OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
4/29/20 8:55 a.m.

Right near where I live. I really don't want to know how cheap this is. 

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads

https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d/ventura-delorean-car/7115589734.html

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/20 10:22 a.m.

Now that would be a fun project to play with.

I'd toss them a cheap offer about double what scrap is going for since the steel backbone Lotus Esprit style chassis underneath is likely just bits of rust held together with fiberglass and grease.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/29/20 10:32 a.m.

That left front fender is worth the price of admission alone. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/29/20 10:47 a.m.

Unless you absolutely love them, they're actually a not-so-great car with a terrible engine.

I'd have a Biturbo before I bought a DeLorean.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
4/29/20 10:56 a.m.
ShawnG said:

Unless you absolutely love them, they're actually a not-so-great car with a terrible engine.

Before the Tesla and Prius, I'd say they embody modern SoCal driving.  Flashy and futuristic without being offensive, pretty easy to drive while barely paying attention, but different enough to impress the casual passer by.

Combine one with a modern EV drivetrain and you'd have a pretty slick commuter (except for all of the SUV/CUV that wouldn't see you).

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
4/29/20 11:17 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

They did eventually do some more-impressive things with the PRV6, but that was after the DeLorean was dead and gone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_PRV_engine

https://ranwhenparked.net/2010/08/16/the-controversial-prv-engine-part-one/

Specifically the Venturi line of supercars:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_Automobiles

and one can't post a mention of the Venturi without posting this clip:

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/29/20 11:23 a.m.

What up with the rear track width?

If you MUST have a car with a Take-Out Window in the rivers side, then I recommend the Subaru SVX over the DeLorean. The DeLorean engine is a Peugeot-Renault-Volvo Frankenstein, need I say more? AND the car was built in Ireland...what were the chances that anyone was sober  on the line  the day it was built? ;->

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
4/29/20 11:37 a.m.

they were built in Northern Ireland , part of the UK ......

and John DeLorean got a big pile of money from the UK government for building it in  Northern Ireland  and the jobs it made........then he ran out of money and ...........well thats the tabloid story !

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
4/29/20 11:39 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Its also a bastardized Lotus Esprit underneath with the PRV in the wrong spot running Bosch CIS.

Sure you can replace the chassis with a newer, stronger one by ordering it from the UK (or making it yourself with a good sheet metal brake) and the CIS can be evicted for nearly anything else from a carb to MegaSquirt.  Even the engine itself could be swapped for something else with some work.

In the end though, you'd end up with a shiny, Irish-built, wannabe 911 without any of the German engineering needed to make it work reasonably well.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
4/29/20 11:40 a.m.

In reply to OjaiM5 :

just got a text back from the "seller"  its a bogus ad that someone put his phone number on......

ohh well , back to the Future  and pre Covid is gone , 

stay safe

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/29/20 11:47 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Side note...

The Subaru SVX does not have a take-out window. The upper part is fixed, the lower part is an electric one that lowers into the door like any other electric window. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/29/20 11:57 a.m.

There were pics floating around of a 2JZ swapped DeLorean, that might be the fix.

The PRV I had the displeasure of working on was in a Volvo 760GLE. I'll never own a car with that hunk of garbage in it ever again. 

You can fix anything if you throw enough cubic dollars at it but why bother.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/29/20 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

Watching that video with the auto-generated Portuguese closed captioning turned on didn't make it any better. Recommend skipping the captioning unless you can read Portuguese.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/29/20 2:01 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

Maybe should have said "Drive through window" 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
4/29/20 2:24 p.m.
ShawnG said:

There were pics floating around of a 2JZ swapped DeLorean, that might be the fix.

The PRV I had the displeasure of working on was in a Volvo 760GLE. I'll never own a car with that hunk of garbage in it ever again. 

You can fix anything if you throw enough cubic dollars at it but why bother.

At one point it, like so many cars of the time, was supposed to have a rotary engine installed in it.  there was a 3-rotor swapped one featured online, probably a decent option compared to a stupidly long 2JZ.

These days a Chevy LFX or a Honda V6 might be a better option.

EDIT it was a 3-rotor: http://www.zercustoms.com/news/300Hp-DeLorean-With-A-Mazda-Rotary-Engine.html

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/29/20 2:55 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:
ShawnG said:

Before the Tesla and Prius, I'd say they embody modern SoCal driving.  Flashy and futuristic without being offensive, pretty easy to drive while barely paying attention, but different enough to impress the casual passer by.

Combine one with a modern EV drivetrain and you'd have a pretty slick commuter (except for all of the SUV/CUV that wouldn't see you).

I just watched an episode of Mike Brewers  show on Prime where he toured EV West. One of the cars in the shop waiting on an install was a DeLorean.

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop HalfDork
4/30/20 4:16 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hgpj3EsYimcUIiHqtHki2qSXbvKtunRk3lgLKHcVB36YVazsYPsFFZbMb1IcpFOo