

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
12/17/18 2:26 p.m.

ah ha! I feel a little better then, couldn't believe I'd missed a fellow e46 build! I haven't gone back to the beginning to notice the date stamp yet :) 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/17/18 4:36 p.m.

Welcome!  Remember you from M3Forum, glad to see you still have the car.

Obioban
Obioban Reader
12/27/18 8:31 a.m.

One of my winter projects on the M3 is brake ducting. I made some progress on that recently. 

3D printed brake duct I designed. They are not cleaned up at all, because I didn't know if they'll be final. 

They attach to the factory mount points, and run the air through the center of the factory brake duct/underbody mount bracket, so there won't be any hard bends in the 3" soft line.

They don't attach to the factory bumper, which means no unsightly screws visible on the bumper and taking the bumper off isn't a PITA:

They do fit with the fog light mount bracket attached.... but it's ugly. 

Soooo... painful to do, after 15 years of faithful service from this bumper, but time to trim:

How it looks with the fog light mounting provisions all trimmed off: 

Please excuse the Tesla like panel gaps in the bumper. Nothing was clipped in place because it was just a test fit-- still had to install the passenger side. 

On the rotor side, I'm planning to use the Hard Motorsports 355mm BBK rotor duct, as it's the only solution I know of that's designed to work with 355mm rotors. It also vents into the center of the rotor, instead of the face, which is the correct way to do it (I was talking to one of Brembo's engineers, and his take was the ducting onto the rotor face on one side, but not the other, was worse than no ducting at all). 

I did make an alternate version of the duct that include an intake air feed for the CSL box, similar in concept to the Evanturi bumper scoop. I'm going to monitor my IATs and install it if they're elevated vs ambient (they weren't before when above ~10mph). If they're not, I'd rather have equal brake ducting for the driver and passenger side.

I'm pretty enthused with the "look" of it, installed. That's pretty rare for me-- I almost always hate any change initially. But, I think they look "stock" if you didn't know the e46 m3 came with fogs from the factory. That's my criteria for any mods that change the look of the car-- if someone who isn't familiar with the e46 M3 can pick out any given part as aftermarket, I don't want it on my car.

SteelGreyM
SteelGreyM New Reader
1/1/19 4:39 p.m.

Obioban. The M3 God. I just turned 18 and my m3 is going to be as awesome as yours one day!

Please tell me what splitters you used up front! They look awesome. A snowplow decided my current bumper wasnt good enough and decided to remove some of it for me :)

Did you have to do any cutting or anything to get those to fit? I want a CSL bumper. However, they don't offer any brake duct cooling so I think I will go OEM. I have the Kevlar crash bumper like you so the SGT CSl style is not an option. Right now im thinking just an OEM euro bumper (orange side reflector delete) and whatever splitters you've got.

I do have a mod recommendation as well! A lightweight flywheel and racing clutch! I have the JB racing kit in my car. I mean it completely transforms the driving experience. The pure *rawness* is what made me fall in love. Not to mention my pedals and shifter have some "weight" to them now, making it just that much more satisfying to drive. Yes it is a bit noisy at idle. But to solve that problem I usually just go for a drive :)

I also have the e60 short shift lever in my car, along with an f10 m5 illuminated shift knob. Looks 100% OEM (cause it is) and feels incredible. Only thing you need to do is glue the new boot onto the current "frame" and boom youre done! I can send you pics if you want!

Anyway, Happy New Years! Can't wait to see more in 2019!

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
1/2/19 6:38 a.m.

wow those 3d printed brake ducts look awesome! I've toyed with the idea of making some similar because like you I dislike how you have to attach the currently available options to the bumper which makes bumper off servicing a chore!

Nice work.

Obioban
Obioban Reader
1/12/19 8:12 a.m.

In reply to SteelGreyM :

I have to admit, I have no idea what splitters are on my car. After getting a couple "nice" versions, only to have them continually destroyed by steep driveways, I'm running some generic ebay splitters. They're probably the crappiest part on my car :P

I have a SSK on the car already-- the auto solutions 20% reduction. IF I change it (which will probably not happen till I need to have the trans out for something else), it'll be for the auto solutions 0% reduction kit. I don't actually like shorter throws, but I do like the precision of the AS kit. Which, sadly, is the opposite of what you get with something the e60 lever. My brother had the F10 knob in his e82. It looks nice, but the amber is the wrong shade for the e46, it's a different type of leather, and I don't like the metal band around the base. 

