1 ... 3 4 5
chuckwagon
chuckwagon New Reader
7/20/23 10:44 p.m.

I'm kind of wrestling with it getting warm still! I ended up re-plumbing the steam port to the upper rad hose using an adapter, rebleeding several times, resetting the fans to a lower temp, still not much luck. I'm going to pull the thermostat next and see how cool it runs like that I think. 

garaithon
garaithon Reader
7/21/23 11:24 a.m.

In reply to chuckwagon :

Yea I felt like the radiator may need replaced as well. It is still the original and may just be somewhat plugged. It has a factory 192• tstat. 

chuckwagon
chuckwagon New Reader
7/26/23 10:51 p.m.

It's been a productive few days on the ol whale! I kept trying to bleed out the cooling system but it would not stay cool. I finally gave up and pulled the thermostat again and popped some holes in it (and one in my finger sad). Put it all back together and success! It was running cool! Too cool in fact! 170 down the highway. With that information I decided to get a new thermostat. Parts store had a 160 degree thermostat vs the factree 192 stat. Put that in and now shes perfect. Idles at 208 and goes down the highway in the 190's. 

I also got a little silly. I've always wanted a beer tap shift knob, so I grabbed a fabbot short throw for the AR5, ruined the short throw with a 10 inch extension and then topped with an adapter and a cool beer tap! I can always pull the adapter and put a regular ball on it if I get tired of the length. I think next up in the saga is some gears, the stock 2.56's aren't doing it for me, I'm thinking some 4.10's with a posi will spice things up! 

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/27/23 9:45 p.m.

In reply to chuckwagon :

I bet the 4.10s would make a big difference. Also ............turbo? 

garaithon
garaithon Reader
7/27/23 10:09 p.m.

In reply to chuckwagon :

I have been searching for the perfect beer tap to use as a shift knob for years! You would think many would be round, almost all are square it seems. 

I like where this is going! 

chuckwagon
chuckwagon New Reader
7/28/23 8:50 p.m.

So as for power adders, I'm actually thinking nitrous! But that's probably a ways in the future still. I've got a Mercury Zephyr I'm building to be my turbo LS car, and by building I mean I have a shelf and a half full of parts, a motor on a stand, and a roller... I need to stop getting distracted and work on that more. 

chuckwagon
chuckwagon New Reader
8/5/23 1:32 a.m.

Well if anyone wondered how the whale would do in the quarter mile now you know! Definetly need to get them gears done! Plus some bonus pics of her through my new toy

chuckwagon
chuckwagon New Reader
10/12/23 7:32 p.m.

It's been a minute since I've been able to drive the whale, life has been crazy lately. Finally got 3.73's and got her out to the strip again. Definitely happy with the performance! 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/24/24 4:00 p.m.

You selling it already?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/24/24 4:34 p.m.

In reply to chuckwagon :

Huh, 15.4 is what mine ran on stock 2.56 gears and mostly stock LT1 engine. 

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xCNBhatT1aT2z2ROJdyefKmX8MM4ElSvJVjV7Al2n3VdLYH1Xr1b0x2qs4yoYIBk