Svenska94Aero
Svenska94Aero New Reader
2/3/16 2:36 p.m.

...Miata!

I finally got my new daily after a rather long search. The wait for the perfect combination definitely paid off though, and I'm quite happy. It's a 2012 Touring, 6spd manual with just under 46,000 miles. Has the handling package, which included Bilstein shocks and LSD, as well as traction/stability control.

It's replacing my 2002 Mercury Mountaineer I've been dying to get rid of since I moved. I'm commuting roughly 450 miles each week for work now, so having something a bit more fun, comfortable, and fuel efficient will definitely help things.

The only modifications I'm looking at for the time being are a Hard Dog roll bar (for an occasional autocross and carrying a kayak in the summer), a removable hard top, and upgraded speakers. But who knows, things may change...

Oh, and it will be sharing the paddock with my other new project, a nearly mint 1973 Saab 99 EMS, that I just brought over from southern California.

dcamp2
dcamp2 New Reader
2/3/16 2:42 p.m.

Nice car! I think I need a NC Miata someday.

Where are you located? I see Colorado plates... I'm in Colorado Springs and do a bunch of track days if you're ever interested.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/16 2:42 p.m.

Nice.

Just don't start looking at the Flyin' Miata or Goodwin Racing websites :)

Because you'll start looking into 2.5L swaps among other changes

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
2/3/16 2:53 p.m.

Beautiful! Still one of my favourite cars to track. That looks really clean.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
2/3/16 3:43 p.m.

That Saab!

Svenska94Aero
Svenska94Aero New Reader
2/3/16 4:15 p.m.

dcamp2, I am up in Fort Collins! Definitely hoping to hit up a few events this year!

Stefan, unfortunately I've been looking at Goodwin for well over a year before I even bought the car! They're definitely going to be making a pretty penny off me in the future!

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/16 5:03 p.m.

In reply to Svenska94Aero:

FlyinMiata can do the same engine conversion (or sell you the parts to DIY it) and they are a bit closer in Colorado, because I live to enable a fellow car nut :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/16 6:06 p.m.

Plus you can trust us You can definitely come visit us.

I'd go for boost over a 2.5 conversion, personally. More fun, especially when altitude is involved.

Svenska94Aero
Svenska94Aero New Reader
2/3/16 7:49 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Plus you can trust us You can definitely come visit us. I'd go for boost over a 2.5 conversion, personally. More fun, especially when altitude is involved.

Haha I'm not planning on it, but if anything happens to the current engine, I've already considered a MazdaSpeed 3 swap. My other car is getting a turbo already, and although I do love boost, I like to differentiate my cars a bit. I will keep the options in mind though!

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
2/3/16 8:27 p.m.

Congrats! I love the looks of the late NCs

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/16 8:56 p.m.

That Saab would look so cool retrofitted with two yellow fog lenses on the inner lamps and two blue HIDs for the outers. Something like this:

See? It's already attracting the ladies!

Svenska94Aero
Svenska94Aero New Reader
2/4/16 5:20 p.m.

Haaahahaha. Well okay then Honestly, I am considering doing yellow-tinted lights eventually. Thanks for the photoshop!

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
2/5/16 7:20 p.m.

Nice NC, congrats!

We have both an NA and NC and love them for both their differences and the similarities. The NC is a Club PRHT, and is my wife's DD. Only problem is having two Miatae to spend $$ on at once!

And... why not a 2.5 and boost...

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
2/5/16 8:38 p.m.

Aww, came here hoping your answer wouldn't be 'The answer.'
Buying one to DD is a bold move imo, and I say that as someone who DDed an NA for a few years.

seyhan3535
seyhan3535 New Reader
2/5/16 9:22 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: That Saab would look so cool retrofitted with two yellow fog lenses on the inner lamps and two blue HIDs for the outers. Something like this: See? It's already attracting the ladies!

Best photoshop I've seen in a while.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
2/8/16 8:28 a.m.

We did the yellow lights with my old '78 99 DD. It was as easy as finding a W123 Benz in the junkyard.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/8/16 8:29 a.m.

sweet

Svenska94Aero
Svenska94Aero New Reader
5/7/16 3:04 a.m.

Got a little busy tonight. Involved way more cutting and trimming than I was initially expecting, but the end result is worth it.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
5/7/16 8:34 a.m.

I spot an e39 M5 and a SC300... you sir, are a man of class

Svenska94Aero
Svenska94Aero New Reader
5/7/16 9:35 a.m.
NordicSaab wrote: I spot an e39 M5 and a SC300... you sir, are a man of class

I wish I could claim credit, but it's my friend's place. The E39 is his father's and the SC is his brother's. His lifted FJ60 and 80 are just out of frame. Super nice shop space, and they're generous enough to let me use it pretty much whenever I want.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/7/16 8:34 p.m.

Nude Olivia Munn on a Saab...nice.

I like the NC. Seems like a better daily than the NA/NB. Nice purchase.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/16 9:00 p.m.

Which HD roll bar is that?

Svenska94Aero
Svenska94Aero New Reader
5/8/16 12:23 p.m.

Here: M3 Hard Bar with Double Diagonal

The pic and description are a bit deceiving, I wasn't expecting to have to cut gaping access holes in the bulkhead to install sandwich plates for the lower mounts (the pic only shows factory bolt locations on the lower mounts, the actual bar has kind of an L-bracket, so 6 bolts on each side). The center section of the factory roll bar is retained, and screwed into brackets on the bar. The plastic trim behind the seats also required a substantial chunk to be dremeled out for clearance.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u7t33JjsZ0iag2h26eicXIgxnDItEAOyDB3Tbs33KZECNwbdO7aVhbvTqMIWsR0l