1 2
psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
6/28/15 7:29 p.m.

The rain poured down Saturday but we did make some progress today. We got some test color out of a rattlecan on a fender to see how it looked in the flesh.  photo DSCF0053_zpsx47htwxg.jpg

We still have to put more time in the cowl vents to make them perfect but we did get a lot of the yellow caked-on paint out of them.

photo DSCF0055_zpsha7icqtt.jpg

I started working on the skim coat over the 1/2 quarter panel we put on last year. Rage gold filler come highly recommended from the interwebs and I must say it sands very well. The car had a bad habit of spitting up while refueling, probably because there's no vent on the filler tube. Since it needs attention I'm thinking of going modern with a ford capless filler neck. Therefore it will need a filler door so I haven't done any finish work near the filler opening yet until those details are nailed down.  photo DSCF0056_zpsqvowdn9n.jpg

I still have to put the other quarter on, so you guys will get to see that.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/28/15 7:39 p.m.

No shop or awning?

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
6/29/15 3:21 p.m.

Makes me feel like a wuss for setting up a mini paint booth to do some mirrors.

psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
6/29/15 9:44 p.m.
bgkast wrote: No shop or awning?

We picked up a 10' x 10' shade, it's working for now. We may do something a bit bigger (maybe even with "walls") when it gets to the paint stage.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/29/15 10:29 p.m.

Maybe this doesn't apply to the nice stuff, but for some reason I want to say that body filler will pick up water, and can cause paint issues later should it get wet before painting.

psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
8/26/20 1:20 p.m.

Life and other projects got in the way for a bit but we're making progress again. We're attempting to do even just a little bit every day so progress is made steadily now.

We do need a couple more 2003-2004 Mustang Mach 1 wheels if anyone has some laying around

We've cut off the panel which had some but not nearly as much filler as the other side in it.

Added in some patch panels to give us something to attach the fresh metal to.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/20 2:56 p.m.

383, the big block that revs like a small block!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/26/20 3:14 p.m.

Glad to see this project has been revived!

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
8/26/20 6:17 p.m.

Glad to see this being worked on again. I have a soft spot for darts as I had 75 swinger in high school and my sister had a 4 door 70 dart a couple years later. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iahGM6TOFD8jy2zEJUAH8J0QYz60sHSF6qQVbENwu061wkcw5QTKbALGblnblojF