1 ... 16 17 18 19
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/11/20 8:21 a.m.

Cool video. Was that a setting sun?  Late in the day runs? 

Interesting and very cool no traffic in front.  I can only take this to mean that you were leading the pack! devil

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 8:31 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

Here's Sunday's last session with the little good luck charm in the passenger seat. This is what it's like running an old Hyundai in the Advanced run group. also best lap on 4 of a 2:13.3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgGQiTe_o6g&feature=youtu.be

Also, by "late in the day" it was 4pm.

11/11/20 9:09 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I watched the whole thing.  Yeah the Camaro and M3 we quick to get past you and gone in the second lap.  What was very cool was to see you gain the Robert's Racing Miata on lap 5 and then hang right there with him for the next 2 laps.  I think you could have passed him (maybe in another lap or 2) but I also get the respect of letting him "teach you" around the course.  Looked to be a great time.   

You mention the car running 75% before puddle.  Are you having heat soak issues?  Is it time for some engine/hood venting for cooling?  Are those shark gills real vents?  Could they be?  How about some hood vents?  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 9:15 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

So that wa Becky driving (YAY!). On the lap I caught them it dropped power so I ran that half lap at 60% of my previous speed until the power came back and then was right there. I could have passed many times (except on the straights, I just ain't got that Power to Weight). But it was a lot more fun watching her get faster with each lap.

We've been having the discussion on this. The new code may shed some light on this if it is the MAF. But heat soak seems highly likely. There's a lot of heat creating things in a very small area. AC compressor, headers (no heat shields), Coolant hoses all surrounding the coils. 

This isn't a problem for OLoA, as it's a warmup, then standing start with 3 laps and a cooldown. She's perfect for that. But runnign a full GLTC session for 20 minutes flat out (thats how I drive) isn't going to work. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/11/20 9:27 a.m.

I got a ride in Tubey. It doesn't suck. 

Kid#3 rode right seat for as session too. "How did he do?" "He's hesitant on the brakes." This from someone who's never driven a car. So there may be work to do there. laugh

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 9:29 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Can I start calling her Captain Obvious now? Also, I had your awesome offspring in the car, I didn't want to cause her death or dismemberment by being too stupid. 

11/11/20 9:40 a.m.

Re: Becky driving.    Lets not let the facts get in the way of a good story.  The video shows that you could have passed the Miata!!  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 9:50 a.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

Re: Becky driving.    Lets not let the facts get in the way of a good story.  The video shows that you could have passed the Miata!!  

The truth has no relevance here!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/20 10:24 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I got a ride in Tubey. It doesn't suck. 

Kid#3 rode right seat for as session too. "How did he do?" "He's hesitant on the brakes." This from someone who's never driven a car. So there may be work to do there. laugh

I'd say she's ready to start doing track day instruction any day now. :-)

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

and she is very diplomatic. When I asked how bad I screwed it up, her reply was a non-comital "well cars and bikes are different so I don't think its helpful because cars do things differently." Basically young lawyer speak for "you kinda suck but I'm not going to be the one to tell you that." I both appreciate that and cry a little inside every time I think on it. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/19/20 10:24 a.m.

Parts cannon shot at the car now. P1166/1167 come up as likely O2 or MAF issue. Replacing both. Both are old as the car. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/12/21 7:10 a.m.

OK, time to update. May is rapidly approaching. I'm doing the co-driver shuffle but still prepping as if everything is a go. Fresh set of rotors, Hawk Blues and a new pair of Timken rear wheel bearings ordered. Car is mostly parked right now, but as soon as I get a couple other projects off the plate is going up on stands to tear apart and prep For One Lap.

So, will this be the first challenge car to complete One Lap? Lets hope so. 

The code issues and drivability issues ended up being a bad FPR. Leaked down into cylinder 6 under vacuum causing all manner of wierd issues. FPR swapped and the ECU reset. Back to normal. 

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
2/12/21 7:44 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Will you be swapping Hawk Blues onto the car at each track or are they capable of doing the transit portion of the event knowing they will have some rotor wear but should certainly last the duration of the event?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/12/21 8:02 a.m.

In reply to fusion66 :

They're fine on the street.... -ish. They are very aggressive and street driving requires a little softer foot on the brake or people behind you get a rude awakening. In fact, I am still on them from NOLA. They work like "normal" brakes at 10* for the first couple stops. I know this is definitely not their ideal temp range but I've been really lazy about switching back. The current set of pads are about 2500 miles, 4 track days(@ 5 20 minute sessions/day) and 4 sessions at NOLA. Because the fronts are so big compared to stock, I don't think they get over worked like the stock size would.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
2/12/21 8:24 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

That's good to hear. I started to look at pad options for my car which will only be used for track days (Gingerman, Mid-Ohio, ??) and local autocross and avoiding the need to swap pads at the expense of some extra wear and more aggressive braking when warmed up seems reasonable. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/12/21 8:27 a.m.

I'll be honest, they are a bit much for auto-x. Again, it just may be this car and thefact that I've gotten a little silly in brake sizing and pad compound but I would find myself way overslowing or overwhelming the tires faster than I ever had. But, I have never had any form of brake fade or overheating. 

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
2/12/21 9:35 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Understood that Hawk Blue's are not an autocross pad and that compromises will be made if I opt to be lazy :)

Looking at pad options in general but I would prefer to suffer from poor modulation when auto crossing versus fade on the track if a compromise is made. 

Thank you for the additional insight.

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/12/21 9:38 a.m.

You guys use the brakes during autoX?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/12/21 9:58 a.m.

In reply to gumby (Forum Supporter) :

Slow with the wheel, turn with the gas. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/12/21 10:03 a.m.
gumby (Forum Supporter) said:

You guys use the brakes during autoX?

depends on the car. The wife's old Accent with all 90hp no. Mike Youngs Camaro SS yes.... a lot

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/8/21 6:43 a.m.

Finally gave it a bath. 

and I liked this shot of it, showing the reflection of its replacement in the door 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/8/21 3:18 p.m.
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/8/21 7:18 p.m.

And she's gone. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/21 8:45 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Im not surprised that it sold quickly.  Was it a kid buyer?  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/21 4:37 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

They were younger. 

1 ... 16 17 18 19

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s2pFQu9VuXphRGHBjRLyr4JxeccBHQ1dWtOPcgIXack71H6qQDgPuz35qTsbrnYu