1 2
bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/6/24 2:57 p.m.

FS: 1985 Mustang GT with T-Tops. 98K miles

I've had the car about 3 years now. It's been a southern car all of it's life (TN and FL) till it came to Omaha about 3 years ago. Absolutely no rust on the body that I've found. It's been in the garage the whole time here and never seen weather in my ownership. 

At some point it was repainted. You can see a little bit of the over spray on the under body shot. The paint is a 10 footer but very presentable. 

When I got it, it had a pretty bad coolant leak so I replaced the cooling system including the radiator, water pump, thermostat, and some of the hoses (it was pretty rusty) and mounted an Edelbrock RPM manifold with a freshly rebuilt stock carb on it. While I was working on it, there was a family event that happened that drew me away and to be honest, I never got back to it over the last few years and really not a lot of desire to either. It is currently not running but turns over easy and rotates freely. 

The driver's door is pulled apart to reseal the door and the dash is apart to clean up the stereo wiring. I never got it done. There was also an issue with the turn signal that I was chasing but never found. 

I think it could be a really fun car but it's just not lighting my fire anymore so I want to get it to someone who will love it. 

Included with the sale: 

All of the weatherstripping I bought for it.

An extra 10 hole wheel

The stock intake manifold

87-93 front spindles for the 11" front brakes. 

Let me know if there are any questions. 

Can post up any requested pictures. 

Thanks for looking. 

Mike

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/24 3:18 p.m.

Dang that is a crazy good deal. 

bmw88rider
2/6/24 3:34 p.m.

Thanks Javelin. I can help load it on a trailer and send it to Washington for you. :) 

Also, no problems storing it for a bit if needed for pickup as long as we have payment settled. I have a NE title for it so no issues there. It's just time to move on. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/6/24 8:29 p.m.

Oh, man. I don't need another project, but if you were closer..... surprise

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
2/6/24 10:10 p.m.

If I didn't buy a Z car four months ago......

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
2/7/24 12:29 a.m.

Good lord, this one hurts. Maybe in a year or so I could feasibly and Quasi-responsibly snag another FoxBody project. If it was a hard top with manual windows I would be crying myself to sleep.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
2/7/24 6:20 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

Why you bringing a MOFO into this conversation, is he willing to store it?

Seriously, if the interior and underside are clean this could be buttoned up and flipped or kept as a nice cruiser.

Also 86 is a dumb year for these due to an oddball motor, glad to see it's an 85.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
2/7/24 6:38 a.m.

Looks like a nine hour drive for me.   

I miss my 92 and race an 89 so I know these cars.

Any interest in stepping up to a 2008 GT, I would love a drive and tow.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
2/7/24 6:40 a.m.

I sent this to SWMBO, for further consideration.

bmw88rider
2/7/24 7:03 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

The underside is really clean on it. No rust that I found on it. I would call the interior driver class. Not perfect but won't put you to shame at a car meetup. The rear plastics are kinda scratched up but serviceable.

Not interested in another car right now. I have 5 and a motorcycle and It's just me. Trying to shed a couple from the fleet.

2/7/24 8:52 a.m.
akylekoz said:

Looks like a nine hour drive for me.   

Just over 10 hours for me. Not that I've checked... wink

This car is basically exactly what I was looking for last spring before I gave up on finding a decent fox body and got an S197 instead. I was specifically looking for an 85-86 T-top car, in fact. T-tops are boss, and I wouldn't be doing any tracking or anything, just cruising around blasting Whitesnake.

bmw88rider
2/7/24 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Nice Tom. I do have a radwood era Alpine CD player to go with it that does go with it. I'm sure you can find a few whitesnake and poison CDs to play in it. I don't have a close up of it but it's on the t-top in the picture below: 

bmw88rider
2/7/24 9:54 a.m.

Couple other pictures of the common rust areas: 

bmw88rider
2/7/24 9:55 a.m.

And yes, the tires are Chinese junk but a good excuse to burn them down when you actually put good tires on it. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
2/7/24 10:56 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

In reply to akylekoz :

Not interested in another car right now. I have 5 and a motorcycle and It's just me. 

