1 2
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
4/7/19 4:37 p.m.

How much is Petrol now ?

I have not been to the UK in years , last time was driving my friend's Sprinter van to Beaulieu

ep16
ep16 New Reader
4/8/19 12:50 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

How much is Petrol now ?

I have not been to the UK in years , last time was driving my friend's Sprinter van to Beaulieu

£1.25 per litre at the minute for regular 95 RON, which puts premium 97/99 RON (which I always use) at about £1.33.

1 US Gallon is 3.78 litres so I am paying £5.00 ($6.50) per gallon of V Power etc and £75 ($100) to fill the Camaro (15.5 US Gal) from empty.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
4/8/19 8:24 p.m.

Are you paying a high engine displacement tax?

ep16
ep16 New Reader
4/9/19 1:39 a.m.
GCrites80s said:

Are you paying a high engine displacement tax?

Yes, but it is sounds worse than it actually is.

If the car is older than a rolling 40 years (so 1st March 1979 currently) then road tax is free.

If the car is not 40 years old but was first registered before 1st March 2001 then it is £160 up to 1549cc or £265 above that which is what the Camaro falls under.

Cars first registered after 1st March 2001 are taxed on a sliding scale based on CO2 emissions. My mate had a Mazda RX8 which obviously fell under this category and it cost him £485 per year just in tax to keep on the road. My old 1.7 125 bhp Ford Puma which fell into this category cost £230 to tax for reference.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/19 8:36 a.m.

In reply to ep16 :

dang, that car is really clean!  i hope it treats you well.

ep16
ep16 New Reader
4/9/19 2:13 p.m.

Still wary of the fuel gauge accuracy as we are only a few weeks in, so I filled up today with the gauge showing roughly a third of a tank left.

I worked out what MPG this thing is doing compared to the 17 or 18 I got out of the Ranchero and astonishingly it came back at 31MPG (26 in American)!!! Considering I have not even thought about attempting an economy run and it has a  5l V8, to get within 5 or 6 MPG of my old 1.7 Puma is pretty impressive.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/9/19 2:20 p.m.

26 is fantastic! Really, anything iver 21 in a tbi v8 chevy is doing really really well in my experience. 

Hows parts supply over there? My ASSumption would be that you have to import everything except spark plugs, but i really dont know.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/10/19 11:09 a.m.

I regularly get 23-25 in mine during hiway trips. 

ep16
ep16 New Reader
4/10/19 12:44 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

26 is fantastic! Really, anything iver 21 in a tbi v8 chevy is doing really really well in my experience. 

Hows parts supply over there? My ASSumption would be that you have to import everything except spark plugs, but i really dont know.

Yep, import everything. As long as you can foresee any issues, it is fine. The bonus is that comparatively speaking, parts in the US are staggeringly cheap vs equivalents here

Although not so good now, the exchange rate helps as well.

The big curve ball is the import duty lottery. If you get hauled up on it you basically have to pay 20% VAT on the parts and shipping combined and then 5% import duty on the whole lot including the VAT. Even if you have to pay it then the parts including shipping are no more expensive than for a domestic vehicle

ep16
ep16 New Reader
4/10/19 4:33 p.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

I regularly get 23-25 in mine during hiway trips. 

Good to know mine if not running on hopes and dreams then haha.

My commute is 19 miles each way in the opposite direction to the traffic so only takes 24-25 minutes and is mainly dual carriageway which explains alot. That said, I do drive everything pretty much flat out everywhere when I am by myself so to get 26 was a bit of a shock.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
4/10/19 10:12 p.m.

5-speed 3rd Gens with stock rearend gears positively loaf on the freeway on that mountain of torque. I haven't gotten a chance to measure MPG on my 350 TPI IROC since I swapped in the T-56 but it is at 1600 RPM in 6th at 65-70 mph with a 3.27 rear. You can't lug a new car since they run too lean and hot. I do want to lean the tune since the stock ones are rich. That will improve MPG even more.

ep16
ep16 New Reader
4/28/19 3:36 p.m.

One advantage of working back-to-back Saturdays (both weeks supposedly been only for days long due to Easter public holidays no-less....grrrr)  is getting up 45 minutes earlier than strictly necessary and taking the least direct drive in you can possibly imagine with the rule of no motorways or dual carriageways allowed. It was great fun taking advantage of the 8am on a Saturday morning quiet roads by making a racket through sleepy Sussex villages, stretching the old girls legs down some great roads and lanes and being sure to heel-and-toe every down shift along the way.

Managed to get up to get up to the top of Devils Dyke for some photos last week turning a 5.4mile drive from the Better Half's place into a 19.3mile one:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9PsEqAngZmKGvEsnm71Bk1KWIHli6T92PLKIxTDgWRnU8Ddgq1SCheH4G2Lf9h0b