... I'm not really a fan of light weight flywheels, either. I would get a non adjusting single mass, if I could find one that was 100% silent, but so far I haven't seen such a thing. I went through 3 different light weight clutch/flywheel options on my e36 m3 (2315 lbs, and had the euro s50b32) track car, including a JB racing setup, before giving up and going back to stock. I really dislike my car making any noises unless something is failing, as it makes knowing when something is failing much harder. 

... this post makes me feel like a part pooper :P

Obioban
Obioban Reader
1/12/19 8:12 a.m.

Thought I should update last weekends progress before I started this weekend... 

Cooked the studs out of my old hubs (getting replaced with the wheel bearings, as they're part of the same part):

Swapped the springs for 325 lb/in driver front, 300 lb/in passenger front, to try out the flat ride thing (still need to change the driver rear for a 700). Amazing how stock the Ohlins look with a black spring (as least if you're used to colors):

Swapped in the ZHP/yellow tag/712 steering rack (along with new (OEM) Lemforder inner and outer tie rods:

I'm also swapping the reservoir, since the PS fluid filter is built into it. But, I was pleased to see that the new cap is a CHF-11S cap, w which is the fluid I'll be running in this car going forward 

Obioban
Obioban Reader
1/14/19 6:33 a.m.

I don't know if I should put this here or make a separate thread, but my DD is a fully mechanically/electronically converted, but stock bodywork, e46 wagon. I was pulling it into the lift bay yesterday as I'm going to replace the rod bearings (rolling over 200,000 miles and the lead levels), and had to take a couple pictures of the nice clean red contrasting the snow. 

I need to get my m3 mirrors installed 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/14/19 7:17 a.m.

I was going to ask if you ever got the wagon sorted out.  I remember a small bit of frustration after the initial delivery.

And congrats on the expecting! What is "ObiobanWife" driving these days? wink I don't remember hearing about the M5 incident.  Was it fixed?

Obioban
Obioban Reader
1/14/19 8:00 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

The wagon pickup was exciting. Only time I've literally had to fix a car on the side of the road in a desert, and then drive it across the entire country cheeky. But, it's been extremely solid since the teething pains-- already put 50,000 miles on it (which seems crazy, as I feel like we just got it!)

The M5 just had a dead battery. She's still driving that most days. If it's especially snowy, she prefers the suburban (which we run studded snow tires on, so it's pretty unstoppable). 

... we are debating getting a car we don’t care about to absorb all the inbound baby disgustingness, so that none of the good cars have to be ruined :P

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/14/19 9:16 a.m.

In reply to Obioban :

Could get another MINI.  Would definitely be a car you don't care about. devil

Ah... there was something earlier in the thread (from the initial 2017 posts, so don't know which original date) about the M5 (the E60?, maybe) being possibly totaled.

I liked W965 Blizzaks on my Cummins.  Those tires seemed to defy the laws of physics with that truck.  Nothing that big and heavy should be able to stop and turn on ice so easily.

Obioban
Obioban Reader
1/14/19 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

Ah, you mean when the m5 (e39) got rear ended? It turned out to not be totaled. So, fixed under their insurance! Was that in this thread? I was trying to limit it to M3 stuff, but maybe in my copy paste haste some M5 made it in :P

I don't see another mini in our future. Working on it was just too unpleasant for me to want to own one. But, the leading contender for baby absorber is lighter than a mini 

I have snow tires for everything but the M3 coupe (it doesn't see salt anymore), but it's amazing what snow tires + ground clearance + locking differentials can get through. Once there's more than 4-5" on the roads, the cars stay home.

SteelGreyM
SteelGreyM New Reader
1/15/19 12:17 a.m.

In reply to Obioban :

Ahaha you're not a party pooper :)

1) I had just replaced the lightweight flywheel and clutch just 10k miles ago. Just a week ago my pressure plate cracked! I used a new plate and bolts last time I replaced it so I guess just bad luck :( Im gonna keep the flywheel though, as I have grown to love both it, and the performance upgrade. and because racecar 

2) I will have to go with generic ebay ones as well then. To be honest there arent any "nice" splitters like these that are for OEM bumper. So we have to buy cheap crap.

3) Are the CSL kingpins/spindle a direct bolt on for our cars? IIRC the only difference is that they add caster. I was going to do this along with the hub/bearing soon as well.

4) What subframe bushings are you currently on? I lost track but I think youre on AKG 95a poly right? I am doing this job soon and im confused by the options. People say OEM ones hurt the subframe and people say aftermarket arent good. Never got a "final opinion" on these.

5) And one final thing. I know its off topic but its the only way I can think of contacting a moderator. I am getting frustrated because m3forums tells me that I don't have access to anything. I cant even view my own profile page! I cant reply or start a new thread or anything. I have made 4 different accounts over the last year or two and they all have the same error message. My username is Whitehawk8 and I would be very appreciative if you could check it out real quick.

wow that was a lot. sorry :P

Thank you!

