Conquest_LR4
Conquest_LR4 None
5/7/14 1:47 a.m.

I have wanted one of these cars since I was 17. I thought they were one of the coolest cars I'd ever seen come out of Japan. Now that being said the engine in them is a love/hate relationship. More hate than love. The 2.6 4 banger in these are quite peppy and you can tinker with the OVCP piping, exhaust, and timing to pop 220-240 hp fairly easy. But, it's like dating a supermodel. She's moody, complains a lot, and is hella expensive to maintain. Which brings us to "Project Conquest" I knew I wanted to do something different. I explored all kinds of theories. 4.3 Vortec turbo charged, 2JZ turbo, R32-N1, etc, etc. Until I read an article in Super Chevy Magazine. There was my epiphany. If you get a chance to read it do so. "5.3 vs 4.8 Little LS Slugfest" That it was prompted me to go with the GM Gen III LS based LR4 engine in my conquest. These are fleet vehicle engines so they are very reliable, 295hp stock (SC Mag ran a test pulling one directly from the salvage yard with 180k on it, twin turboing it, and gave up trying to break it at 26psi and 1203hp. All stock! Bottom end, top end, fuel system, etc... :D ) and freakin dirt cheap (Buying one from a salvage yard with 60K on the clock for $600) I am having the heads done (CNC porting 2.00/1.54 stainless valve package with multi angle valve job. Crane Roller cam (.590 lift, 224/232 duration split at 0.050 & 115LSA). F.A.S.T. LSXRT Intake with Godspeed 102mm throttle body. Hooker 1 3/4" headers with Borla XR1 racing mufflers and VOILA! 476fwhp in a car that weighs 3,000lbs dead. Not to mention factory staggered 16" wheels attached to a factory double wishbone McPherson independent suspension. A turbo is in the future for it as well in order to keep the "TSI" true to form and turbo'ing is just to much fun! Anyways I'll post the progress and hope that anyone who has done a V8 swap on these will chime in with any advice.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
5/7/14 4:57 a.m.

my only advice is post pictures!

Conquest_LR4
Conquest_LR4 New Reader
5/7/14 9:56 a.m.

In reply to edizzle89:

Lol thanks and I will.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/7/14 12:06 p.m.

Sounds awesome. Loved those in the 80's and now.

Conquest_LR4
Conquest_LR4 New Reader
5/9/14 10:09 p.m.

Yeah, even by today's standards it's still a very attractive car IMO. I cant weight to get a little deeper into the build :D

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WzcPxH22365jBVG1egIrJgxo6klB7SuENRCHA43AeTrnJqVW992CxVGIRgTrjeFa