1 2
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/31/18 12:34 p.m.

This past year, I did the One Lap of America with Sleepyhead and Bob.  Our steed was Sleepyhead's Acura TL, manual trans. 

Pic:

It's a pretty rare car in that not many TLs came with the manual 6 speed.  It proved to be a great "all arounder".  Competent on the track yet comfortable for 3,500 miles in one week while being perfect in its Honda-reliability.  

So, this week I was talking with the local guy that does auto detailing for me and he mentioned that he just finished detailing his brother-in-law's Acura TL to put up for sale...and that it too is a manual trans.   If you're looking for a good all-arounder that can even hold some kid, car-seats, this might be a good choice for you.  It has high miles but to look at it or drive it you would never know.  

Here are the details:

2005 Acura TL

Manual 6-Speed Transmission

Only 15% were produced manual 

201,500 Miles (Highway)

Maintained Routinely

1 Year Old Yokohama Tires

Fresh Oil Change (Valvoline Synthetic Blend)

Black Leather Interior

Dual Heated and Power Seats

Heated Mirrors

V6, VTEC, 3.2 Liter Engine

270 Horsepower

21 City / 31 Highway

Navigation System

Premium Sound System w/ 6 CD Changer

Integrated Rear Subwoofer

Power Seats, Locks, Doors, Mirrors

Cruise Control

Keyless Entry

Privacy Glass

Moon Roof

All Weather Floormats

All Weather Trunk Liner

Passenger, Driver, Front, Side Airbags

2 Previous Owners

Non Smoker

2 Sets of Keys

9.4 out of 10 Star Consumer Rated Vehicle

Reliable, Safe, Clean, Sports Sedan

Extra: Set of HID Headlights

Extra: Original Cloth Floormats

Extra: Wheel Lock Socket

Needs Nothing - Runs Like New

$3,999

Call or Text Billy: 4one9-3six six -9six4O

He also has the car on FB if that is easier for you:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1209039882577710/

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/31/18 12:49 p.m.

Dang, that looks nice. Looks awesome. I miss driving modern cars with a manual.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/31/18 1:19 p.m.

The Navi units in these are pretty terrible and the updates are stupid expensive and I refuse to support Alpine. Other than that decent car. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/31/18 11:34 p.m.

I love the trans in these. Isn’t this basically a tl-s minus the cool wheels and some other parts? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/2/19 2:49 p.m.

In reply to grover :

So funny story...... All 04-06 6-spds were considered TL-S by Honda in the parts catalogs. The difference being the brakes, springs and sway bars (and third pedal). the -S came back out as a separate model on the 07-08 light facelift. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/2/19 7:55 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

That did not help my want for this. Just wish it had the magnesium rims. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/19 4:48 a.m.

man, I need to buy that just so I can have an un-cracked dash!  (that's worth ~$2k)

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
1/3/19 12:45 p.m.

Keep in mind, all the three-pedal TL's of this generation got a limited slip diff. The "better brakes" were Brembos.

My ex had one and it was a fantastic car.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
1/6/19 9:37 a.m.

Whenever I see one of this gen TL,  I'm reminded how fresh these still look.  

johndej
johndej HalfDork
1/6/19 10:55 a.m.

Tempting... Does it need premium or is 87 good?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/6/19 11:13 a.m.

89 minimum, iirc

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/7/19 1:39 p.m.

I've been looking at these for a while.  The interior is in phenomenal condition for the mileage...usually the interiors on these are pretty fragile.  If it's not rusty, this thing is a steal.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/7/19 2:09 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

While they CAN run on 87 or 89, long term usage tends to cause EGR issues (carbon buildup clogging ports). They prefer 91. We did a LOT of EGR port cleans on these engines (as well as the MDX 3.5/3.7) 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/8/19 3:51 p.m.

I went by the seller's house today, he still has the Acura TL. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/8/19 3:57 p.m.

Damn, thats nice

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/8/19 3:58 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to johndej :

While they CAN run on 87 or 89, long term usage tends to cause EGR issues (carbon buildup clogging ports). They prefer 91. We did a LOT of EGR port cleans on these engines (as well as the MDX 3.5/3.7) 

Are there EGR issues you guys see on the 2.4L TSX Motor?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/8/19 4:03 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Not that I remember. The 2.4's were more timing chain stretch issues with long OCI's. My personal belief was the onboard service minder was extremely optimistic on OCI's for those engines. It wasn't uncommon for a car to come in at 7k 3 qts low. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/8/19 4:34 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Not that I remember. The 2.4's were more timing chain stretch issues with long OCI's. My personal belief was the onboard service minder was extremely optimistic on OCI's for those engines. It wasn't uncommon for a car to come in at 7k 3 qts low. 

Thank you 

I am doing 7,500 mile OCI with no oil burn rate. Mine is a tsx wagon with 118k miles. Owned since new

what OCI do you recommend ?

Tyler H
1/8/19 5:08 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
bobzilla said:

Thank you 

I am doing 7,500 mile OCI with no oil burn rate. Mine is a tsx wagon with 118k miles. Owned since new

what OCI do you recommend ?

I'd say after 118k miles, you're doing it right.  My buddy and his sister were both given Accords for xmas gifts, and those mofos were drinking oil by 50k miles.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/8/19 10:20 p.m.

In reply to Tyler H :

Wow

ApexEight
ApexEight New Reader
1/8/19 10:29 p.m.

Wow, that's incredibly clean, especially for the mileage. But I bought a car from Ohio once and there was a fair bit of rust underneath (it was only a 6 year old car) that kept it from being properly aligned (the suspension and steering components were rusted and you couldn't turn a single nut). That's the only thing that gives me pause.

Edit: @sleepyhead got a build thread for your TL? Looks sweet.

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
1/8/19 11:10 p.m.

This is such a gorgeous car. I had an 05 Accord V6 sedan and lusted after the TL 6 spd for soooo long, but the timing never aligned for me to get one.  Good luck with the sale.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/9/19 6:08 a.m.

I can’t recommend any OCI. That’s what UOA is useful for. Most chain stretch issues were in the first gen cars as I recall. But to be fair it has been over 4 years since I left the dealerships. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/9/19 6:41 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Thank you 

Tyler H
1/9/19 10:28 a.m.
ApexEight said:

Wow, that's incredibly clean, especially for the mileage. But I bought a car from Ohio once and there was a fair bit of rust underneath (it was only a 6 year old car) that kept it from being properly aligned (the suspension and steering components were rusted and you couldn't turn a single nut). That's the only thing that gives me pause.

Edit: @sleepyhead got a build thread for your TL? Looks sweet.

If it were in Atlanta instead of Ohio, it would be in my driveway right now.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c7yBZPusDw8dG5j5kSQzgwKe0byawGYeAthZPpuqaX0k1fT36rxvH4BA00ysqYk9