newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/12/24 1:52 a.m.

Looks like a bit of a basket case..

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/tarzana-custom-vw-gti-mid-engine-street/7765327776.html

this one says it all

I own and run Precision Motors in Tarzana, California where I hand built this one of a kind mid-engine VW GTI to pay homage to the 80s era Rally cars in European Group B racing.
It took over 2250 hours and well above what I'm asking. I'm ready to move onto other projects and feel this is a great car for someone who wants something unique, very drivable, and ready to go to the track...plus it is street legal since the same engine is being used and all the smog equipment is in tact.
It has extensive suspension work, a complete water cooled intercooler conversion, complete large engine oil cooler and thermostat addition, full functioning stiff bulk head, and functioning AC for HOT days.
One thing to keep in mind, the shifter pattern has changed, after installing the Porsche Cayman S shifter assembly, it can be converted back to the H pattern, but honestly, it is so much cleaner and simpler w this setup and so easy to learn, that I just left it alone.
Only serious inquires only please.
I do not need selling this vehicle.
No scammers and time wasters please,
This car was built by a true craftsman and deserves to go to a good home.
I can assist with delivery.
Precision Motors
805-270-018five
Vanik
$15000 FIRM

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/24 2:00 a.m.

IIRC the twin-engined Durocco built by a GRMer aeons ago had a similar shift pattern on the first attempt at a linkage...but only at one end. Obviously that was not a good situation :)

drew944
drew944 New Reader
7/12/24 5:45 a.m.

Great for that RHD experience of a mirrored shift pattern in a LHD car

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
7/12/24 8:02 a.m.

What is this even doing?

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/12/24 8:13 a.m.

Someone is going to buy this and end up posting in the "The signs were there, but you bought it anyway" thread.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/12/24 8:22 a.m.

Something is incredibly fishy about his shop in Tarzana California. 

Website says opened in 2014, since then he has 39 reviews on Google and all of em are 5 stars?  But this car is an example of what is goin on?

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
7/12/24 8:29 a.m.

Not sure what it says about me, but I kind of love it. Not the build quality, but it's the first mid engine mk6 I've seen.

Now I'm trying to convince my bro that his 300k mile mk6 GTI should live a second life with the engine in the trunk!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/12/24 8:32 a.m.

A lot of effort went into this build.  I'll acknowledge that.

But why? 

Missed the opportunity to put a bigger (read faster) engine into it while in the process.

All he did was pull it from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/12/24 8:37 a.m.
Indy - Guy said:

A lot of effort went into this build.  I'll acknowledge that.

But why? 

Missed the opportunity to put a bigger (read faster) engine into it while in the process.

All he did was pull it from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive.

As "an homage to Group B Rally cars" he wanted to respect homologation rules and had to stick with the factory engine?

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/12/24 9:58 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Right.  And if you're doing the Group B homage, start with some sexy 80's tin, not a 2012 model year.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/24 10:05 a.m.

All you need to do to fix that shift pattern is flip the arm for the side gate 180 degrees. I did that on my Vanagon build. 

eurotechms
eurotechms New Reader
7/15/24 1:35 p.m.

Should be busy working on customer cars....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Db7PC2h0mTkWQF54QTawttVGznhcUCxWrseN3eDksdEoG9EwK7xXFZhY7h3pncCW