Is that five project cars? Does that include your daily driver in the five? How many you getting it down to?

Just trying to gauge how many cars I can hoard in my life. 

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
2/7/24 11:10 a.m.
akylekoz said:

In reply to The_Jed :

Why you bringing a MOFO into this conversation, is he willing to store it?

Seriously, if the interior and underside are clean this could be buttoned up and flipped or kept as a nice cruiser.

Also 86 is a dumb year for these due to an oddball motor, glad to see it's an 85.

He is inspirational! I have no clue about storage though. 

I had an '86 many, many years ago with the true flat top pistons, terrible "high swirl" E6 heads, and 58 mm throttle body with the corresponding tiny port intake. It had very snappy throttle response but, (I assume) due to the speed density injection, it's part throttle cruising manners left something to be desired. It was a turd but I miss it. It also had more rust than I'm generally comfortable with and 200,000+ miles.

It was a hard top with manual windows, locks, and transmission. I had gutted the interior, eliminated all of the hvac bits, installed an a/c eliminator bracket, a tiny crank pulley, a QA-1 tubular k-member with SN95 A-arms, tubular rear control arms, the 5300C (650 lb/in front 200-300 lb/in rear) spring set, KYB shocks and struts, and MAC caster/camber plates. I think it still had the "old style" spindles with 10" rotors up front and tiny drums in the back. LOL

That car had my absolute favorite steering wheel too. 

I plan to eventually snag an old, no-options FoxBody hatch or SN95 GTS at some point in the not-too-distant future.   

bmw88rider
2/7/24 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

Not 5 project cars. I would say right now 3 project cars and 2 DDish cars

2019 VW Sportwagen 4motion: Primary DD

2005 Honda Element:  Bike/Stuff hauler and Car camper

1996 Mitsubishi Mirage RS: JDM toy and track fun car

2005 Mazdaspeed Miata: Summer sun tan machine and cruiser.

This mustang for sale and a BMW F650 that I got cheap and ride when I can. 

Just selling the mustang for now. I want all my cars outside the element to be able to be parked in a garage at one of my 2 houses.

It helps I had all of these before I met my GF so the bar is set high on what I can have. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/24 11:56 a.m.

Oooh, always loved a good 4 eye. Starting with a rust free car is an incredible good value short cut. 

Good luck with the sale!

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/24 11:57 a.m.

That is super tempting but too far away. 

Let me go see what shipping would cost. 

2/7/24 12:22 p.m.

You mentioned that you're replacing the weather stripping. Is the car currently weather proof enough to, say, survive a 700-mile tow on an open trailer? Just as an example? smiley

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
2/7/24 12:27 p.m.

Do It!  You know you want to, S197's are plentiful, clean four eye's not so much.  

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
2/7/24 12:30 p.m.

Ok, the worst spot even on a clean Fox is where the shock tower meets the structural uni-body rail next to the header.  If it's solid there, oh and the bottom inside of the hatch, then it is worthy.

bmw88rider
2/7/24 12:42 p.m.

It hasn't seen weather under my ownership Tom so I can't say 100%. The passenger's side is pretty good. Needs the window and channel felts done. The rubber from the window to the body I'll have to check. I think I did it but TBH, I can not remember.

The drivers side does not have the window and channel felts installed (Included but not installed) but does have new weatherstrip for the window to the body.

Worse case we put some film over it. 

Akylekoz, I'll grab some pictures there too. You are talking below the tail lights right where the taillight seal leaks over the years and forms rust? 

bmw88rider
2/7/24 2:45 p.m.

Pending Sold to Cotton. Looks like it's going back to TN where it started life. 

2/7/24 2:55 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

Pending Sold to Cotton. Looks like it's going back to TN where it started life. 

Good. This is a good thing. I'm glad. Really. devil

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
09smRhDQmtHDa55K0t51U1Hh6AEcnhKyVwEffIzmTiBUPawv5bbJDM8t2Tct4ipL