1 2 3
02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
8/29/24 11:56 a.m.

In reply to maximumunicorn :

Where are you located? I know you're looking at a car in VT, so clearly you're in the Northeast somewhere. I bought my 128i out of Manchester, VT, but I'm a couple hours south. If you make it down near the northern NY Metro area, let me know and you can check it out. But I don't think it's going to be what you're looking for.

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
8/29/24 12:54 p.m.

Consider, perhaps the Cobalt SS. Ecotec turbo, 260 bhp, 2 or 4 door versions.

maximumunicorn
maximumunicorn GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/29/24 3:23 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I'm up in northern VT by Burlington. I really appreciate the offer, and I will certainly let you know if I'm down that direction.  

It is a bit difficult looking for cars here.  There aren't many cars for sale and those that are around tend to be rusty (and not any cheaper than anywhere else in the country). 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/10/24 1:11 p.m.

Came across this thread a bit late. I'll echo the suggestion to find an E30. They do pretty much everything a 2002 does, only a bit better in all areas. I've had a 318is for many years and I'm not a huge fan of the M42/M44 engines. They don't rev the way you expect a twin-cam four banger to do. I'd stick with the M20 engine if I had a choice. E30 coupes have gotten expensive, but you can sometimes find 4-doors for reasonable money.

For other cars that feel like modern day 2002s, I'd look at the first generation Dodge Neon. The Sentra SE-R is a great idea. Just about any French car from the '80s or early '90s is fantastic: I've had a Peugeot 405 Mi16 and it honestly feels like a 4-door E30 M3. I've driven 205s and 105s and they're all awesome. Same for Citroen hatchbacks from that era. A buddy here in NJ had a Renault 5 GT Turbo that he paid $9k for ... it was cool as hell.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VZolm9VsrHQrGrMD81Bqj20z67vdu46uJb2l2PwbzSn0zGGl1p5iq4qWks1X81yw