maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/6/17 3:39 p.m.

Here's a piston clock I made for my old man a while back. I made a second one to keep for myself. Thought you all might like it.

He has restored 2 seperate 1969 American Motors AMX's to beautiful numbers-matching condition. One of the 390 V8's had cracked heads and bunch of unusable rusty internals, so I ended up with the scrap because GRM. This is after some light sandblasting.

Tack welded the con-rods to the piston pins.

Couple coats of clear to keep the rust away

Cut some rings out of plastic with a hole saw. I recommend wood for this instead.

This is a woodworking clock insert, which are just a few bucks and come in standard hole sizes.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
2/6/17 4:26 p.m.

This is rad as hell! I plan on making a super cool cigar ash tray out of one of my lambo pistons when my engine is done.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
2/6/17 4:36 p.m.

Nice! I've been trying to think of something to do with some pistons and rods I have sitting around. Where did you buy the clock insert?

Dave
Dave Reader
2/6/17 4:39 p.m.

Piston Powered Shop Towel Holder

Very nice. I made a piston shop towel holder a couple years ago. Yours looks better.

Pushrod
Pushrod New Reader
2/6/17 4:52 p.m.

Very cool.

mck1117
mck1117 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/6/17 6:19 p.m.

Dude how has that laptop not died yet?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/7/17 6:56 a.m.

In reply to mck1117:

That's an old picture, but yes it is still alive although permanently relegated to Pandora/service manual duty in the garage.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/7/17 7:35 a.m.

Very cool

nice work

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZYrGwilzA2EUn2PqhwchMwbVAMsG53rt5ccN88T2tuTbbaNlx51tBKLFCOPhpXO1