ascott
ascott GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/12/24 9:52 p.m.

It is time.

And you’ll see why in a bit, but it is time for me to part with my 1994 Ford Probe GT. This has been a fun project and took me a lot of places.

This Probe:

Was drug out of a parking lot in Indianapolis in late 2019. It had not run in two years at that point. Since then:

Won the DriveAutoX SCN National Championship in 2020
Went to UMI KOTM in 2020
Went to the Ultimate Street Car Invitational in 2020 (COTA) and 2023 (Vegas/SEMA)
Multiple appearances at the Pine Mountain Hillclimb (IIRC it ran a 2:04 last year, on par with an NB MazdaSpeed Miata on Hoosiers)
Multiple TV and magazine appearances, and probably a dozen appearances in Optima Batteries and OSUSC online media.

It’s been to Laguna Seca, COTA, NCM, NOLA Motorsports Park, Road America, AMP, VIR, and probably a few I can't remember.

It topped out at 144 at Daytona International.

Lots of local autocrosses

It has a current SCCA Hillcimb/Time Trials log book.

The belts are current until December 2024

What’s good:

Engine:

2.5L DOHC KLDE V6. Complete competition rebuild in 2021 with KAI Forged connecting rods with ARP rod bolts, CP Carillo forged 84mm pistons with floating 21mm pins, stock forged cranked turned .010 under, line hone, and competition valve job. Valve springs are uprated units sourced from a race team in Australia. Entire rotating assembly balanced and block assembled with ARP head studs. 

Original Distributor modified. Failed ignitor bypassed in favor of a GM HEI module

Brand new AWR Racing Engine Mount Kit.

Massive Derale fan behind an oversized Griffin Aluminum radiator and aux oil cooler plumbed with 5000psi rated lines.

T25 Turbocharger mounted with a DNA Motorsports manifold kit.

Spec Stage 3 Clutch

Dyno tuned by MCR in Park City, KY. Verified 210hp to the ground (~250 crank) at 8psi of boost. Fuel system can handle 15psi, but the transmission can’t.

OBX Exhaust

DIYAutoTune MS2PnP
AEM Wideband O2

Raspberry Pi 3 based Carputer in the dash with a small display, also is a wifi hotspot so you can connect with the Carputer with a phone/tablet/laptop using VNC to mess with the tune or get logs off.

GPS equipped, so your logs will match your GoPro Footage

Suspension:

Tokico Illumina single-adjustable dampers with Ground Control coilover sleeves and Eibach springs.
Front brakes are a custom big kit using Mitsubishi 3000GT rotors, Millenia Calipers, and some adapter brackets. Pretty fresh set of Porterfield R4S on the car plus a new spare set in boxes.

KAI Injection front caster/camber plates
Rear camber plates adapted from an FD RX-7

New (less than 1 year old) set of wheels shod in 245/40R16 Falken RT660s (silver spoked ones in the recent photos).

Alignment, corner balance, and chassis setup work done at Winning Formula here in Louisville, KY.

Interior:

Bride fixed-back seats

Five point harnesses (Dec 2024 expiration)

A decent stereo (Optima requires one if you want to get a decent score)
Battery relocated to an NHRA compliant vented box behind the passenger seat
Battery cut-off switch located over passenger's shoulder

SCCA Time Trials and Hillclimb approved four point roll bar

Intertial fuel cutoff switch delete (it would trip going over rumble strips at NCM)

Boost, Oil Pressure, and Oil Temperature gauges on A-pillar

Body:

Front lower core support rebuilt with roll bar tubing. This made room for the extra large radiator and provided a place to mount the front lower motor mount since the turbocharger piping required deletion of the stock crossmember.

Some rocker rust

Rear hatch rust repaired

Car is white. The Blue is DYC Persian Blue plastidip. 

Trackspec hood vent

Spares:
A brand new A/C compressor in case you want to put A/C back in the car
The old motor mounts
Well used T3 turbocharger
Extra broken transmission and shift linkage with half of 3rd gear brand new. Need to source the other half of third somewhere and you can put it back together and have a spare.
Haynes service manual
Leftover plasti-dip for touch-ups
Laser cut crossmember flanges

I have at least $12,000 in the build. Likely more, I never added it up. The motor mounts went in last week were $500, and the oil cooler lines were almost $450 to have made. So that's almost a grand just right there. Reproducing the engine alone would cost more than I’m asking and take at least six months to get done at any decent machine shop.

The bad: The splitter has a chunk out of it. It’s just made of alumilite sign board, take the splitter to a sign shop and they’ll cut you a new one while you wait.

$6,995!

Car located in Louisville, KY. Title is clear. Car is licensed and was insured in Kentucky. Whether it'll pass an inspection in your state I don't know and can't tell you.

Video of engine running:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7C8yEYwLDguRQ1dr8

Photo Album of pictures taken today, including extensive underside shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4Afx14SrnrHVcB4v7

Huge album of photos showing the whole build:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gyKP3E4VuJfk7uzx5

Contact: You can Message me here or on Facebook or Instagram @Inkyracing, or email directly at andrew at andrew D scott dot com.

UPDATE: The transmission has been replaced with a freshly rebuilt unit. Car is ready to go. Price updated.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/13/24 9:42 a.m.

Way cool. Looks like whoever buys this is getting a heck of race car.

Best of luck with the sale.

gimpstang
gimpstang Reader
5/13/24 10:15 a.m.

That's nice.  I like that a lot 

ascott
5/13/24 12:00 p.m.

Thanks!
Figured I'd give GRM first shot at it. If it doesn't move here by next week it's going up on the facespaces.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
5/14/24 2:01 p.m.

Awesome seller and a very accurate description.  I'd need fewer projects to bring this one into my stable but it's still tempting.

ascott
5/15/24 11:27 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

Thanks!

ascott
5/21/24 11:42 a.m.

Bumping thread!

ascott
5/26/24 8:42 p.m.

Memorial Weekend Bump!

ascott
8/21/24 3:35 p.m.

Bump! The transmission has been rebuilt and the car is now fully functional, turn-key, ready to go! Get it before it goes on marketplace and I have to deal with the mouthbreathers!

ascott
8/23/24 1:00 p.m.

Bumping!

ascott
9/2/24 10:15 p.m.

Bump for new price!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/3/24 9:11 a.m.

This is cool.

#GLWS

ascott
9/3/24 10:58 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

This is cool.

#GLWS

Thanks!
Listing on facebook has almost 3000 views. Optima Batteries promoted a posted linking back to this thread that has over 2000 likes. Be interesting if you all saw a traffic bump from that. Everybody loves the car, but nobody wants to actually buy it. Haven't even been hit with the normal FB lowballers. 

I autocrossed it last weekend, it performed flawlessly. If it's not gone by the SCCA TT Nats, I'll have it there. Maybe somebody that's TT Nats curious but doesn't have a car yet wants it? 

ascott
9/9/24 4:44 p.m.

Bump! We're rolling back like Wal-mart! Who needs a car for TTN?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
APxEJcdVFybr5RxfoUIhEk6Iziwamhafi0xJnteoW1HMhTvVOUeucsgKwrd7sL2W