dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/15/23 12:55 p.m.

Or I think of ways it could.

So it started with an 04 Touareg bought the whole parts vehicle mainly for the trailer hitch. Wanted to cut the roof off. Still have it. 

Then came the blue Boxster, running and driving but every panel damaged, no windshield (frame badly crushed). Now engine sold and replaced with a cleaner shell. But still have it and kinda want to make some monstrosity of it to piss off purists. 

Picking up today a New Beetle with the original plan of using the 1.8t in the new Boxster and selling off the rest. But even now my mind is thinking of eBay clutch kits and cleaning it up to be a daily driver. 

Logistically I should really just get the parts I need out of the three vehicles, sell/scrap the rest. But my mind is continually thinking, what if I did this with it. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/23 1:00 p.m.

It's called auto ADHD. 

Most of us have it. 

There is no cure except being so broke you can't afford to buy anything to begin with. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/15/23 1:09 p.m.

I thought you meant like you go to replace the rubber washer on the outside faucet but the seat is worn so the new washer leaks.  

Next thing is your cutting a piece of aluminum diamond plate cause the mortar isn't strong where the new faucet screws hit.  

Ten minutes becomes a two hour project. 

dan0
8/15/23 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Well that sort of thing happens too. 

dan0
8/15/23 8:01 p.m.

You jinxed me Datsun. 

First off U-Haul's reservation for tow dolly (and auto transports) has been ridiculous the last few days. I can usually search a couple days out and get something at my local preferred place. No such luck. Shows one place with availability out of 15. 

Had a plan to do a marathon of work and picking up a tow dolly and the New Beetle tomorrow.

Ended up raining more than expected and left work early today. Great maybe I can get the car today. Check U-Haul site and one is available. But since I had a reservation already I figured I'd try calling the corporate numbed to change the reservation day and location. She says on the phone nope that place doesn't have one. Ok, can I pick up the dolly I had reserved for tomorrow (7am pickup), nope that shows not available. Wait but it would be available tomorrow? She transfers me to "scheduling" but while waiting on hold I make a same day reservation on the website for the more local place. Hang up. Then call the local place direct. Yes they have one. Great. 

Finish driving home, get a nice lunch on the way back. Get stuff together for driving out. Fill up the tank on the way to U-Haul. Rental paperwork goes smoothly. Hooked up, test lights. Bam! No lights. 

I'm towing with a first generation VW Touareg. Trailer lights have their own control module. They were known to freak out with LED lights, not that they looked like LED on the dolly. All the small lights on their tester just blink, when plugged in. 

Start home dejected. Stop at Walmart and grab 7 to 4 pin adapter in case that was it.  Message seller again. Sorry no pickup today or tomorrow now. Scan with VCDS, no faults in the trailer module. Ordered another adapter with LED light resistor. Also a set of magnetic lights to test with for $19 instead of the $52 a set at Walmart costs. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/23 8:05 p.m.

In reply to dan0 :

Whatever you do don't buy your own trailer.  It just makes it way too easy.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/15/23 8:49 p.m.

Shared CT GRMrs trailer?

I just flipped a big ass utility trailer, and there is a good chance I'll trade up to a smallish car trailer at some point...

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/15/23 8:54 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to dan0 :

Been there. Done that.

It's sitting there. Right along side the house.

Waiting.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/23 8:56 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to dan0 :

That's why I ended up selling my car trailer.

Of course I'm now shopping for a motorcycle trailer...

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/15/23 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

That's what I thought he meant too.  This was actually filmed at my house:

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/15/23 9:18 p.m.

In reply to dan0 :

I'm got a random question for you:

Do your Touareg(s) use a FRAM CA10236 / STP SA10236 air filter?
I went shopping down the aisles of Autozone yesterday looking for a filter for my MGB build and happened to pick up this filter which is apparently for a V10 '04 Touareg (among other applications). If this is the same filter, any chance you have a spare air box I could use as reference? 

dan0
8/15/23 9:33 p.m.

In reply to Nukem :

Looked up on Autozone and it shows the same filter fitting my 04 V8 as well as the V10 TDI. They have two air boxes. I have/had two parts Touaregs so somewhere I have them. Which side would work best for your application? I'll post up a picture tomorrow. 

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/15/23 9:40 p.m.

Do both the V10 TDI and the V8 use two of these enormous filters? Sounds very VAG. If they look like this, I don't think passenger side / drivers side would matter.

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
8/15/23 9:44 p.m.

I bought a trailer last year, but it's a light duty trailer designed for race cars under 2500 lbs. So from now on I can only buy race cars. you can imagine how thrilled my wife is.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/15/23 10:11 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

That was awesome!

Mrfurzzy
Mrfurzzy New Reader
8/16/23 5:26 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I got a car trailer last November. I've used it to pickup 7 cars so far. All of which I wouldn't have been able to get it if I didn't have a trailer. I think my wife is starting to regret letting me get it

dan0
8/16/23 6:37 a.m.

I think a trailer would help me get rid of some stuff too. Not relying on renting to drop something off. 

I cut apart a Touareg last year then rented a U-Haul to take the scrap away. I would have rather just pulled the empty shell onto a trailer and dropped it off that way. 

dan0
8/16/23 5:38 p.m.

Got home today. 
Amazon magnetic lights showed up. Plugged them in. 
Worked perfectly. 
berkeley U-Haul. 

THIS is why I want my own trailer. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xk2GUisaEIqna4KS1xEDoTnulp5CSq197VdEv5KuxfIHPX1aDaDdItIDau39Bobz