ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects New Reader
2/8/23 9:20 p.m.

I'm at a point where I have enough time and resources to practically tackle a pretty serious project starting in about 2 months. My problem is deciding which of a number of potential projects to focus on.

I have 4 projects that are looming large in my mind, all attractive for different reasons.

1. A sports racer (street legal and titled) that would require 6-12 months of commitment, but represents the least cash outlay neccesary for completion, I have at least 90% of the parts I'd need already.

Pros: It's the cheapest option. It's already in my storage. It would be cheap to own and operate.

Cons: 2 seats (couldn't take the wife and kids for a Saturday afternoon cruise) No creature comforts whatsoever. Likely little resale value unless I found 'the right' collector.

2. Porsche speedster replica. Would require complete build, probably 6-12 months, need to acquire everything beyond the basic tub.

Pros: These are pretty cool to me. Good resale value compared to most 'kit cars' if done well. Technically has 4 seats, and I could put the litle kids in the back and take them for a cruise

Cons: Not many creature comforts, would cost a bit to build to a high standard, even when doing the work myself. Not a real Porsche

3. Air cooled 911. I have a line on a fairly complete project that's in my project budget.

Pros: It's a Porsche 911. I've wanted one since I was 18. 4 seats (small ones, like the 356, but they exist) Could be put on the road in 3-6 months as a 'driving project'. If done 'right' has a good resale value.

Cons: Would be costly to build 'right'. Not cheap to maintain/run

4. 60's Italian exotic GT. I have a line on a rare exotic that needs a complete restoration. It's in such a state that it would likely be a 3-5 year build, it was literally cut in half.

Pros: It's a beautiful, powerful car when done. High resale value when done. Italian exotic cache.

Cons: Could easily cost 5-8x as much as some of the others to build. 2 seats. Italian exotic ownership costs

Right now I'm leaning towards the 911 as being the best balance between my desires and resources. While I've wanted an Italian exotic of some sort (again... long story) the 911 is a specific car I'd like to own long term, it and the sports racer are the ones I wouldn't be thinking of selling eventually throughout the entire build process. I already have the sports racer parts, so storing them longer wouldn't be hard and I could build that after whatever project I choose.

I have trouble with project creep and ADHD about projects in general, so I need to make a decision and shelve, sell, or walk away from the others in order to complete my next project.

I'm mostly posting to kind of process my own thoughts, but at the same time, I'd like to hear other folks thoughts on the matter.

egoman
egoman Reader
2/8/23 9:29 p.m.

Who am I to inflict my opinions on you? Keep them all and do them all. No time to be sensible now?

In reply to ToManyProjects :

The 911 does seem like the right combination of time/money/ROI, plus usefulness & desire. Though if the exotic is what you really want, and you're sure you can commit the resources to complete it, then go for it.

Conversely, if you decide the 911 is really more $$ than you're comfortable spending, go for the speedster replica. 

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
2/9/23 7:26 a.m.

Carefully consider the requirement for four seats. I have had several fun cars (some 4 seaters, some 2 seaters). In the ~30ish years I probably had my whole family of four in the fun car once. Most times it was just more practical and more comfortable to do family driving in whatever daily driver we had. I am the sole occupant of the fun car over 90% of the time. 
IMHO - Project 1 is the way to go. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/9/23 8:12 a.m.

911 all the way. 

ToManyProjects
2/10/23 1:09 a.m.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the thoughts and insight.

I think If I can make the deal on the 911 work, I'm going that way, fingers crossed.

Honestly the rear seats are pretty important to me. I drive the kids to school most days, so having a back seat that I can strap booster seats into will mean there are a lot more days in a week I'll have the option of taking the fun car. I have other fun cars (some soon to be sold to finance this project) but I drive them very little as they're 2 seaters. A 4 seat car, even with a minimal back seat, will get driven 10x as much as a 2 seater at this point in my life. The 911 will also have things like A/C and roll down windows, making it much more practical and pleasant to drive with some frequency.

This decision is all about my 'next' project, not my 'last' project, so the sports racer can sit in storage until I get to it, the 356 replica tub can do the same, and I just don't think I can justify the years of my life and potentially huge sums of money I'd lose to the exotic project, so I'll let someone else with more ambition and cashflow (and less need for a back seat) tackle that one.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/10/23 10:14 a.m.

The nice thing about a 911 with little ones is that you can pull the backseat cushions and mount child seats/booster seats more easily. From what I've read about folks that have done it, there is a bit of finagling but it can be done without troublesome permanent changes to the car (assuming your kids are young enough to need booster seats).

ToManyProjects
3/31/23 7:45 p.m.

A deal has been struck, and a 1980 911 roller with an all steel wide body and cab conversion should be here sometime next week or so. It's theoretically rust free, but missing a bunch of stuff. When it arrives the real fun will begin.

ToManyProjects
4/24/23 3:06 a.m.

A thing happened:

Now I will roll it into a parking spot and not touch it while I: 1. finish up some house projects for the wife AND 2. sell of some crap to help pay for all the parts this thing will need.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/24/23 7:15 a.m.

Awesome! I'll be following along!

ToManyProjects
4/24/23 8:31 a.m.

The thing in the light of day:

Yeah, daylight doesn't make it look better...

Definitely some stuff missing here... more than just the engine... I wasn't expecting a shock to be missing?1? Oh well... it's just money, right?

That's it for now...

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/23 9:17 a.m.

"I have too many projects, so my solution was to buy another project"

yeah, you fit in perfectly here

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
4/24/23 9:25 a.m.

The 911 Cabrio is the ONLY one worth considering ! Even if you end up with a high performance Beetle engine or a V8/V6 transplant it's still a barrel of fun, a ton of class, and money in the bank when you sell. Although another Porsche or Hypo VW engine is the easiest, I'm not all all opposed to the Buick V6 conversion, as my Ghia will attest to.

ToManyProjects
4/24/23 10:35 a.m.
Patrick said:

Yes... but... but...

Really just yes, I could justify and make up excuses all day, but I've been hunting for the 'right' project for nearly 2 years, so I don't feel bad about it.

DocRob
DocRob Reader
4/24/23 1:35 p.m.
Patrick said:

Hey, it's not nice to be so....truthful...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pi5KDfU6Ic0lxOVSqP5mCD9iSGwGMbWp40EwGWjnU4Rr8pUnQjCFkvIabV4Lz61P