1 2
Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/23 10:48 a.m.

My kids surprised me this year and bought me a car. It's a car I've been on the lookout for for a long time. Needless to say, I was flabbergasted. The story of that is here.

The car in question is a 1962 Ford Falcon 4-door, 4-speed. It's probably one of my favorite body styles. I love the soft lines, the curve at the nose, the curve of the back glass. It's a great little car. This one has the 170 i6 with a whopping 105 hp at 4400 rpm and 156 lb-ft of torque at 2400. Fast it isn't but the little 6 cylinders are fun to drive. 

20230923_091917.jpg

20230923_091932.jpg

20230924_174752.jpg

I'm still not 100% certain where this car will end up. It runs well. Due to a lack of paperwork, insurance, and seating, I haven't actually driven it. It does move under its own power. It does have one spot of rust that is through the panel on the rear quarter as well as rust spots at the base of the back window that will need some attention. It has also been hit in the passenger rear. That dent has been pulled but not finished. Whoever pulled it did a very good job. The floors have also been replaced. Whoever did them did a pretty good job as well. They have also been painted with bed liner so they should be good to go for a long time.

So where do we go from here?

Part of me wants to strip it down and restomod it. I have a complete 302 in the shop and an offer for a 5-speed. A set of fat wheels and tires and a cool paint job and it would be set. But that's what everyone does. At that point I might as well LS swap it. It can be just another old car that's been hot-rodded. I really hate following the crowd. 

Part of me wants to restore it. Ground up immaculate. Realistically that's going to be more money than I want to spend. 

Part of me wants to drive it as it sits. The body is pretty straight. It has some rust but not terminal rust. I could throw a blanket over the seats, throw a set of tires on it, and drive it how it sits. Unfortunately, that's also been overdone to death. I might as well paint it flat black with red wheels.  

What will probably happen is something between the three. It will probably be something different. It may be that no one likes it but me. 

The first order of business is seating. The bench seat is trashed. Between the sheer size of the steering wheel and the mounting of the bench seat, no one over 200 pounds can sit in the driver's seat. Even moving the bench back an inch didn't help. The other issue is no one makes upholstery sets for the 4-door car, only for the split bench in the 2-door. While I don't necessarily mind having the seat done professionally that takes time. For now, I have ordered a set of low-back buckets. 

These are from Procar. I came very close to buying the high back but they really look stupid in a falcon. I also came very close to buying red, to stick with the original red and white, but that was too much. The interior is going to end up with tan upholstery. I may leave the painted parts of the doors and the dash red. I think. Maybe. 

1930-2007 All Makes All Models Parts | 815001BE | Procar Pro-90 Reclining  Bucket Seat without Headrest; Left/Driver; Beige Vinyl | Classic Industries

Next up was tires. What is on it is ancient. It still has the OEM 13" wheels. It's super tempting to order a set of wheels and tires as well as a disk brake conversion and make the car completely different. But I didn't. Instead, I ordered a set of 185/70r13 whitewall tires for it. 

There will be more to come. I have a couple of other projects I need to finish first and get out of the way, so it may be a few weeks. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/23 10:54 a.m.

i would 5-lug swap it just to run Magnum 500's

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/25/23 11:07 a.m.

My grandparents had the exact car except it was three on the tree. My 4 tear old self used to marvel at the vacuum wipers that sped up and slowed down. Love it! edit: I vote leave it stock.

Toyman!
9/25/23 11:10 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

That was the first thing that came to mind. Those or a set of Keystone Classics. 

This also appeals to me. 

kevins_falcon_2_by_Chickenoftheland.jpg

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/23 11:22 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Or stick with the 4 lugs and run Magnum 400s.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
9/25/23 11:24 a.m.

When I was in high school, my friend had a beautiful '63 Falcon two door post with four spoke Keystones. It looked really cool.

Four spoke Keystones work better than four spoke Cragars.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/25/23 11:24 a.m.

My Aunt had one of those. It was a 2 door Sprint with an automatic. My Dad ended up working on it a few times.

You could make a vintage Monte Carlo Rally car.

Or build the Holman Moody version...

Toyman!
9/25/23 11:26 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Or stick with the 4 lugs and run Magnum 400s.

I had a set of those on my Pinto in the late 80s. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
9/25/23 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I think the Pinto wheels were steel Rostyles. My sister had them on her Pinto wagon and they were almost identical to the ones one her husband's MGB. 

I think the new Magnum 400s are aluminum. 

anger_enginering
anger_enginering New Reader
9/25/23 11:29 a.m.
Toyman! said:

So where do we go from here?

