1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/17/14 11:41 p.m.

As mentioned in my "where to advertise a rare car", I've decided to put my 1986 CRX Si up for sale. I don't use it that much anymore and it deserves better than to be parked outside here for another winter.

161k, I'm supposedly the third owner, was bought new in Texas (dealer sticker still on the car), lived out in Fallon NV for a long time. Typical Southwestern car issues (dry/shrunk rubber), paint on the hood is faded and has been polished through to the primer in one corner. I've had the timing belt changed and changed out the shocks.

Known issues:

• a/c compressor works but is rattleing. I don't think it's long for this world
  • Rear window wiper and washer jet not working
  • Clunking noise from the passenger side rear shock as I reused the top mounting rubbers and they have a little play
  • The front rubber lip is missing
  • It has a little rust in the bottom corners of the windshield frame
  • Err. That's it.

Car comes with two uncut door cards, rear speaker mounts and covers, replacement front disks, pads and calipers.

Car is in Carson City, NV. If you want to do a fly&drive, I'm happy to pick you up from the airport in Reno, NV.

I'd like to get around $5k out of the car, but would be open to offers of interesting RWD cars with cash either way. May also consider a classic non-cruiser motorcycle.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/14 6:15 a.m.

I miss those cars...

markwemple
markwemple New Reader
8/18/14 9:03 a.m.

I had a friend who bought one new in 87. Loved that car. Wish I had the space and $$ for it. Best of luck with the sale. Rare to find one like this.

BoxheadTim
8/19/14 10:22 a.m.

Looks like it's made BaT, woot!

Anyway, some better photos of the rust in the bottom corners of the windshield. I've had the car for a bit more than 18 months and the rust has not got any worse.

BoxheadTim
8/21/14 3:28 p.m.

Anybody? Bueller?

cchs79
cchs79
8/22/14 8:31 a.m.

Trade for a BMW K1200S motorcycle?

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/22/14 9:09 a.m.

Damn that's clean. Beautiful car best of luck selling it

cchs79
cchs79 New Reader
8/22/14 9:14 a.m.

If you are interested in a trade for the BMW K1200S motorcycle, I can be reached at mastengregory24@hotmail.com

Thanks

BoxheadTim
8/22/14 9:44 a.m.

@cchs79, you should have an email.

BoxheadTim
8/31/14 10:40 p.m.

Now on the bay of e: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121425494826

BoxheadTim
9/8/14 9:29 a.m.

So much for attempting to sell the car then. At the price it made on ebay (it didn't meet reserve) I'd rather keep the thing.

If anybody needs me, I'm off hunting for more parts.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
9/8/14 10:38 a.m.

I'm surprised it didn't go higher, but it has a couple of dings - One, it's a 1G and not a 2G. Just fewer folks hunting the 1G. The other is that it's not perfect. The ones that get crazy money are the ones that could have rolled off of a showroom floor.

Glass the fenders and fascia, repair the rust, respray the whole thing with a quality respray, new rubber where needed, install the stock door cards and ditch the aftermarket stereo stuff and you should be one of those in the $5k+ arena.

BoxheadTim
9/8/14 11:58 a.m.

Yep, spending at least $7k to make it a $5k car . In a sense that's probably going to be the plan, but if I end up doing that, I'll do it for myself.

There were several people who were interested and who wanted the car as a first car for their son/daughter who's about to get a driving license. They seemed to have been taken aback by me not willing to give them a discount...

BoxheadTim
10/26/14 8:42 p.m.

Right, after I decided that I wasn't going to sell it, the arrival of Porky the 996 (very punny, I know) has prompted me to look at our fleet again and decided that I've got to get rid of a couple of road cars.

First on the block is the CRX. It'll go back on fleabay next Thursday but if a GRMer wants to shoot me an offer before then, I'd certainly listen. As before, I'm willing to entertain trades for any of the following:

• BMW touring bikes, like a K1100LT, R75/5 or similar
  • Early Goldwing (GL1000) in decent shape
  • Other non-cruiser touring bikes
  • Race cars, like a Spec 7 or something. Maybe even an FV, but I'd prefer one that I can bolt a second seat for an instructor in
  • Even though I said I needed to reduce the number of road cars we own, I will very much consider a swap for a 1st gen manual transmission Insight
  • Of course I'll gladly trade it for some green folding paper. Feel free to shoot me an offer that might look lowball, worst thing I can say is no
BoxheadTim
11/2/14 12:02 p.m.

Anybody? Bueller?

parallax_ca
parallax_ca New Reader
12/22/14 7:24 a.m.

did you sell?

gord

parallax@vianet.ca

BoxheadTim
12/22/14 12:25 p.m.

Nope, still have it. Emailed you.

BoxheadTim
1/4/15 7:09 p.m.

Bump. Still for sale, and I'm getting more serious about selling it.

Will also consider trading it for an EF/EG hatch (or later 90s Honda hatch) provided I can fit in it with a helmet on.

BoxheadTim
2/1/15 10:43 p.m.

Now on ebay. Again.

If you're the winning bidder and saw the link on here, please let me know and I'll throw in an OEM Honda shop manual for it.

BoxheadTim
2/21/15 12:14 p.m.

Bump again before it goes back on ebay.

I'll take $2600 from a GRMer, it's advertised locally for more than that but I'd rather deal with a GRMer than the usual Honda buyers.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
2/21/15 2:29 p.m.

$2600 sweet jesu!

What a great deal on a fantastic car.

markwemple
markwemple HalfDork
2/21/15 6:35 p.m.

Did it sell on ebay? 2600 seems cheap for your car considering what they go for around here.

BoxheadTim
2/21/15 6:36 p.m.

It did sell on ebay for a little more but the bidder has gone AWOL and now has a non-paying bidder strike for his troubles.

Unfortunately I still have the car and seem to be fairly unable to find a buyer for it...

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/21/15 9:02 p.m.

$1k to get it shipped back to IL. Damn

markwemple
markwemple HalfDork
2/22/15 8:42 a.m.

Fly and drive

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XqCUmr9lMUnrCZMgy8ljiZxX8HkAu60zQdRQwCpy9CytQwepVm4UtyNViMip6NrH