KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
4/11/19 6:13 a.m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2123218244440897/

Wiring harness problems, how bad could that be?  (As I run and hide in the corner at the thought of it)

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
4/11/19 6:20 a.m.

Probably just a fuse, you should go buy it devil

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/11/19 9:39 a.m.

The only reason I have not brought a Crossfire to The Challenge is that I do not want to own a Crossfire.  

However, for someone else, I think it is an easy path to a 10th place finish.  

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/11/19 9:56 a.m.
John Welsh said:

The only reason I have not brought a Crossfire to The Challenge is that I do not want to own a Crossfire.  

You realize this is how every single one of us thinks of it too?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
4/11/19 10:04 a.m.
Robbie said:
John Welsh said:

You realize this is how every single one of us thinks of it too?

I must be the odd man out.  I'd actually like to own one. I thought, and still do, they were pretty good looking when they were first introduced.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/11/19 10:10 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

If you'd like, I'll write you out the recipe.   

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
4/11/19 11:27 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Go ahead and write it out if you care to (someone else reading may benefit), but it would be at least five years before I could take one of these on as a project.  I have so many other projects lined up in front of it.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
4/11/19 11:31 a.m.

For thoes than can not see it on Faceplace 

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
4/11/19 11:37 a.m.

5 speed base.  heart

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
4/11/19 12:52 p.m.

$1200 is about $1000 too much, right?  

Even as a shell there's so much Mercedes over-complication that doing anything unique would be a ton of tedium.  In my estimation.  I want nothing to do with one of these things.  

Honestly getting a Maserati BiTurbo back on the road seems like more fun.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
4/11/19 12:57 p.m.

If it were a little less exspensive, I would buy it to build the manual transmission clk430 I fantasize about. The MT from this bolts up. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/11/19 1:32 p.m.

I want to see one of these with just a bigger front bar, stiffer springs and a square 17 or 18x10 setup.  Should be fun.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/11/19 1:48 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Factory they are 18" front and 19" rear.  Replacement tires can be $1k, mounted for even the cheapest of tires.  I would recommend selling off the actual Crossfire Wheels which seem to sell for crazy high money and remount a square set of cast-off MB wheels that will bolt right up.  

As a Challenge Car, the real world budget would be quite a bit over $2k when you factor in expensive sticky rubber (that doesn't have to go into budget.)  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/11/19 1:51 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Funny you mention BiTurbo.  Crossfire sellers are nearly as delusional as BiTurbo sellers when it comes to setting asking prices for their cars.  I'm not sure who is really setting out to find a manual trans, 15 year old, Bastard Chrysler for $10k when there are so many other, better choices in that price range. 

Get into sub $2k and you might have interest

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
4/11/19 2:06 p.m.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
4/11/19 2:12 p.m.
Cooter said:

Drool.  I even like the fact that it's a bit dirty

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/11/19 2:43 p.m.

There are times in my life that i feel that god has graced me with my problems. 

Todays major problems are a broke truck, too many projects, and a very limited bank account. 

Without His grace, i would probably be doing something irrevocably stupid because crossfires give me wood. 

Mahogany. 

Teak.

Oak.

Pine.

All sorts of wood.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/11/19 3:03 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Factory they are 18" front and 19" rear.  Replacement tires can be $1k, mounted for even the cheapest of tires.  I would recommend selling off the actual Crossfire Wheels which seem to sell for crazy high money and remount a square set of cast-off MB wheels that will bolt right up.  

As a Challenge Car, the real world budget would be quite a bit over $2k when you factor in expensive sticky rubber (that doesn't have to go into budget.)  

Yes, step 1 would be to get rid of those wheels.  The stagger (in both height and width) is absurd, and the fronts are way too narrow to make it turn well.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
4/11/19 3:38 p.m.

I noticed that the “f” was missing from the Crossfire badging in the picture. This creates a new and relevant brand message, methinks.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
4/12/19 2:25 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Funny you mention BiTurbo.  Crossfire sellers are nearly as delusional as BiTurbo sellers when it comes to setting asking prices for their cars.  I'm not sure who is really setting out to find a manual trans, 15 year old, Bastard Chrysler for $10k when there are so many other, better choices in that price range. 

Get into sub $2k and you might have interest

Oh yeah, a non-running BiTurbo should be relatively pennies as well.  I just feel like, if I really want this kind of science project, I'd want something that isn't sharing styling cue's with the AMC Marlin and WWII-era boats.  Plus, honestly, BiTurbo's don't seem very complex, just delicate and missing the last 20% of the engineering required to make a really solid car.

tux424
tux424 New Reader
4/12/19 8:15 p.m.

A cheap Mercedes with wiring issues, what could possibly go wrong? Don't forget to sprinkle in some pre-resession Chrysler reliablility as well...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X4MES0gUUPbWSqL18BJsNeym3jcbFDL4r4Y3pK5XEAdgO2bZW3wIZeSoQ8DZKKlA