Part of me wants to strip it down and restomod it. I have a complete 302 in the shop and an offer for a 5-speed. A set of fat wheels and tires and a cool paint job and it would be set. But that's what everyone does. At that point I might as well LS swap it. It can be just another old car that's been hot-rodded. I really hate following the crowd. 

Part of me wants to restore it. Ground up immaculate. Realistically that's going to be more money than I want to spend. 

Part of me wants to drive it as it sits. The body is pretty straight. It has some rust but not terminal rust. I could throw a blanket over the seats, throw a set of tires on it, and drive it how it sits. Unfortunately, that's also been overdone to death. I might as well paint it flat black with red wheels.  

What will probably happen is something between the three. It will probably be something different. It may be that no one likes it but me. 

While it may be viewed as "following the crowd" not going too outrageous on the drivetrain vs. something tried and true can speed up the time you get to enjoy the car. A dependable 302 and 5 speed sure would make for a fun little car while you decide where to go from there on the rest of it

Toyman!
9/25/23 11:45 a.m.

In reply to anger_enginering :

I'll enjoy driving what's in it. Hell, I enjoy driving a tractor.

I have enough fast cars that I don't really need another one and if I throw HP at this, I'll also need to throw brakes and tires at it as well. That's a slippery slope. Tempting though, I do like a 302 screaming its guts out.  

Decision, decisions. 

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/25/23 11:49 a.m.

Keep the six, but bounce it for a 200. The 250 weighs another 75 lbs due to raised deck height and wider pan rails.

See Fordsix.com

My favorite for induction system-

Ain't nuthin that sounds like an inline six @ full song...

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/25/23 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Recon1342: *Frantically smashing the subscribe button*

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
9/25/23 12:24 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to anger_enginering :

I'll enjoy driving what's in it. Hell, I enjoy driving a tractor.

I have enough fast cars that I don't really need another one and if I throw HP at this, I'll also need to throw brakes and tires at it as well. That's a slippery slope. Tempting though, I do like a 302 screaming its guts out.  

Decision, decisions. 

This!   I'm going to vote for cleaning it up and keeping it mostly original if for nothing else but to celebrate the simplicity of it.   Use it for errands and local trips, I'm sure it will be a conversation starter every time you take it out.  Your kids are awesome but you knew that already, looking forward to following this.

Toyman!
9/25/23 12:27 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

After the Bentley, I'm going to enjoy the simplicity of it. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/25/23 3:09 p.m.

In reply to twentyover :

Those dual carbs are impressive!  

As for the Falcon, a little bit wider wheel (same color as car) and tire and some dog dish hubcaps and call it a day.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
9/25/23 4:21 p.m.

I kind of wish I could have started all over again with my Falcon.

Among the things I wouldn't have done again were the Granada spindles.  I should have just gone with a Scarebird brake kit but I thought I wanted 5 lug. Now days I would just bought some nice Konig Rewinds and called it a day

The T5 swap was the single biggest improvement I made. The 3 speed makes the car feel a lot heavier than it really is, the 5 speed made the car so much peppier and improved in town fuel economy a remarkable amount. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/26/23 1:08 p.m.

This could help too.   But it is spendy and not currently available.

VINTAGE INLINES head

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
9/26/23 1:38 p.m.

I wonder what the easiest solution for an automatic trans with O/D would be for the original engine (or something from the same family).  

Agreed with above suggestions of four lug wheels; seems like there's plenty of options with that pattern.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/26/23 1:44 p.m.

Here because I know I will love this story!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/26/23 2:09 p.m.

I am going to vote this engine bay and leave the body alone. White wall tires of course.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/26/23 2:20 p.m.

Isn't there a Ferrari v8 for sale on the forum somewhere?

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
9/26/23 2:30 p.m.

Oh man. I LOVE slow old fords. My third biggest automotive regret is passing on a 2 door wagon falcon a few years back. That body style is one of my all time favorite cars.

My vote for what you should do with it:

enjoy it. Whatever that means for you. A decade long build, running it as is, some GRM nonsense monster project, full concourse restoration... just enjoy it. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/26/23 4:41 p.m.

In reply to twentyover :

This.

Just enough ooomph to show folk you know what's up, but not any more. Hot rod 6s ooze sexy.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
9/26/23 4:50 p.m.

I love vintage Ford project cars on GRM.  I am a bit biased.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ilTgIDq2VsEHrET0TtzI24L4Lcw3gtcV7j67PRNvrvXOtDw8N9SsW7Y87HrLTdOP