Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/25/24 7:45 p.m.

So I've had this 1993 Dodge D250 for maybe a year now, and I am really enjoying it and using it.  Had it repainted in the factory color, put some new wheels and tires on it, and I've just been rolling around, hauling lumber, a car trailer, etc.  We recently took a camper trailer on a weekend trip and after that I just did a complete brake job including pulling the rear axles, hubs and drums.  That was a pain in the ass!

Everything's been good but the AC.  It was broken when I bought it, the hoses aren't available, and so I bought everything else I could.  Condenser, dryer, compressor, and then I had a local shop make new hoses with modern barrier hose.  He used the original Dodge rectangular flanges at the dryer, condenser and H-valve, and brazed new o ring fittings onto the tubing stubs at the latter two so he could make o-ring fitting hoses for them.  He did a beautiful job, and I put them all together.. and they wouldn't seal at the flanges.  The dryer ones were the worst, with one offset bolt that holds it tight.  I tried a couple of kinds of sealant, a couple of sets of gaskets, it wouldn't hold a vacuum. 

Finally I got pissed off and decided to throw the condenser and dryer and their E36 M3ty flanges away.  I called Vintage Air and bought the condenser, dryer, and hard lines for a C10 kit.  I'd previously installed one of those and it seemed like it might fit reasonably well on the Dodge (they don't make a kit for the Dodge , and I wanted to use the factory evaporator, plenum, and controls if I could). 

I ended up buying some straight aluminum hard lines from them and bending my own custom hard lines from the condenser through the core support, ending about where the original flange was.  Then I mounted the new dryer with a custom bracket where the original was, and we made three new o-ring end hoses to connect all of this.

Yesterday I finally pulled a vacuum on it and was able to charge it, and it's blowing cold.  It had a ground issue for the compressor relay that I had to track down also but I resolved that this morning.  

Super happy to have AC in this thing!  I typed all of this in one post but I'll add pictures in the next one.  You can ignore the wall of text for the pics, I just wanted to tell somebody about all of the work!

Kendall Frederick
7/25/24 8:05 p.m.

C10 brackets on condenser, tacked to brackets from old factory condenser.  This was the pattern for new brackets.

New brackets cut and installed.  Yes, I painted one side of them black, ran out of paint, then painted the other side grey.  Then I discovered I had a grey side and a black side that needed to face out.  Oh well.

Hard line templates Rev A (which I didn't end up following).

Hard lines bent and on the condenser

Installed 

New barrier hoses with fittings crimped on.  This local shop (Tube N Hose, for anyone who wants a source) does beautiful custom hose work and he has a much better crimper than the octagonal vise thingy Vintage Air uses/sells.

O-ring fitting style dryer installed on a simple bracket, hoses connected.

The flange to the H-valve is the only flat flange retained, we have o-ringed ends on the tubes, and the capillary temp sensor (that little tube thingy  going into the top line) is retained.

Kendall Frederick
7/25/24 8:09 p.m.

Hand model pics..

This pic shows the original Dodge flanges for the dryer.  What kind of stupid design is this with the offset bolt holding a flat flange?  Maybe they had thicker gaskets or some other magic back in the day.  I couldn't get these to seal.

And here is my control issue -- the ground source from the control panel to the low pressure switch was unplugged behind the control panel.

GoLucky
GoLucky HalfDork
7/25/24 11:22 p.m.

Cool. (A/C humor) 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0OOlv5r3L2ulvjTthw64iHG4mwJPEQZlONRyLsBzN9GHMkAugRjX4uU63kYHHEGy