dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/29/23 2:26 p.m.

Why do people still think these have some value? "does not run, someone removed the timing belt, did not complete the job". Sure that is all that this car needs to be back on the road again! $3,900 reduced to $2,200 now!

Fantastic BiTurbo project

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/29/23 2:51 p.m.

90% of ads around my area say either "runs and drives great. Just needs a transmission, and 3 tires are flat" or "no title, but you can just go apply for a lost one" and then want running car price. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/29/23 2:54 p.m.

If I wanted a cheap automatic transmission convertible with a Maserati badge, I'd go looking for a Chrysler TC by Maserati way before I'd touch this pile.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
11/29/23 3:53 p.m.

A rusted, non-running Maserati with a destroyed interior and needing a top - you couldn't pay me enough to haul it to the junk yard. 

My dealership sold these when new and they were really nice driving cars with good power for the era.....but in this condition, it's at best a parts car to me.

I rebuilt the engine on a Merak for my BIL, parts were unbelievably expensive for it - staggeringly expensive.....$600 gasket sets that didn't include head gaskets, $120 ea for exhaust valves, main and rod bearings sold as individual shells, $600-1,000 for the set, etc. I think he spent close to $10K on parts and machine work to rebuild the motor.....

I have an interesting story to tell on it tho - once it was all together and back in the car I noticed that it had an incorrect distributor - these engines are not even firing (as in every 60*) but instead they're 45 - 75......it used an optical device for spark timing - a plate with 6 slots cut in it with an LED that shone thru the slots as it turned. I took the plate off and JB welded up three of the slots, got out my protractor and cut three new ones and bob's yer uncle it ran perfectly!

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/29/23 7:20 p.m.

For a long time I have wanted to pick up a Biturbo as a shell donor for a swap. That was, however, when they were cheap as chips  because they were basically junk. 

For some reason, however, people are asking stupid prices for their Biturbo junk. The novelty of having one as a project has lost its appeal for me. Someone else can crack on at this heap. 

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/29/23 7:40 p.m.

I think the steering wheel is the best part of the whole car.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/23 8:29 p.m.

"Fair condition" LOL

In reply to rustyvw :

It would be the best part of a lot of cars, that's a nice wheel.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/29/23 8:43 p.m.

What amazes me about it is how bad of shape the seats are in.  I'm guessing they got a lot of weather through the damaged convertible top, because pretty much every hardtop BiTurbo I've seen still has nice seats.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/23 9:40 a.m.
rustyvw said:

I think the steering wheel is the best part of the whole car.

I see we all think alike, when this is hauled to the junkyard, I have dibs on the steering wheel smiley

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dIrTa93oo3ThAa6kda8fZVDZ0Bjs7KpGRH4mTkitn4wzqGoUz51bcBZMVLTb1mWV