1 2
psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
6/10/15 6:36 p.m.

The car has been languishing in the yard for a while in need of body work and some minor mechanical tweaks. I'm not very experienced at body work, so I may ask lots of questions. The whole album is here.

photo DSCF0024_zps0albvyat.jpg

This one is just rough photo DSCF0030_zpsfgzgpvvc.jpg

383 Big Block photo DSCF0032_zpsxonrugvs.jpg

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/10/15 7:06 p.m.

I'm in.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
6/10/15 7:11 p.m.

72 swinger?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/10/15 8:11 p.m.

bodywork? it needs chemotherapy.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
6/10/15 8:15 p.m.

You had me at dart.

And it's just weight reduction. Factory equipment on mopars of this era.

I've never seen a non-rusty original mopar.

Jayisacarguy
Jayisacarguy New Reader
6/10/15 9:30 p.m.

Looks like a cool project. I had a 70' with a 400 big block I swapped into it. That looks like an RB though, 440 I'm guessing? Also are those ford pony rims, is it running an 8.8 rear?

psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
6/10/15 10:06 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: 72 swinger?

Close, it's a '71.

psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
6/10/15 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Jayisacarguy:

It's a 383, forged crank, polished rods, ARP bolts and lightweight flat-top pistons that was all balanced. I think the heads were 516 closed chamber castings. There was a lot of porting done to the heads. There's some full length headers on it that were a pain to massage to fit. We've got the cheapest ebay roller tipped rockers on it right now and have had 2 of them give us problems, so they'll probably be upgraded soon.

The 8.8 is out of a 2000 explorer, currently running 3.55 gears with a limited slip. 4 wheel discs are much better than the stock four wheel drums the slant six car came with.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
6/11/15 5:39 a.m.

I had a '71 that I drove for years. Loved that car.

Where in MD are you?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/11/15 3:07 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

All old cars parked outside eventually rust there, trunk seals leak and water pools, plus you get stone chips on the outside.

Jayisacarguy
Jayisacarguy New Reader
6/11/15 8:48 p.m.

In reply to psychic_mechanic:

I can't imagine getting full length headers to fit, you must really be good at modifying things. My mid length headers were a big enough struggle for me, haha. I ran with the drum brakes, no doubt the discs add some nice stopping power. Engine sounds like a nice build, my buddy runs a 383 with 516 heads in a duster, great running car! Looking forward to watching your dart progress!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/15 8:57 p.m.

Cool. My grandfather had a '72 in that color.

psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
6/11/15 10:11 p.m.
Pat wrote: I had a '71 that I drove for years. Loved that car. Where in MD are you?

Southern MD, a stone's throw from Solomon's Island.

We're trying to do an hour or two to the car every day, so this huge project makes steady progress. I forgot to take pictures today when the sun was up but the yellow paint has been stripped from the roof and inside the trunk opening.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
6/11/15 10:33 p.m.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
6/13/15 2:06 a.m.

That's a good looking Dart considering the surroundings.

Are those wheels also from an Explorer (or SN95 Mustang?) They look 90s domestic OEM as can be.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
6/13/15 5:26 a.m.

Looking forward to seeing how you sort out the rusty bits.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/13/15 6:02 a.m.

Oh boy. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for these.

psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
6/13/15 7:42 p.m.
ssswitch wrote: That's a good looking Dart considering the surroundings. Are those wheels also from an Explorer (or SN95 Mustang?) They look 90s domestic OEM as can be.

SN95 Mustang, we're probably going to swap them out for some newer more angular ones when the bodywork is done to match the body lines of a dart better.

psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
6/13/15 7:52 p.m.

The good news is that the fender stripped pretty easy since at some point it was repainted without any primer at some point. All of this just scraped off with a wood chisel that was nearby.

photo DSCF0036_zpshpvpwtzg.jpg

So it didn't take too long to get to this point, there's some ripples in the top of the fender we never noticed before, but nothing major.  photo DSCF0033_zpsmslpx6xf.jpg

Most of the car isn't being stripped to bare metal, just to solid paint. All of the yellow house paint has to go.  photo DSCF0034_zps7xostd57.jpg On a side note, the $49 we spent on a canopy today really helped turn a unbearably hot day in the sun in a slightly warm day in the shade.

psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
6/24/15 7:59 p.m.

The weather hasn't been cooperating much lately, but we did get some more done today. Cleaning all of the paint out of drip rails is a royal pain. A really small wire wheel is the best tool I've tried so far.

photo DSCF0042_zpsij9hnsbe.jpg

I pulled the bumper and the front pan off so we can get behind and between the panels. The suprising thing was how straight everything was, nothing sprung back after being unbolted.

photo DSCF0041_zpsy0rznrpd.jpg

Most of the yellow and black paint is stripped off, pretty soon the real bodywork begins.  photo DSCF0040_zps9dyfwxka.jpg

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
6/24/15 8:18 p.m.

Mustang bullet wheels.

And white with a red interior.

Thats where my head goes for thiscar.

psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
6/25/15 9:11 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Mustang bullet wheels. And white with a red interior. Thats where my head goes for thiscar.

It's got a nearly flawless green and black interior so we're probably going to carry those colors over to the exterior. We're going to stay with 16" wheels, probably a set of late V6 SN95 rims like these:

We got the driver side rocker stripped today and made good progress in the door jamb before the clouds rolled in.  photo DSCF0044_zps26vwn1eg.jpg Most of the dirty mop-applied yellow paint has been stripped from the hood. The grille and fender extensions came off. The car had one pot metal and one composite fender extension, I don't think it came from the factory that way.  photo DSCF0043_zps2kybua33.jpg

I'm going to at least upgrade these sealed beams to halogens. I may try to scavenge or adapt some round HIDs to fit in these housings, I've really been spoiled by modern lighting.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/26/15 6:52 a.m.

There is nothing not cool about a Big Block Dart

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/26/15 7:15 a.m.

In reply to psychic_mechanic:

IMHO, go with 17" wheels. While I agree 16" wheels may look a bit better, finding tires is becoming a pain. Many more options in 17" and in an age of everyone stuffing 18-20" wheels under old cars (and are OEM on so many new cars), 17" wheels don't seem to look as big as they once did.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
6/26/15 5:40 p.m.

I would love a big block dart sometime down the road. In the meantime looking at this one makes me very happy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
giJ4AVGjYA11ZDV9TVr41u8ILMoxwOWXS3QubaRUwNvdeRN1hiFeqmwGOPu0owrD