Obioban
Obioban Reader
1/15/19 9:27 a.m.
SteelGreyM said:

In reply to Obioban :

Ahaha you're not a party pooper :)

1) I had just replaced the lightweight flywheel and clutch just 10k miles ago. Just a week ago my pressure plate cracked! I used a new plate and bolts last time I replaced it so I guess just bad luck :( Im gonna keep the flywheel though, as I have grown to love both it, and the performance upgrade. and because racecar 

2) I will have to go with generic ebay ones as well then. To be honest there arent any "nice" splitters like these that are for OEM bumper. So we have to buy cheap crap.

3) Are the CSL kingpins/spindle a direct bolt on for our cars? IIRC the only difference is that they add caster. I was going to do this along with the hub/bearing soon as well.

4) What subframe bushings are you currently on? I lost track but I think youre on AKG 95a poly right? I am doing this job soon and im confused by the options. People say OEM ones hurt the subframe and people say aftermarket arent good. Never got a "final opinion" on these.

5) And one final thing. I know its off topic but its the only way I can think of contacting a moderator. I am getting frustrated because m3forums tells me that I don't have access to anything. I cant even view my own profile page! I cant reply or start a new thread or anything. I have made 4 different accounts over the last year or two and they all have the same error message. My username is Whitehawk8 and I would be very appreciative if you could check it out real quick.

wow that was a lot. sorry :P

Thank you!

1) Yeah, I don't subscribe to "because racecar". I want my cars reliable enough to drive across the the country at the drop of a hat and any funny noises to be indicative of an issue.  "racecar" basically translates to short life and/or NHV unsuited for street use. I want neither (even when I had a dedicated track car, much less this car which is duel purpose). 

2) Indeed. 

3) They are a direct bolt in. Volke explained their benefit nicely over on M3F:

The CSL kingpins add ~1 degree more negative camber without changing the SAI(steering axis inclination). Camber plates add negative camber by moving the top strut mount toward the center of the car. Unfortunately, on a MacPherson strut front like the E46, moving the top mount inward also increases SAI. Larger SAI results in more caster loss as the wheels are turned left or right, and in turn, less effective caster throughout the range of motion results in more positive camber gain.

A car with CSL knuckles will maintain more caster and gain less positive camber throughout the full range of motion of the wheels. It should also have "better" steering feel, but that's subjective and hard to quantify. Theoretically, a track car with CSL knuckles can achieve the same side to side tire wear and temperature distribution with less static negative camber than a car with the regular M3 knuckles. This is especially nice for dual purpose cars because running a lot of static negative camber will cause the inner edge of the tire to wear faster than the outside when cruising on the highway or driving around town.

4) AKG subframe bushings do not fit correctly and bend the OE brace during installation. If you're in the market, I'd suggest getting the CMP solids. They raise the subframe, to counteract some of the suspension geometry lost from lowering the car. Solid subframe bushings don't meaninfully impact NHV so long as you keep all the drivetrain mounts (particularly the diff) stock. IMO they're the best on the market-- I plan to switch to them next winter. There's a GB on them going on on M3F currently. http://cmpautoengineering.com/product/cmp-ae-solid-aluminium-subframe-raising-bushes/

5) Looks like you need to click the link in the verification email you get when you create a new account. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/15/19 10:46 a.m.

BBS on wagon looks good

SteelGreyM
SteelGreyM New Reader
1/15/19 9:48 p.m.

In reply to Obioban :

THANK YOU SO MUCH. Im not sure if I ever check for a 2nd email. I always thought there was only 1 verification email not 2. God im dumb :P

Thanks so much for all the other useful info. Have you personally felt those solid subframe bushings before? People give em pretty good reviews. Just don't want to mess up because if I were to replace it I would have to drop the subframe at home on jack stands which is never fun.

After doing some more research looks like I will be going with those CMP subframe bushings, turner reinforcment kit (my shop is used to it. Other wise I would go redish), TMS rear lower control arm with OEM rubber bushings, OEM rubber on upper control arm bushings, powerflex black RTAB, and rubber diff bushings. I think thats all. I will definetly update you on ride quality afterwards however keep in mind that I also will have poly RTAB.

Do you have a problem with TMS solid bushings or are the added changes to these better? 

Once again thanks for your patience and help with all my questions!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aGMaqzd0WQf4oBx6z9xLsuMugBdtn3ZgCPJpQRFdT0eIvOvjyhiEnQp4XSUO9RPO