1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/20/24 6:01 p.m.
jgrewe said:

Looks like a 4L80 so the chassis is from the 90's at least. If the trans came with the frame...

That's one thing I need to look up, it has a "Compu-Shift" or something on it.  So I'm assuming electronic transmission.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
1/20/24 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That is a $1000 bill with a harness, nice stuff. It looks like this thing has been molested in all the good ways.

Mr_Asa
1/22/24 5:31 p.m.
jgrewe said:

Here is a nice 80's K10 frame pic.

Anything match besides the obvious front axle?

The left circle here is the front spring mount on the rear.  The right circle is forward of the spring mount and is... god knows what?  I don't think its a K10.  At least not the same as the year pictured.

Mr_Asa
1/24/24 8:43 p.m.
lownslow said:

Join the 67-72chevytrucks.com forum.

I tried to do this while I was in Alabama.
What's with the mods there?  I'm still not authorized to post.

lownslow
lownslow GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/24/24 9:26 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
lownslow said:

What user name did you use? I will ask about it. 

Mr_Asa
1/24/24 9:30 p.m.

Same as here

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/24 10:14 p.m.

14 bolt rear GM 10 bolt front.

Mr_Asa
1/26/24 7:50 a.m.

I got a stack of paperwork with the truck from my cousin who is managing all the details of the estate.  It doesn't tell me much, but it does seem to point out that the truck last ran at most 10 years ago.

10 year old fix:

Mr_Asa
1/26/24 8:08 a.m.

I hit post too fast.  Here's other stuff that was included.  I didn't include the Vintage Air manuals, or the Compushift manual as we already know about them

A random note: this whole "brand new project, but 200+ miles away so you can't do anything with it" is berking with my head.  I'm used to just going all in until I'm done or bored.  Maybe this enforced separation of me and the truck will help me keep working on it.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/24 8:05 p.m.

Fluids changed.  Locking gas cap pulled and swapped. Gas not drained yet, need a bigger catch can.  

Ignition switch is a parts house special, so I need to track that down. 

Shift cable is snapped at the base.

Oil cooler is leaking.

Found a lot of mouse-chewed wiring.

Did not try and start yet, gonna get out there tomorrow if I can find a switch in town.

Gf helped me with some cleaning and other randomness.  Nice having one of those that is willing to help.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/24 8:34 p.m.

Any progress is good progress.

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
2/3/24 10:22 p.m.

4l80, 14 bolt rear 10 bolt front, I would guess by looking at it a 1991 3/4 ton suburban frame possibly?

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/3/24 10:46 p.m.

I have a brand new shifter cable that has been languishing in my basement for a while that looks like it would work for you.  Send me a message on where I can ship it to.

Mr_Asa
2/3/24 10:51 p.m.

In reply to Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) :

Appreciate it!

PM sent

Mr_Asa
2/3/24 10:53 p.m.
dclafleur said:

4l80, 14 bolt rear 10 bolt front, I would guess by looking at it a 1991 3/4 ton suburban frame possibly?

Maybe?  I'll look one up later and compare with what I saw underneath. 

Mr_Asa
2/3/24 10:54 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

This was my first actual good look at it as well. I'll hold my next visits to a higher standard.

Piguin
Piguin Reader
2/4/24 5:19 a.m.

Have you taken a look under the carpets?

Get the feeling those 'floors' are hiding horrors, even though the actual repair isn't that hard.

Fingers crossed on the parts hunt.

Also, maybe move this over to the build threads?

Mr_Asa
2/4/24 9:47 a.m.

In reply to Piguin :

I haven't pulled any of the carpet up yet, but I took a hard look at everything underneath now that she's not sitting on gravel and Alabama red clay and critters.  I was mainly checking to make sure there wasn't a hide-a-key, however I couldn't help but notice that there are some severe issues in parts.

Yes.  The horrors are there.  The goggles do nothing.

Build section is a good idea

Mr_Asa
2/4/24 9:39 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Fluids changed.  Locking gas cap pulled and swapped. Gas not drained yet, need a bigger catch can.  

Ignition switch is a parts house special, so I need to track that down. 

Shift cable is snapped at the base.

Oil cooler is leaking.

Found a lot of mouse-chewed wiring.

Did not try and start yet, gonna get out there tomorrow if I can find a switch in town.

I think we have a couple matching ignition switches.  
https://www.amazon.com/167603R91-947399-Ignition-Switch-International/dp/B07C2NGJS3

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-510805

This one misses a few terminals, https://www.amazon.com/Ignition-Switch-Positions-Replacement-Tractors/dp/B083R75JYC/

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-US100T-Ignition/dp/B005XV1SC0/

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/5/24 7:30 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
lownslow said:

Based on my visit to Barrett-Jackson last week the 67-72 truck owners are very busy replacing frames and engines and resto-modding. Seriously that generation of truck is on fire right now - surpassing even early Broncos. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/5/24 8:02 a.m.

This is neat. I love vintage 4x4 stuff.

Following!

golfduke
golfduke Dork
2/5/24 10:34 a.m.

Someone clearly put a good deal of money into this not terribly long ago.  He basically built it to expo/crawler specs, but looks like they just ran out of time, money, or interest.  All of those aftermarket parts are thoughtfully done and correct to the end goal. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/24 10:55 a.m.

If it wasn't already done during the build, You should put everything on relays so you're not running a bunch of current through the ignition switch. Then you don't need a bunch of terminals on each output.

I will check tonight, I think I have a Corvair ignition switch with key. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same part number as the OEM switch for that truck. if I do still have it, I'll be happy to drop it in the mail to you.

Mr_Asa
2/5/24 5:30 p.m.
golfduke said:

Someone clearly put a good deal of money into this not terribly long ago.  He basically built it to expo/crawler specs, but looks like they just ran out of time, money, or interest.  All of those aftermarket parts are thoughtfully done and correct to the end goal. 

I don't think they ran out of anything, I think they handed it to an owner (my uncle) who was ambivalent about it.
From pictures and everything else I've seen, I think it was done, or at least 90% done.

Mr_Asa
2/5/24 5:32 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

If it wasn't already done during the build, You should put everything on relays so you're not running a bunch of current through the ignition switch. Then you don't need a bunch of terminals on each output.

I will check tonight, I think I have a Corvair ignition switch with key. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same part number as the OEM switch for that truck. if I do still have it, I'll be happy to drop it in the mail to you.

I think, for now, I'm going to try and make as few changes as possible.  There were a few people in it trying to start it before my Aunt gave it to me, and I want to try and minimize any wiring changes till I can get it running as a way to eliminate any frustrations.
But, I'll definitely be working on improvements like that at some point.

Would love the switch if you can find it.  I sent a PM.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XVVB9H0r312fQTzfHin5jd7VkqbkJvcBzKXkwEvxgYQwNqkiEJsB6zUWLvbxhh2D