1 2
Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
9/23/21 7:04 p.m.

So this happened: 

Everyone's fine. I know what's out there in the world of scourge that is FB/CL, but I'd rather buy from the Dorkdom. 

Requirements:

$3.5k max;

Auto

Not a total heap. I know it's a tall ask, but worth a shot. I'm in NEOhio; the closer the better. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/21 7:15 p.m.

Glad she's fine.

This will be for sale come Oct 23.  It has pedigree.

She could be the cool mom she always wanted to be.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
9/23/21 7:25 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Oh god. I've bought enough cars that Tom once drove. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/23/21 7:35 p.m.
Stampie said:

Glad she's fine.

This will be for sale come Oct 23.  It has pedigree.

She could be the cool mom she always wanted to be.

Then I take it that the "add lightness" phase of preparation won't include a sawsall. 

Or maybe it will! 

Stampie
9/23/21 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I'm pretty sure Tom has already applied a sawzall.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
9/24/21 5:38 a.m.

How about a 2009 Mazda 5? Mine, Grand Rapids MI.  Possible Delivery to Detroit, where my daughter lives.

Ouch, that looks scary.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
9/24/21 5:45 a.m.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/24/21 8:10 a.m.

In reply to Jordan Rimpela :

Just one, right? Did I forget about one?

Stampie
9/24/21 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I think he's saying one was enough.  I'm starting to agree with him.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/24/21 8:27 a.m.

Do you think this will be enough?  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/24/21 8:30 a.m.

Wow, big hit.  Is everyone okay?  

I don't have anything available in my immediate sphere, but, if you stumble onto anything that is closer to me than it is to you, I'd be happy to go take an initial look at it for you.  

As you know, this is a tough buying market.  The harsh reality is your not gonna get the car you want and you might have to settle for the car you can afford.  All cute SUVs are just so over priced.  Here is a tip to an outlier that seems can still be bought cheaper than most things... Chevy HHR.  

They have some polarizing looks that keeps the "high school/new drivers" away from them.  I find them hard to see out of with their small windows.  I also find the cabin narrow because the bulging fenders are created by moving the seating position inward more than it is from moving the wheels outward.  

But, aside from those negatives, the drivetrain is standard GM fare (if that is good or bad, ha.)  A 2.2L engine in the early years and later a 2.4L engine.  Same engine used in many other GMs.  Generally a Chevy Cobalt wagon. Parts are plentiful, repair is simple at any shop.  The interior gives you suv style functionality just w/o the added height.  

I'll help you find a Gen2 Prius but sub-$4k, that's gonna be a 175k+ version.  That doesn't scare me but not sure about your mom.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/24/21 9:30 a.m.

This link will lead you to the Prius Dismantler that I used once in Ravenna.  I know that he makes runners out of his stash of Gen2 Prius. It might be worth just dropping him a line to see what he has.  

I liked the guy and he seemed genuine.  He speaks Prius very fluently.  I would trust his rebuilds.  What he is probably doing is taking a hybrid battery from a low mile wreck and adding it to a high mile but maintained Prius that needs a new battery.  

Pictures of his operation in this thread.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/24/21 9:55 a.m.

We had a 2010 Mazda5 and it was a great car.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/24/21 11:29 a.m.

28 day old ad (if its not already sold.)  

https://chautauqua.craigslist.org/cto/d/warren-2008-chevy-hhr/7371226699.html

2008 Chevy hhr new brakes struts wheel bearings muffler new inspection, has some scratch's and faded paint runs good  78k miles. asking $3,850.00 call 814-723-6421 or 814-706-5521 Joe

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/24/21 1:20 p.m.
John Welsh said:

That doesn't scare me but not sure about your mom.  

Just popping in to note how incredibly versatile this quote is.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
9/24/21 2:17 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Just one, right? Did I forget about one?

Sadly just the one. I actually want all of your cars. 

Keeping the Mazda 5 in mind. 

maisgelb
maisgelb GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/24/21 8:37 p.m.

Sorry about the Forester. Glad that everyone is ok.

