wae
wae PowerDork
2/22/23 9:39 p.m.

Now that the Goldwing has left the garage, I was able to get the other bike out of "storage".  Before I put it up on marketplace, I thought I'd offer it up here as it sits.  The battery is completely dead, the tires are old, I'm sure the carbs need to be cleaned, it's got a half-a-tank or so of old gas, and the turn signal stalks have deteriorated.  Figure about $75 for a new battery, $140 for new turn signals, $300 for a couple new tires, an oil change, flush the brake fluid, and a Sunday afternoon to pull the carbs and clean them up and you've got yourself the prototypical example of the Universal Japanese Motorcycle!

It was running just fine when I parked it in favor of riding the Goldwing.  It was going to become my wife's bike, but she lost interest in riding and then I did too.  It's located in beautiful Erlanger, KY, just a couple miles south of Cincinnati, OH.  Title is clean, clear, in my name, and in my possession.  Plus I have a notary on stand-by.  I might be able to be bribed into delivering it.  GRM price of $400 as it sits.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/22/23 9:48 p.m.

Oh I am so tempted right now .... the wife does miss the nighthawk I had other than being a finicky carb'd Honda and me complaining about it. 

LionPride
LionPride New Reader
2/22/23 10:00 p.m.

Also very tempted.  My wife would murder me...

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/23 10:15 p.m.

Nope I didn't see this.  Not going to be up there in a week.  Nope. Nope. Nope. Moving on.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/22/23 11:31 p.m.

No turn signals?

Over her school break I explained to my 20 year old college student about using your arm to signal your turn or braking.  She thought I was making it up as I showed her.  

wae
wae PowerDork
2/23/23 8:05 a.m.

To be fair, the turn signals are still there and I assume would still be legal.  They're just a little droopy.  A bit of black Gorilla tape would probably get the job done if you didn't want to spring for replacements.

I'm pretty sure you really do want this.  It's such a great little bike.  It's tame enough that a first-timer can learn to ride on it, but it's got enough power that it's not all wound out if you want to go hit the highway.  I have since gotten rid of them, but at one time I had a Givi windscreen and a set of Givi soft bags on it that made it a great commuter bike.  I even used it to take a trip to Jasper, Indiana once.  I'm not going to say that my butt didn't hurt a bit afterwards, but it wasn't a bad three hour ride each way.

When I pulled the other bike out to sell it, I sat on it in the garage and didn't really feel a much.  Last night, I popped this one up on the center stand and climbed on as well, but this time it actually kind of makes me want to ride it.  Get it now before I wind up putting new tires on it and cleaning out the carbs!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/23/23 8:12 a.m.

Wife loved my 93 because the seat was large enough for both of us. The FZ-09 not so much.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/23/23 9:01 a.m.

In reply to LionPride :

Not if you bought HER a bike.  ;- )

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/23/23 11:32 a.m.

I can't right now, but if this is still around in a month or two I'd probably find a way to go get it. 

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/23/23 8:11 p.m.

Wow I did not need to see this... perfect bike for my new commute.  My son's SV1000 with GSXR clip ons is way too aggressive now that Im old

wae
wae PowerDork
2/23/23 8:17 p.m.

In reply to XLR99 (Forum Supporter) :

Or maybe...  this is EXACTLY what you needed to see!  Don't turn your nose up at fate!

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/23/23 8:57 p.m.

Lol, I forwarded him the thread... wheels are turning.

Looks like a 3+30 drive...

wae
wae PowerDork
2/23/23 10:35 p.m.

...and bike is sold!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/24/23 8:26 a.m.

Thank god. I was pricing tires and a battery yesterday. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r4YGdYKEv629XSi45XzOmWAw7SRANmNodlwPmc4THslvhss5iZ5GpPM8XtNntVQ1