Sonic
Sonic UberDork
8/17/23 8:17 p.m.

The time has come to part with my Corvette. It served its purpose with me, to bring the son of the original owner who has been my friend for 30 years, on the first road trip of his life in the exact car he idolized as a kid.  Here's my build thread for the first half or so of the work I did: 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/an-unexpected-car-i-have-no-use-for-and-know-nothing-about-1984-corvette/184381/page1/ 

Here are the details

1984 C4 Corvette Z51, 4+3 manual transmission with overdrive

VIN: 1G1AY0788E5135092

46,627 miles, 2 owner.  First owner from new to 2021, second owner friend of original family from 2021 to date

A few pics to start with for attention, lots and lots of info below: 

This is a great driving, sorted, two owner, low mileage 84 Corvette with the desirable Z51 package and manual transmission.  Originally purchased and owned by a Nobel Prize laureate, this Corvette is ready for a new owner to enjoy.  The current owner acquired the car from the original owner, as they are family friends, with the goal of restoring a car that had been sitting in a garage for more than 20 years.   Through the last two years all systems have been gone through and the car even went on a successful 1500 mile road trip all around the northeast in the fall of 2022.  It is not perfect, but an excellent driver that is ready to enjoy right now, not neglected and needy like so many other C4s.  The car is basically stock, the only modifications are the period installed Borla stainless exhaust and the modern stereo.  It even still has the original top removal tool.  PA inspection is current.  This has the highly desirable Z51 suspension which was the stiffest C4 suspension offered, softened for subsequent years.

Link to over 100 pictures and cold start video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mt5hxhdtpxkW5KidA

Parts replaced during restoration in last two years and 2,500 miles, over $3800 in parts alone

4 BF Goodrich Comp TA sport tires, 255/50ZR16

All fluids: Oil, transmission, overdrive, rear axle, brake, clutch, power steering

A/C compressor, driver, o rings, orifice tube (AC Delco) – AC blows cold, see thermometer picture

Both window motors (AC Delco), window tracks cleaned and greased

O2 sensor (AC Delco)

Valve cover gaskets (Felpro)

All 4 wheel bearings (Moog or Timken)

All brake hoses (Centric)

Brake master cylinder (Luk)

Clutch master and slave cylinder, clutch line (Luk)

Parking brake cables (Raybestos)

Left lower ball joint (Moog)

Fuel pump (Delphi) and sending unit

Fuel tank cleaned

Fuel filter

Front brake calipers (AC Delco, Cardone)

Spark plugs (AC Delco)

Distributor cap and rotor (AC Delco)

Plug wires (GM genuine)

Ignition coil and module (Napa)

Serpentine belt (Continental)

Wiper blades

Door belt weather strip

Hatch weather strip

Battery: Napa

Interior plastic restoration/repaint

Headliner recovering with light tan material

Gas tank filler neck and seal and gasket

Window anti rattle bumpers

Outer window seals

Power antenna mast repair

Drivers window switch

Stereo with JVC Bluetooth stereo, 400W amp, MTX dominator speakers (6.5” separates front, 6x9” rear, under stock covers)

RPO codes:

AG9: power drivers seat

AU3: power locks

A42: standard leather seats

C49: rear defogger

DL8: remoted heated outside mirrors

FE7: high performance suspension

F51: heavy duty shock absorber

HE3: 3.07 rear axle ratio

K34: cruise control

K61: 97 amp alternator

L83: crossfire injection 5.7l engine

MK2: manual 4 speed Doug Nash transmission

MM4: 4 speed manual

QZD: 16” wheels with P255/50ZR16

UQ4: Delco Bose four speaker stereo system

UU8: Delco Bose AM/FM stereo radio with cassette

Z51: Performance handling package

62I: Saddle interior trim

A car like this is not perfect, as it is mostly original.  The car had an original color respray in the late 90s, and now has a few chips, light scrapes and spots here and there, most notably on the leading edge of the targa top, but overall it looks great from 10’, gets compliments regularly.  The cruise control does not work, the mirrors work sometimes, and the tachometer back lighting isn’t great anymore.  The drivers seat has some bolster wear. The carpet is thin in spots in the cargo area.  The wheels (staggered width) have some curbing and corrosion. There are probably a few more little things, but as expected for a 40 year old driver quality car.  Please see the detailed pictures for real condition.  I’m happy to take more pictures as needed. 