I'm planning to put our 2003 Subaru Legacy up for sale this weekend. 249,784 miles, a few stories, a few issues, and the usual dents, dings, and Ohio rust. AC doesn't work, the engine leaks at the rear, and may have a bad head gasket. No oil/coolant mixing, but it uses some oil and needs to have the coolant topped up occasionally. My mom bought it new and it's been passed down to my sister and then to me. My teenage kids have driven it for a couple of years but now it's time for it to go. I'm just east of Dayton. Haven't decided on an asking price, but probably something in the $1600-1800 range and certainly negotiable. Hoping it will stay on the road and go to a good home.

2003 Subaru Legacy

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/24/21 9:57 p.m.

In reply to maisgelb :

PM sent in case OP declines

saruken
saruken Reader
9/28/21 1:35 p.m.

NEOhio is a ways from east Tennessee, but I have family in Cleveland and have made that drive a million times.

Anyway I have this in my driveway:

1993 Saab 9000 CSE (NA)
170k miles
5-speed stick
2 spare wheels with studded snow tires
No rust to speak of, doesn't leak, lights & wipers work, interior is in good shape

Was going to ask $3500 but would drop that to accommodate shipping cost.

I've been planning to put this thing up for sale since the pandemic made my job full-time remote. I never drive it anymore but it was my daily for years. It's a great car, just no room in the stable anymore.

Current issues:

• Battery is dead
  • AC needs a charge (but heat works)
  • Electric engine fan quits intermittently – My Saab guy says the fan resistor is bad
  • Radio inoperable (maybe needs to be reset after battery died)

Happy to provide more pics/info if you're interested. I have all the records and receipts on this thing going back to '93 too. It was bought new by a family friend; I'm the 2nd owner.

Hope you guys can pick up something good.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/28/21 7:29 p.m.

Can mamma, will mamma, drive a manual trans? 

This V10 Excursion 4x4 looks cheap at $3,900 if not too rusty

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
9/29/21 6:01 a.m.
akylekoz said:

This sold in 20 minutes on Facebook for $3500 to the first person who responded.   By the time they picked it up I had 12 other people inquire.

mdshaw
mdshaw HalfDork
9/29/21 8:21 p.m.

If mom can do motor & trans replacements... find a hi mileage 04-07 TSX auto that the timing chain tensioner skipped-fairly common. Get a jdm K24A & trans for $1k. Throw them in, awesome car for sub $3k. That's what I did. Maybe got real lucky on finding ours for only $1400.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
9/30/21 10:35 p.m.

I'm told that when it rains, it pours.

Or, to quote Robert Burns:

The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men / Gang aft agley,.

Basically, I need to apologize for, well, pretty much everything. You see, shortly after starting the search for the unexpected replacement of my mom's car, my two-year old nephew got sick (he's okay now!) and yeah, my house of cards came tumbling down. My attempt at humor regarding buying a car from Tom went awry (you should, in fact, always buy a car from a GRM staffer if ever given the chance) and then I just stopped looking for a replacement. I'm sorry, y'all.

But with my apology I bring good news: A replacement has been sourced! Sort of. We decided that, since I am not driving much at the moment due to being in grad school, that my mom would take over driving my Volvo (a fine 2015 XC70 T6) given its stellar safety.  We'll look for a XC70 for her once the markets cools back off, which means that I would now be the one shopping for a car.  I shockingly found a car I've always wanted. The catch? It was over two hours south of me in a town called New Lexington Ohio. Yes, I had already logged over 600 miles before making the 400 mile roundtrip trek yesterday, but it was worth it.

I present my new car:

Dealer was asking $3000, and I got it for $2700 out the door. I could not be happier.

Thank you everyone who took the time to help, and again, I'm sorry for not updating sooner. If you need me, I'll be busy giving this poor thing a much deserved bath.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/21 10:57 p.m.

Congratulations, too!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/1/21 7:29 a.m.

Oooh, nice find! And I thought your comments about buying a car from Tom were comedy gold.

Margie

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DmC7cC6L7FVLWeFSQLkBWz4WP7lKPb6y7Dfe1Edb817xm3qqAtbmaRHCUfOOZqhq