1 ... 8 9 10
wae
wae UltimaDork
9/30/24 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Oh damn!  No, I don't recall seeing that!  I bet that was a wild ride.

In other news, a new battery has been fitted, I cleaned up the battery acid that the last battery left all over the place, new bolts are securing the license plate, and the oil is freshly changed.  I need to clean up the bumpers and the left door and fender a bit and then give the whole car - except the freshly-painted quarters - a coat of wax.  There shouldn't be any problem getting that done by the time the rain is officially out of the area on Wednesday.

wae
wae UltimaDork
9/30/24 8:36 p.m.

A break in the weather gave me an opportunity to finish with the polishing and to put some of the Chemical Guys Hydroslick on all the paint, except for the fresh stuff.  The shop didn't say anything about it, but I've always heard that you should wait a couple months before waxing fresh paint.  I'm very happy with how it has turned out:

I got it tucked back into the garage right before the rain restarted.  I want to do something about adding better sound to the car, but for now I got a $20 Bluetooth-to-FM adapter.  Ideally, I'd like to figure out something that I could connect to whatever the CD changer used so that I'd keep the OEM look.  But that's pretty low priority.  For now, I can't wait until Wednesday when things are supposed to dry up!

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/1/24 1:22 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I think I still have the speakers that I pulled out of the E46 when I put the new BavSound speakers in it if you're interested in seeing if any of them fit well in the Miata.

wae
wae UltimaDork
10/1/24 3:27 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

I appreciate it, but I've got my eyes on a set of Rockford Fostgates from Crutchfield

---

For about 12 hours, we managed to not have any rain, so I took advantage of that and got the Miata out on the road for a few miles for the first time in forever.  There's a nasty vibration at about 35mph and another not-so-bad one at around 70mph.  I've ordered up a new driveshaft since that speed range is more than likely the front U-joint.  It was also running a little bit hot after climbing the hill to get home, so once it cools down a bit I'll check the coolant level.  Other than those minor issues, it was an absolute joy to get out there and drive that car again!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/24 4:06 p.m.

Looking great! It's making me want to polish Sven before the race this weekend.

wae
wae UltimaDork
10/2/24 1:59 p.m.

Finally!  A good day for a drive!

Now that I can see it in the sun, I'm very happy with the color match on the paint.

I've got a new driveshaft on the way and that should take care of the vibration, but I have noticed that as I've driven it, the vibration has gotten a little less severe.  Other than the driveshaft and maybe some centercaps, I don't anticipate doing anything to the car for a while.  My winter list for it is to do something about recovering or replacing the seats - or at least the driver seat - and doing a foamectomy and adding seat heaters, improving the sound system, and trying to find the refrigerant leak in the A/C system.  There's also a small oil leak that I think is coming from the valve cover gasket and I may or may not look at that.  And I may refresh the suspension as well, but I think the Saab is in more dire need of such work.

wae
wae UltimaDork
10/2/24 4:13 p.m.

Can't catch a break!  Taking the car to pick the youngest daughter up from school, the little rubber isolator on the clutch pedal broke apart so every time I hit the clutch there's a tapping sound which is irritating.  And then on the way home, it popped a P0420 code, so it looks like it's time for an anti-fouler.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/24 4:31 p.m.

The vibration could be as simple as flat spotted tires from sitting. Drive more :)

wae
wae UltimaDork
10/2/24 4:38 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Well, when I drove the car to and from the paint shop, that's what I thought.  But now that the brand-new, freshly mounted and balanced tires are on there, I think that's less likely. 

But I'm going to keep driving it, just in case!

1 ... 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mPNcyIRS3JGPknOEljgZRKRvX2zWSgRg2roR86qgz2QmBeQS1lR5DhQREIvTmro6