jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
8/14/22 11:53 p.m.

Not quite two years ago I did the correct thing and sold on a car.  It was a 1995, NA Miata that I had spent the time and effort to run in our local SCCA group prepared to an E Street level.  My last full year driving the car I did win a jacket on a local basis.  But It took driving 5 cars during the year.  The car was fun and built to the limit, against what I could see as the coming wave of MB Miatas and Toyota MR2 Spiders that had more of what my car lacked.  That and Dennis can really drive, so I did the right thing and sold my car.  The proceeds have been used to build my Datusn Roadster, that will never be....a Miata.

The Miata was purchased by a friend, he was looking for a car that he could enjoy on the street and someday start competing in the events I found so entertaining.  But it never worked out for him to compete with the car.   The alignment I had left the car with had reduced both sets of tires I had provided from the sale to completely used up.  He did learn about flipping tires and having camber does have consequences.  Today the car has a fresh set of tires, an alignment that is conducive to extended tire life and I have the car back.

The temporary owner is a car guy.  He has a 1974 Porsche 911 S that he is rebuilding and he can wrench.  But he started to do track events, with cars that have PDK transmissions and the Miata was not getting any use.  Yesterday I caught an afternoon flight and early this morning I left the San Jose area driving south, with the Miata.  With among other things the box of spares that I had left with him.  The car averaged just over 30 mpg, yes it still consumes oil,  I expect that with how the motor was built, more on that later.

But, on a local basis the NA Miata's now run in a Historic Class,  The brakes will stop the car.  The kids now have a car that they can start and learn to autocrss cross in. And the car is built, ready to go. Pictures, to follow.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
8/15/22 6:15 p.m.

I have never repurchased a car.  Never.  No, when I move on from a car it is done.   The usual scenario is they are driven to the point of total and complete use.  The expression of leaving nothing in the tank has been the norm.  Years ago a donated car had some value to write off on your tax return and I took advantage. Now they send the voucher. But with this car the timing of its departure coincided with a Datsun Roadster that I wanted, more.  The Datsun lived down the street in a garage, was complete but not running and my NA was no longer competitive. So... 

The very short story,  the Datsun will be fun to drive but will not work for what the excuse used to refresh it.  Nope, it will never be a Miata.   A reintroduction then.

As a review, in no particular order:  The engine has been rebuilt. The pilot bearing, of all things, had frozen and at 135,000 miles the clutch was going to be changed  and on a fluke the oil pan was removed.  The slop of a rod led to checking a bearing. Resulting in a fresh motor.

The adjustable Koni's replaced the KYB's that everyone said will be fine. After less than 500 miles.  It has the big front bar, that everyone said was too big.  The cat back exhaust is truly lighter and yes is louder.  I turn up the radio.  But I still have the jacket.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
8/15/22 6:47 p.m.

During it's time in Northern California the car was driven.  The Skyline area is a know series of twisty roads that has taken out numerous cars, but not this one.  As a training platform it earned its keep staying out of trouble and has been superseded by some very nice upgrades.  Completed maintenance included a clutch master and slave cylinder, these were both done at the time of the engine rebuild so I will keep an eye on them going forward.  And the battery was replaced.  During my time with the car it consumed two batteries, again I will keep an eye on this.

The aggressive front end alignment has been dialed out and probably the last set of 205/50/15 Bridgestone RE 71 that could be sourced are on the car.  But the one thing the car did did not bother me, was a rattle and the occasional noise.  Nope, that was not going to be tolerated.  So they were fixed, or in the case of the cat back exhaust, almost.  But that leads me to the "binical" or the hood around the cage cluster. It is no longer a noise issue, because he removed it. 

A mounting tab that should be a molded part of the dash assembly, is gone,

I am not sure of my next step.  It does make back dating the oil pressures gage on the center of the cluster a non issue. But I will have to do something.

Any one have a dash that needs a home? 

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
8/15/22 8:41 p.m.

I just found Moss Miata. The dash hood is no longer an issue. 

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
9/10/22 7:53 p.m.

The dash is not fixed, yet.  But there is an event on Sunday and I will be driving!  On a local basis the Miata NA is eligible for the Historic class.  Historic 2, for cars from 1980.  We have two cars and three drivers, so far.  The kids no longer have the junior kart program and now they have their permits.  We also have a novice class that they can spend the next year, through 2023, to continue learning.

So, we will have two cars and five drivers.  So far.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/22 8:01 p.m.

I don't know how I missed this.  That's cool getting your old car back.  I admit I'm like you in that I usually run them into the ground.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
9/11/22 6:56 p.m.

Todays results will not include a win for me.  Both of the other drivers had faster times.  We have a four run format. with applicable reruns for any number of reasons.  That include cones out of position on the course.

I, only drove four timed laps.  It will only get better for me with time in the car, I'm grateful I am as close as I am.  With only four laps I will be very competitive.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
10/23/22 9:38 p.m.

Ok,a reality check.  This Miata has 165,000 miles.  The motor was refreshed and the clutch is new.  The ticking lifter is not curing itself, a fix for that will be addressed.  Now the weather is starting to turn and the Bridgestone RE-71's are not a DD option.  So, not selling on the stock 14"rims when I sold the car gives me an option.  But I might not be a normal consumer, I live in a community that does get snow and I do not assume tires are going to last.

Firestone Winterforce snow tires are a known option that I have used in the past.  Both the old style no longer produced and the new more traditional model.  They do not list the rating of these tires but on my car they should work great.  Now what size?  The recommenced 185/60 14 were not going to cut it, I went with the 185/65 14. A taller tire, marginally taller, will have a number of positive benefits. Getting a call from the Tire Rack asking me if I was sure about my order was not what I was expecting.

They were doing their job.  My order confirmed, the tires were shipped. No, driving in snow is not going to happen.  Unless I get caught in an unexpected flurry on the drive home.  Cables for the car will be in the trunk,  one must be prepared.

Before the change.

These are the lighter, hollow back rims.  The car does have a LSD and the springs are the stock NA items.

Ready to go.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tcUA9xUqiWbGzoc6PkAPRpgKQ7bguTGPSxRz7yVszpeQhA9drNphLGQ7uR4QdnZ8