mtn MegaDork
6/29/15 9:37 a.m.

130k-ish miles.

The good:

• Clutch was done in December, along with transmission fluid
  • Flyin Miata coil-overs
  • Koni Yellows
  • Flyin Miata tow-hitch
  • Cat-back exhaust (not sure what, but decent quality)
  • New tires in... March? Dunlop Direzza's, I believe they were one step down from the Star-Specs
  • Original boot is, to my knowledge, unused
  • Comes with a taller wind-screen that was installed at one point. Original is on there now.
  • Flyin Miata front sway, installed
  • Flyin Miata rear sway, un-installed
  • Stock springs, uninstalled

The bad, some of it ugly:

• Alternator was replaced a few years ago with a Chinese Ebay one. You need the lights on at all times, otherwise it is pumping too much
  • Grinds going into second--My dad noticed this, and we figured out it is because he shifts slower than my brother or I. Shift fast, no problem
  • Trunk lid needs to be replaced
  • Front lip needs to be replaced
  • A blown speaker on the drivers side
  • Paint overall is about a 5-6/10
  • Needs a new soft-top and rain-rail. We patched the top, it is ok for us--probably not for most people. As for the rain rail, after a downpour there is water in the trunk.
  • The original wheels are pretty badly corroded. Cosmetically a 2/10 if it is a dark room. Functionally, there is little bit of a bend in 1 or 2, but my tire shop said they're repairable, and the tires on them were holding air until I hit a pothole and split a seam. Even then, it was holding air for the mile drive to the tire shop.

The other:

• Hardtop is in decent condition. Probably a 7/10
  • SSR type C's are on the car now.

Pricing:

• Car with your choice of tires under $300 installed on the stock wheels: $3,800
  • Car with the SSR wheels and current tires, with the stock wheels thrown in: $4,300
  • Car with the SSR wheels, current tires, stock wheels, and hardtop: $5,000

This was a daily driven car in the midwest through the winter for at least 7 years. It probably has rust underneath. This is not a garage queen. If I wasn't moving to the city, I'd probably be keeping it.

Oops... Thought I had pictures. Pictures are on their way tonight. And if you folks think my pricing is way out of line, let me know--it is really hard to gauge for me on these cars--I'm probably the only year-round daily driven autocrossed Chicago 10AE that exists. I may be interested in trades or partial trades (either direction) for intersting Daily-driveable cars or guitars, so please don't hesitate to ask, but I wouldn't count on that happening.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/29/15 10:29 a.m.

I'll wait on pics if that's easier, but what's so bad about the entire trunk lid that it needs to be replaced?

And pending rust situation, how interested would you be in a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4/4.0/5spd/2dr?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/29/15 10:33 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I'll wait on pics if that's easier, but what's so bad about the entire trunk lid that it needs to be replaced? And pending rust situation, how interested would you be in a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4/4.0/5spd/2dr?

That sounds like a hermaphrodite unicorn. I had no idea they made a 2-door 5 speed in 1998. Unfortunately, no, I'm not interested.

The trunk lid though--the car was either backed into in a former life, or else something fell on it--I can't remember. The trunk was lid was the only culprit, and was repaired, but now there is rust bubbles by the logo and the clear coat is peeling very badly. It wouldn't be worth it to respray it. I suppose you could plasti-dip it, if you're into that.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/29/15 10:36 a.m.

Hermaphrodite unicorn sounds about right.

Gotcha on the trunk lid. I have a spare. Still interested in pics, but i'd have to sell the hermaphrodite unicorn to swing this.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/15 3:39 p.m.

Interested in trade for a similar miles/midwest dd status silver 03 SVT focus? I was thinking of waiting till fall to trade, but I may be interested if you are. Also, I'm in chicago-land (chicago heights).

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/29/15 4:11 p.m.
rcutclif wrote: Interested in trade for a similar miles/midwest dd status silver 03 SVT focus? I was thinking of waiting till fall to trade, but I may be interested if you are. Also, I'm in chicago-land (chicago heights).

That one is more interesting to me... Still don't think it is right for me.

And FWIW, I have no idea what I am looking for.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/30/15 12:25 a.m.

PICTARS!

Oh, forgot to mention: check engine light is on. Emissions something or other. Dunno, gas mileage hasn't been affected so I don't really care too much--it passed emissions last year.

Tundra is also for sale if anyone needs a good truck.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
6/30/15 12:28 p.m.

6'2" driver fit in a miata?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/30/15 12:54 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: 6'2" driver fit in a miata?

Depends. I'm 5'10", 210 with a 29 inch inseam--that means a tall torso. I fit fine. My little brother is 6'2", 195, with about a 34 inch inseam--long legs. He fits fine, but doesn't like to drive it for more than an hour. My older brother is 6'3" with a 29 inch inseam--It is a feat to watch him get in it. Once in, he is ok as long as he can have the top down and he has goggles on--it is easier for him to look over the windshield than under. So he doesn't fit at all.

There are ways to improve headroom--foamectomy, take out the rails and bolt it directly to the floor, race seat, but not-so-much leg room other than a race seat.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/8/15 1:08 p.m.

Bump to the top because I'm posting it other places now. And to bump it to the top. For views. Yo.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/15/15 9:48 a.m.

Bump with a new price for GRMers:

$4,000 and two cases of beer for the whole package.

Theoretically, you could get this into the challenge realm: You buy the car for $3,000, and the hardtop for $1,000. I'll write separate invoices. Then, sell the SSR wheels for $600 (may be stretching it). Seats, $200. Stock springs, $50. Rear sway, $25. Figure out how to get another $125 out of it and you're there! Doesn't leave you anything for further upgrades though...

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/15 2:25 p.m.

I don't need a miata right now. I don't need a miata right now.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/15/15 2:36 p.m.

Hey waddya know, we're only an hour away from each other (without traffic)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1uq0SEqjkPUK9QWtVgzwLvnixPRVB8jvhJCkkx8WZ1eMluQRKghkoMAolGyMZzLj