Located under an hour west of Philadelphia, asking $8,000, highly flexible for a GRM buyer.  Clean PA title in my name. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/23 8:24 p.m.

^And that, my friends, is how to write a For Sale ad!

I am ridiculously intrigued by the MIT sticker and the Nobel Laureate. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
8/17/23 9:03 p.m.

If you want an early C4, this is your car.  Sonic is a long time friend and teammate.  He is utterly meticulous in working on his cars, and no corners were cut.  This is one you can buy with confidence knowing you'll get exactly what was described.  

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
8/18/23 3:07 p.m.

Thanks for the comments Woody and Steve. 

I realized that I never mentioned in the ad about what this is actually like to drive.  First off, this is not a "good" car by any means, it is 80's GM.  It will probably continue to need regular tinkering as it is 40 years old.  That said, it is about as rad as rad gets.  It makes all of the right noises with the Borla exhaust.  The stereo is loud and bluetooth so you can connect to the Spotify hair metal channel.  There's no way you don't smile when driving this on a nice day with the windows down playing Van Halen loud.  Yes, my giant Escalade is is totally faster and gets better mileage and you literally will not care.  It does handle and steer quite well, though, the Z51 package really was something.  

RedGT
RedGT Dork
8/21/23 10:03 a.m.

I realize how silly of a question this is, but just bear with me here: what kind of MPG does it get in real world driving?  Ever checked?

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
8/21/23 11:24 a.m.

From what I've seen from the space age trip computer, it is 20-22 highway and 15-16 around town, which I think is true.  

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro SuperDork
8/21/23 1:40 p.m.

Nice Corvette. I always liked them, even wanted one just like this, Crossfire included. That is because I have an Offy Z28 crossram intake setup that would be fun in there, hidden under the stock air cleaner.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
9/25/23 2:45 p.m.

Now listed with Hagerty auctions, no reserve 

https://www.hagerty.com/marketplace/auction/7LycPNicvtPYbj1mcBRna

Auction Link

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/25/23 4:45 p.m.

I'm glad you're asking so much for the car because I don't have that much. When I say "so much" I mean, a fair and reasonable price. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
9/28/23 10:40 p.m.

Came here to say some jackass in california is spamming your car on fb marketplace but apparently its actually the hagerty guy.  Go figure. Good luck with the auction tho!

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
9/28/23 10:45 p.m.

I had no idea Hagerty had an auction site. I'd assume many do not know, and I'd be afraid it'd go crazy cheap. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
9/29/23 11:42 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

I had no idea Hagerty had an auction site. I'd assume many do not know, and I'd be afraid it'd go crazy cheap. 

Same.  Looks like they are trying their best to do a BaT/CaB impression but haven't quite nailed down the grammar/phrasing/proofreading part yet.  I don't know if that's on Hagerty editors or the MDeeb representative but it amuses me anyway.

Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
9/30/23 12:49 p.m.

I'm strangely mesmerized by this car.   Great ad.   

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/30/23 3:29 p.m.

OMG, embarrassed to say my brother paid >$20k for one!

But, TIL there is an aftermarket device that allows you to open the rear window a crack, eliminating the "helicopter in the back seat" noise.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/30/23 10:59 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Like this?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/1/23 6:26 p.m.

I got the idea it was electric and lifted the rear of the glass.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/1/23 7:02 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I know that's what 3rd gen f bodies do, but I think all years of the c4 was just a latch.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/18/23 2:47 p.m.

Wow, someone got a great deal. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LLi7RuIapFrhwOim1g0q7o1hCN6vUYCRZhBiJIVNeQmYu3qhMFlTC11c6iLy0vNF