1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23
JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/17/15 3:55 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Exactly which Subaru motor is that? I know some of the older ones (like one you might pull from a GC), especially 2.5s, have problems with oil pooling in the heads in corners so one of those wouldn't be a good choice for this car.

EJ2.2 from a 96 Legacy if memory serves. Its not actually destined for this car, its the motor that was in the Wartburg, I finally got around to picking it back up.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/17/15 7:12 p.m.

Is that the motor I sold you?

It was a 2.0 from a WRX.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/17/15 7:16 p.m.

Jim, go for broke.

If you can't finish by Fri, load it on a trailer and bring it anyway.

I will personally TOW YOU AROUND THE SKIDPAD if I have to to see this thing there.

No other ending to this story will be even remotely satisfactory.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/17/15 7:35 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Jim, go for broke. If you can't finish by Fri, load it on a trailer and bring it anyway. I will personally TOW YOU AROUND THE SKIDPAD if I have to to see this thing there. No other ending to this story will be even remotely satisfactory.

The motor is the 2.2 from the Wartburg, the 2.0T never made it into the car, but I still have it here.

I'll be going with the VW motor for now. Should be making close to 100 hp that will motivate this thing just fine. But yes if I don't have it completely finished I'll tow it down there and we'll finish the build there.

Updates coming shortly.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/17/15 7:47 p.m.

Ok, so I got home and my buddy who was gonna help me unload the subie motor was MIA. Wife needs her car back, engine hoist is stranded behind the rail at the moment. So being the smart guy I am I bolted the engine stand plate too it and lifted it out onto the stand. And I wonder why my back always hurts.

Anyway, after all that I was in no mood to wrestle more motors...

And then I did anyway.

A T4 with dual carbs is a VERY tight fit. Wasn't sure it was going to make it. I still need to fab up some brackets to attach the rear motor mount bar to the frame.

Hooked up the oil accumulator and fuel line and fabbed up a bracket to hold the throttle cable. At this late stage function wins over form so it's not my prettiest work.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/18/15 6:41 p.m.

Very looooong day here's the punch list we started with and where we ended up. We is me and TB Cahill. Many thanks to him for all the help today.

DONE - wire motor (3 wires)

DONE - Fabricate attachment points for rear motor mount.

DONE - Install seat belts (slight fabrication still required for inner mount) points, install passenger seat.

DONE - Finish weld and mount exhaust

NO JOY, Schedule in local shop in the AM - Mount tires, condition tires

DONE - install front shocks.

DONE - fabricate support for muffler

NOPE - Install side panels, apply graphics

DONE - Install battery, includes creating a chassis ground for battery, note to self: ground eng/trans to chassis.

CHARGE FAIL, Just returned from getting a new battery - Charge and/or replace battery.

DONE - Fill and bleed clutch and brakes.

DONE - Oil, fuel

STILL PRAYING - pray for start.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/18/15 8:24 p.m.

Ok a little research and I realize where I went wrong. Should be a runner tomorrow.

I gotta say I'm in A LOT of pain right now. Been fighting some injuries all week and I did them no favors today.

I'll muddle through, its so close I can taste it now.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/19/15 8:52 a.m.

Success! We have a runner! It could use some tuning and adjustment, one of my not so good areas but I'll muddle through. At least its running now :)

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/19/15 8:57 a.m.

And just because I like my stupidity to be teachable moments in case someone else ever does this stuff here's where I screwed up.

When I took apart the motor I removed the steel pulley from the aluminum fan so I could paint the pulley. The timing notch is on the pulley, I never even considered the orientation of the pulley on the fan (because I wasn't thinking about timing at that point) but if its not oriented correctly the timing mark is meaningless. Once I had that oriented correctly it lit right off and scared the hell out of all my dogs.

So if you ever take the pulley off the fan on your T4 motor mark the orientation before you do.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/19/15 12:16 p.m.

You packing a rain tire option? 80% chance on Saturday, 50% chance on Sunday as of today's forecast.

I'm psyched to see this thing in person!

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/19/15 12:56 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: You packing a rain tire option? 80% chance on Saturday, 50% chance on Sunday as of today's forecast. I'm psyched to see this thing in person!

Nope, I'm screwed if it rains which I'm told it always does for the Mitty.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/19/15 1:47 p.m.

Picked up the wheels and tires. Best $40 I ever spent, I'd have never got these mounted by hand.

tb
tb HalfDork
4/19/15 1:53 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:
hobiercr wrote: You packing a rain tire option? 80% chance on Saturday, 50% chance on Sunday as of today's forecast. I'm psyched to see this thing in person!

wheel adapters so that you can borrow tires off of the marauder?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/19/15 2:06 p.m.
tb wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
wheel adapters so that you can borrow tires off of the marauder?

Theoretical possibility but at this point I'll just be happy to be finished. Forecast Im looking at has a 40% chance early Sunday then clearing so hopefully I can just get some later runs.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/19/15 6:20 p.m.

Startup video. A bit quieter now with some disks removed from the Supertrapp. Still some carb popping, I'm not a real expert at this part so suggestions welcomed. Timing is still just set by ear so that's step 1.

https://youtu.be/sSWfWLlDPMo

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/19/15 8:35 p.m.

Too late at night for another test fire but I was poking around and realized the throttle linkage on the carb that's popping wasn't letting it return to idle, it was keeping the butterflys open. I adjusted the linkage properly and we'll see if that doesn't help at all.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/20/15 11:46 a.m.

Well I got a moment on lunch to give it another test fire. Started to seem like it was real good and then sputter, pop, no power, I looked at the fuel pressure and it was zero. out of gas. Refilled, set timing by ear again (will hook a light to it soon I promise) and its running solid. Color me happy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
4/20/15 11:49 a.m.

Hooray! I say if it rains you run with the slicks anyway.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/20/15 11:58 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Hooray! I say if it rains you run with the slicks anyway.

Yep, we'll switch from skidpad to drifting! Yea!

Funny note, when I dropped the wheels and tires to be mounted at the local big box auto store (only place open on sunday) girl at the counter put in the order and said drop them outside bay 2. So when I came back to get them she was still there and looked at me and said "you'd better have pictures, 'cause you dont just drop THOSE off without an explanation" I showed her the Lot Lizard and explained autocross and skidpad and she said "oh, so you drift" facepalm

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/20/15 6:36 p.m.

Is everyone ready to giggle? I know it makes me laugh a lot :)

And on the first drive.....I wrecked it. No, seriously. The shifter isnt in proper adjustment and I backed it into the back of my garage. No damage though. So I need to adjust the shifter and the front has massive toe out right now but hey I've got a few days left right?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/20/15 6:54 p.m.

Ho-lee-crap that looks awesome.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/15 6:55 p.m.

berkeleying awesome!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
4/20/15 7:27 p.m.

I need a berkeleying napkin. This thing is a fantasy come true for me

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/20/15 7:28 p.m.

Just a quick reminder....4 months and 3 weeks ago it was this :)

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/20/15 7:49 p.m.

Wow is this thing cool! I just read thru the entire thread again.

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8rv2Fh2BFI7tN4CKOHDDwWmWcU7kBtIUPzcsUXB48tSCwyZdAUp4VCBectSE9c0e