1 2
rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/6/22 2:51 p.m.

Literally a VW powered '71 911 replica. Gotta be seen to be believed.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/brentwood-porsche-911-replica/7454449613.html

Looks to me you're buying a 911 shell for RaceCar or something like that. I cannot imagine driving that around with the VW motor hammering along with the usual Beetle sounds. And amazing 65HP...

Pitchers if the ad goes away:

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
3/6/22 2:59 p.m.

The 912 was a vw 4 cylinder in a 911 shell.  This isn't as odd as you'd think, and a stock 912 brings good money

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/6/22 3:54 p.m.

Might have been stolen and re-vin to the engine donor.

I'd want more details on the "custom frame", but the price doesn't seem too outlandish to me. 

Also, nice Miata seats. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/22 4:59 p.m.

IIRC someone at some point made a pretty decent replicat of a 911 body. This might be one of them as some of the details in the photos above don't quite look right for an actual 911. For example that shifter is VW Bug, not early-ish 911. Also, some of the bodywork in the engine picture doesn't quite look right to me - looks almost like a somewhat unfinished fiberglass copy.

Body is also a short hood (G-Model), but it could also be a leftover from the 80s/90s craze of "forward dating" longhoods. A '71 body it definitely isn't, but there might be bits of '71 Bug under there.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/6/22 5:35 p.m.

Covin is who built the replicas.

Foodeater
Foodeater New Reader
3/6/22 5:50 p.m.

If it is a VW underneath, you could make a pretty awesome safari style "911" with relatively cheap and readily available offroad parts. Then swap in a turbo Subaru motor.

if it was in NY I'd check it out

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/22 6:02 p.m.
chandler said:

Covin is who built the replicas.

Yes, Covin. There seem to be more of them in England.

It's hard to believe that there was ever a market for these things. The kit car thing happened a long time ago, and 912s were still cheap back then. At least with a 912 you had something real, and a car that you could drop a flat six from a wrecked 911 into when you could afford it.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
3/6/22 6:57 p.m.
Foodeater said:

If it is a VW underneath, you could make a pretty awesome safari style "911" with relatively cheap and readily available offroad parts. Then swap in a turbo Subaru motor.

This is what I'd do with it. Full Baja suspension under a faux911 body.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
3/6/22 7:24 p.m.

We bought a couple Covins, probably early 90s ,

Terrible quality and  delivery times never kept .

We had a company that was going to buy them for island rentals , After they saw the first one they canceled the order.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/6/22 9:42 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

The 912 was a vw 4 cylinder in a 911 shell.  This isn't as odd as you'd think, and a stock 912 brings good money

The first edition 912 had a real Porsche engine that came from the previous 356 IIRC.  The 912E used the Type 4 2.0l VW engine, which isn't all that odd since the 912E was a joint venture between Porsche and VW as a replacement for the 914, also and collaboration.  You used to be able to buy a 912 quite affordably.  Not any more.  

Renvie
Renvie New Reader
7/25/23 1:45 a.m.

Nice, My car is famous. Not a covin, Im pretty sure it was a panzer kit. Found a few for sale here and there. "Custom frame" is just a reinforced vw floorpan with 1" by 1" square tubing. The engine wasn't 65hp. The previous guy built it with racing in mind so he put a larger motor. Butt dyno says in the range of 110hp. It had upgraded suspension front and back as well as disk brake conversion. Unfortunately the car was built without any structural reinforcements in the roof or the sides so the only thing that was holding it together was a bunch of rotten fiberglass since the car sat in the desert for a very long time. Anyhow, I got a c2 corvette and got rid of this car. Although I did state that this is a kit car, they guys who bought it from me decided not to be as honest when trying to flip it as a real Porsche 911. Some "Dreamer" bought it sight unseen and when realizing he got scammed, tried to make his money back by throwing it for sale at around 27k. I spoke to him a while ago, he said that some engine work and brake work was done  but nobody was willing to buy the car and he took the post down. Since then I bought a real 1972 porsche 911 and moved on from kit cars. 

Docwemple
Docwemple HalfDork
7/25/23 5:10 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

Detuned 356sc engine producing 90 bhp. It had a 3 piece case. Late 356 engines look like VW engines but they certainly aren't.  I've rebuilt both.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
7/25/23 5:57 p.m.

Renvie that is a crazy story! Bummer someone got scammed.

The idea of a reproduction 911 body is a pretty good one with what prices of real ones are.  I just believe it deserves a better chassis and drivetrain.  Maybe a tube chassis with a Subie drivtrain?

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
7/25/23 8:56 p.m.

There's a group in Miami making 911 bodies that bolt onto VW bug pans.

Currently the price is around $5K I think.

eurotechms
eurotechms New Reader
7/26/23 12:11 p.m.

I'll use these photos for the WTB Porsche flippers I troll. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/29/23 3:14 p.m.
eurotechms said:

I'll use these photos for the WTB Porsche flippers I troll. 

The hero we need.

StevenF
StevenF New Reader
8/21/23 10:58 a.m.

In reply to ToManyProjects :

Hello,

Do you happen to know the name of the group in Miami that is making those 911 bodies that bolt on the VW Pans?

Thank you in advance,

Steven 

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma Reader
8/21/23 7:38 p.m.

In reply to StevenF :

You a Narc?

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
8/21/23 9:20 p.m.
StevenF said:

Hello,

Do you happen to know the name of the group in Miami that is making those 911 bodies that bolt on the VW Pans?

Thank you in advance,

Steven 

Sorry, no idea their name. I've just seen some advertisements here and there, I couldn't find one right now, but if I run across the ad again, I'll link it.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/22/23 8:10 a.m.

Sold I think, what did they want for it?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/23 9:46 a.m.
ExcessKuma said:

In reply to StevenF :

You a Narc?

Steven*

*totally not from a law firm in Stuttgart

StevenF
StevenF New Reader
8/23/23 11:08 a.m.

No, I'm not a cop & Why would your first inclination be to think I'm a cop. We're on a car builder forum page?

I saw this post a week or so ago. I couldn't find the name of the company that was manufacturing them or that was offering it for sale.

StevenF
StevenF New Reader
8/23/23 11:10 a.m.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

StevenF
StevenF New Reader
8/23/23 11:39 a.m.

In reply to ExcessKuma :

Are you a Car thief?  You have a guilty conscience. But, since you asked, You have done something moderately illegal.  This A major criminal would never thinking of asking such a question. But a minor, petty criminal would, one of the most common variety.

Then, there is your reference for a cop as a " Narc" is telling in and of itself. You're definitely involved in something criminal using an archaic such as that. 

This is what lead to  a guilty conscience. You enjoy your upcoming all-inclusive vacation stay at your state's finest correctional facility!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d1IyWYUaO3h3EbbzpOakrnI0zWPi8ogzzGom5SB0QuPepQK4OoLutfw3Vtb61eJ7